C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5sp Tremec and Steering Column Lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 AM
GasketDude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5sp Tremec and Steering Column Lock

Question goes out to those who've installed a 5sp Tremec/TKO trans and still have steering lock when parked. Since the '69-up incorporate a cable from trans to steering column to lock the steering wheel..how did you keep this feature with the Tremec/TKO? With the standard 4sp, the cable attaches to the shifter linkage but now that has all changed with the shift linkage internal to the 5sp. Just currious how this works since also affects locking the key switch as well.

I don't have my install manual handy and I don't see any mention of it online. How does this feature still work after the install?

GD
Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 465 Posts

This no longer becomes a working piece. Just make sure the arm lock stays in the up position and you will not have a problem. With the shifter on the Tremec there is really no provision for the cable lock. I have done several of these and just make the steering column lock not functional. This way you can leave it in any gear and still remove the key.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

With the lever on the lower end of the steering column in the full UP position (about 1 o'clock if you could see it from the driver seat) you will be able to shut off your engine and lock the steering wheel even thought your car is still moving forward. The system was called the Steering Column/Transmission Shift Interlock. It was a safety feature that GM built into your Corvette.

You will need to secure the lower lever in the full UP position. If the lever moves down you will find that you will still be able to shut off your engine but you will not be able to remove your ignition key.

With the interlock system disabled, you will not be able to lock your shifter, but your steering wheel will be locked when you remove your ignition key.

A lot of owners have removed the Interlock System when they installed headers and/or new transmissions.

Jim
Old 08-28-2014, 11:05 AM
7T3C3TTZ07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread, but I'll post my comments here rather than start a new one:

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
...The system was called the Steering Column/Transmission Shift Interlock. It was a safety feature that GM built into your Corvette. Jim
I installed the TKO several years ago. I like the safety feature that Jim describes. My intent is to preserve the feature of not allowing the steering wheel to lock unless the car is stopped. This car is eventually going to be driven my my daughter and I'm trying to think of 'what might go wrong'. I have thought about how to restore this feature with the TKO installed. Short of designing and fabricating something for the TKO, the only ideas that I have come up with are: 1) To have the cabe somehow linked to the parking brake handle. Activating the parking brake handle (presumably the car is not moving when this is done) would push the steering column interlock up so the key can be removed. 2) Have a spring-loaded manual handle inside to do the same as the parking brake (my current favorite). My $0.002. Regards, Ken
Old 04-25-2024, 11:43 AM
check6
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
This no longer becomes a working piece. Just make sure the arm lock stays in the up position and you will not have a problem. With the shifter on the Tremec there is really no provision for the cable lock. I have done several of these and just make the steering column lock not functional. This way you can leave it in any gear and still remove the key.
Thank you Gordon, I recently installed a 5-speed trans in my 69 vette and I wish that I'd read your comment before I had the ignition lock replaced for not moving to the locked position. But....that's life. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:01 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 833 Likes on 530 Posts

So how did you ,check6, overcome the 'non locking ignition? Did you position the arm permanently in the lock position?
Just curious 🤔

Get notified of new replies

To 5sp Tremec and Steering Column Lock

Quick Reply: 5sp Tremec and Steering Column Lock