C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X pipe VS Single 3"

Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default X pipe VS Single 3"

Which would be better to install, a true dual exhaust, or dual into X into dual, or Dual into single 3" into dual. The easiest for mine would be the 3". The section is only 12" long where the union will be. I am guessing this is where the Cat used to be. The pipe is now a 2 1/2" . What do you guys think? Al
Old 01-09-2011, 11:59 AM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

using an x pipe would give you slightly better power and balance your exhaust tone. use a good one like magnaflow.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alswagg
Which would be better to install, a true dual exhaust, or dual into X into dual, or Dual into single 3" into dual. The easiest for mine would be the 3". The section is only 12" long where the union will be. I am guessing this is where the Cat used to be. The pipe is now a 2 1/2" . What do you guys think? Al
In order from best to worst: (IMO)
1. dual into X into dual (a dual with a crossover or x-pipe is usually considered to be slightly superior to a..
2. true dual (without a crossover or xpipe) which is still better than a
3. Dual into single 3" into dual (because that 3" pipe while it has a cross-sectional area nearly the same as dual 2" pipes simply will not flow as much as the previous two systems.

I actually run the latter of the 3 since my car requires the 2-1-2 system installed in 78 for emissions reasons, but I did update the cat to a 3" hi flow unit - this system is by far better than the original but doubtful its as good as a true dual or dual w/crossover.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

faux,

I'm not an expert on anything, let alone exhaust systems, but wouldn't a twelve inch length of 3" pipe between two 2.5" twin systems act pretty much like an X pipe?

Just curious and willing to learn.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about this, I can extend each 2 1/2" pipes, which would make true duals, but also install an H pipe in the middle. I have heard of this as this is what was standard in my wifes Cobra Mustang. What do you think? Al

Get notified of new replies

To X pipe VS Single 3"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X pipe VS Single 3"