C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: 1980 climate control problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:30 PM
demoke
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help: 1980 climate control problem

Recently, one of my climate control levers on my 1980 became slightly stuck. To free the lever, i had to apply a little force. Oddly enough, now the heater and/or ac air only blows through the footvents, none from the face vents.
Can anyone solve this riddle? I must have broken something in my electrical selector switch. Do i need to replace the whole piece?
Thx for any help...
Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

This is the easiest way but may not be the cheapest.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=14156
Old 01-02-2011, 12:24 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by demoke
Recently, one of my climate control levers on my 1980 became slightly stuck. To free the lever, i had to apply a little force. Oddly enough, now the heater and/or ac air only blows through the footvents, none from the face vents.
Can anyone solve this riddle? I must have broken something in my electrical selector switch. Do i need to replace the whole piece?
Thx for any help...
Sounds to me like the two halves that direct the air flow have come apart. Remove the consol side panel on the passengerside and take a look. The retaining clip has probably dropped off too.

Jim
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Looks like this back there...the vac hoses plug into those stubbs. there is a rubber directional gasket sandwiched in there.

[/IMG]

Last edited by jdp6000; 01-02-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:24 AM
demoke
Racer

thx for the pics..can i replace this piece by just taking the passenger side panel off and not having to take the passenger seat out?
is it better to just replace the whole piece instaed of trying to mend or rig together, even though it will cost more?
rs
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 AM
tommyleea
Racer

If it is just the switch, you can remove it through the side panel of you console. Vacuum hose connector, and two screws.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

thx for the pics..can i replace this piece by just taking the passenger side panel off and not having to take the passenger seat out?
is it better to just replace the whole piece instaed of trying to mend or rig together, even though it will cost more?
rs
Sometimes its just the retaining clip that has broken or fallen off. I would look first. Nothing like having the original in there. New is fine but never as good.

Jim
Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 AM
demoke
Racer

i've looked to order a retaining clip but have had no luck finding it. is the reason for no face vent air flow is because one of the small vacuum hoses has become disconnected from one of the stubbs? or is it just that the 2 halves have come apart an need the retaining clip to hold together? can i "rig" something else if i cannot find a retaining clip?

thx for the help...rs
Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 AM
tommyleea
Racer

i've looked to order a retaining clip but have had no luck finding it. is the reason for no face vent air flow is because one of the small vacuum hoses has become disconnected from one of the stubbs? or is it just that the 2 halves have come apart an need the retaining clip to hold together? can i "rig" something else if i cannot find a retaining clip?

thx for the help...rs
Do you hear hissing under the console? I took the side panel off my console on the passenger side. Disconnected the vacuum assembly from the switch, and applied vacuum to the various hoses to see if the airflow changed, which it did. I am getting source vacuum, but it is only 5 inches of vacuum. I don't know what it should be. Anyway, I removed my switch to inspect it, and then broke the little plastic connecter that holds it together. I don't see the bits and pieces for sale, so I will order a new switch. Cheers.
To answer your question it could be either problem, and I am sure you could rig something, but not sure it is worth it. $15 for a new switch.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 AM
demoke
Racer

is this the switch i need?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

is this the switch i need?
[IMG][/IMG]
That would be the part. Its 3 sections. Outer with the nipples,middle rubber with a pattern on it to direct airflow and the front plastic piece. The three must be sandwiched together. Whats off though? The piece the hoses attach to??? Or has that whole piece come apart? The clip I mention holds the hoses to that piece. There is a second clip that holds those three sections in the picture together.

There should be no hose that comes off. all hoses are attached to on plug piece. the One nipple you see with nothing on it is to vent the vaccum when you change the settings on which vent you want air to come out of.

You would get a better understanding if you had it apart. Take it out. 3 Bolts. they can be reached from the passengerside. No need to remove the center consol.

Jim

Last edited by jdp6000; 01-04-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 AM
demoke
Racer

thx jim...i'll take it out this weekend and give it a shot.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

You don't have to remove the seat, but it's a lot easier to get around in there if you do. 4 bolts and 5 minutes is all it takes.

I never liked the carpet on the sides, so I made an aluminum cover. Made it in two halves to gain easy access to the console.

this was before the 5 speed.

Last edited by Avette4me; 01-05-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help: 1980 climate control problem

Quick Reply: Help: 1980 climate control problem