C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame Measurements?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 PM
my72vette454
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Frame Measurements?

Does anybody have frame drawings for a 72 that would show measurements from the various measuring holes to suspension points, ball joint centers, ect? I am starting on a c-4 suspension conversion and that info would be helpful in locating the new suspension, getting the wheelbase where it needs to be, ect.

T.I.A.
Mike
Old 01-21-2011, 04:11 PM
V4motorsports
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Found this:

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...me%20specs.pdf

Hope it helps

Russ
Old 01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Mike,
I believe Russ' link is to a drawing from the GM CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL.
There's also a drawing in the AIM that has some center line dimensions for a few of the suspension components.
I'd think you'll need more detail but these are the only 2 I'm aware of.
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

Mike,

I struck out trying to find that same information when I was doing my frame. I ended up just making a separate jig to position the wheels in the correct (or desired) trackwidth, wheel base, and ride height, and then temporarily welding the frame to the suspension jig. After that, it was somewhat straightforward to start positioning the suspension arms in the desired angles and then welding in the appropriate attachment brackets. As I mentioned in our earlier conversation, be prepared to spend a significant amount of time cutting out areas of the frame that compete for space with the new suspension links. (Side note, remember that the C4 front spindles are not in line with the ball joints like earlier suspensions.)

Keep us updated!

Mike
Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Rontech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame drawing

Originally Posted by my72vette454
Does anybody have frame drawings for a 72 that would show measurements from the various measuring holes to suspension points, ball joint centers, ect? I am starting on a c-4 suspension conversion and that info would be helpful in locating the new suspension, getting the wheelbase where it needs to be, ect.

T.I.A.
Mike
Mike,

Here is a frame drawing that I believe is from a 74 or so. The only difference is the aft bumper rail. Yours curves up instead of down.

Ron [IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-22-2011, 12:12 PM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

T.I.A.
Mike
I am seriously considering doing the same conversion. What year equipment are you using and why? I would love to see pictures and updates as you progress. Good luck with your project. Rob
Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I may be missing something here, but isn't there an aftermarket kit for adding C4 suspension pieces to the C3 frame?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 PM
my72vette454
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know of a kit to do that, you can buy frames or take your frame in and have it converted, both are buku bucks. I like tinkering and will enjoy the challenge of doing it anyway. Vetteguy, to answer your question, I didnt like the way the car drove with the latest of 50's engineering on the steering system and when I started seeing c4 conversion stuff showing up that looked like a good way to go. Keep in mind I started collecting stuff 7 years ago and I probably wouldnt go that route now what with all the c3 thats out now but I already made that decision so here I go. The c4 stuff is out of an 86 vette manual trans car.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 AM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I dont know of a kit to do that, you can buy frames or take your frame in and have it converted, both are buku bucks. I like tinkering and will enjoy the challenge of doing it anyway. Vetteguy, to answer your question, I didnt like the way the car drove with the latest of 50's engineering on the steering system and when I started seeing c4 conversion stuff showing up that looked like a good way to go. Keep in mind I started collecting stuff 7 years ago and I probably wouldnt go that route now what with all the c3 thats out now but I already made that decision so here I go. The c4 stuff is out of an 86 vette manual trans car.
There is a lot of nice C3 suspensions stuff out there now but I really want to get away from the trailing arm set up and go with a 5 link rear end. Hope you keep us up to date on your project with pictures, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Frame Measurements?

Quick Reply: Frame Measurements?