C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The diff went bye bye

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 PM
supervette2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The diff went bye bye

Well I knew the day would come and it did. I haven't posted in a while because I was having lots of fun with this procharged engine. I took it out late at night gave it few hard punches and BOOM. It felt like a mini bomb went off in the back of my car. My headliner feel off and hit me in the head. It seemed as if the 4 speed popped itself out of gear. I went to put it back into gear and there was nothing but revs. RUH ROH! I pull it off to the side of the road and of course I see my driver side tire **** eyed. Needless to say I became a triple A member that night. LOL I get the car in the garage late this summer and jack it up and I see the axle stub sticking out about an inch further than it should.

Now that you all are up to speed, I'm at a crossroads here. The engine is making 800 or so at the crank. Is it even worth rebuilding one of these diffs myself with the Duntov axle stubs, using richmond gear with that rem coating and possibly reusing the eaton posi? Or do I have to shell out the big bucks and convert to solid rear axle? The autofab one I like, but I just wish I could order a solid rear and bolt it into my car and not have to pay someone to weld on my car and hope its all straight. What do you think?

I have heard of a shop called Carrols that is possibly in development of a bolt in kit. At least that is what there site says but they never return my emails or my calls.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:58 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Time to have a 12-bolt IRS diff built.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

800 Hp will be a piece of cake to handle with Tom's Differential stuff for Corvettes. His parts are made by OEM manufacturers and are custom made for him with enhanced strength specifications; i.e update alloys and heat treatments. Tom's has been making C2/C3 rear suspension parts for many years. All the failures of years past have been corrected and today you can get a bullet proof rear end if you buy the top stuff. Unfortunately, Tom today only sells parts. You'll need someone to put it together professionally (Unless you have the specialized skills). Look at Van Steels website, he's a forum sponsor and I think he installs Tom's stuff.
The crown jewel of Toms rear end components was a 12 bolt carrier squeezed into stock Corvette differential case. (Stock is 10 bolt). Also, massive U joints to replace factory stock, and large diameter half shafts.
Tom no longer sells assembled 12 bolt diffs. You or someone else has to build them. Just google Toms differentials and check out his catalog. Have you credit card handy. $$$$$$$

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 12-29-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 AM
UBETRUN
Pro

$6K - $7K for a 12 bolt IRS rearend that will handle 1000HP, tracdogg (Mike) is doing mine.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UBETRUN
$6K - $7K for a 12 bolt IRS rearend that will handle 1000HP, tracdogg (Mike) is doing mine.

Mike is doing my Tom's outer axles in the trailing arms right now and will soon be building me my beefed up differential to handle a mid 600HP LSX engine.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM
supervette2
Instructor

Is that all the parts and installed or just the parts? I can do all the bolt on stuff. Anyway I shake it, this is going to be some moola.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 12 bolt being built by Gary Ramadei up in CT right now (should ship to me in the nest 2 weeks) complete with Tom's hardware & 3.73 gears for under $5K. He does excellent work and has a great reputation.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:13 PM
supervette2
Instructor

pm me his contact info just in case I do go that route.

Thanks,
Old 12-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

PM sent.

Looks like mine ships on Monday ....

12 Bolt LH View-

12 Bolt RH View-

Polished & Tuned Posi-

Old 12-31-2010, 12:23 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Mike does nice work for sure!

JIM
Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 AM
UBETRUN
Pro

Originally Posted by supervette2
Is that all the parts and installed or just the parts? I can do all the bolt on stuff. Anyway I shake it, this is going to be some moola.

That $6K - $7K is for an assembled 12 bolt differential with every possible option including a 4340 chromoly 1480 axle upgrade and new trailing arms, halfshaft loops, bearing supports, bushings, bolts, etc. When it's all done and shipped back to me, I have to bolt it all back into the car.

Both Gary and Mike have tremendous reputations for doing these conversions, I couldn't find anyone with a bad thing to say about either.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:29 AM
supervette2
Instructor

That looks pretty, and in order to make it all work I would need those 3.5 inch half shafts too which are also pretty spendy. This is starting to matching up pretty close to a M9 install quote I received locally to be used with that autofab kit. Decisions, decisions. I think I will mull this over for a bit and keep his contact info for when I'm ready to make a decision.

Thanks for the information guys.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:52 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Since the 12-bolt conversion we're on about maintains the IRS, drawing a simple $ for $ comparison with a solid axle install is somewhat apples and oranges. Nothing against guys who've done it to suit their needs, but something down inside me cringes everytime I see a C2 or later Corvette on the street with a solid axle. My $.02, not that it's my money you'll be spending.

FWIW, that 12-bolt Mike did there looks great. Agree he and Gary have top shelf reputations.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
FWIW, that 12-bolt Mike did there looks great. Agree he and Gary have top shelf reputations.
Just to insure the right builder gets the full credit....the photos I posted are of my unit built by Gary.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I knew the day would come and it did. I haven't posted in a while because I was having lots of fun with this procharged engine. I took it out late at night gave it few hard punches and BOOM. It felt like a mini bomb went off in the back of my car. My headliner feel off and hit me in the head. It seemed as if the 4 speed popped itself out of gear. I went to put it back into gear and there was nothing but revs. RUH ROH! I pull it off to the side of the road and of course I see my driver side tire **** eyed. Needless to say I became a triple A member that night. LOL I get the car in the garage late this summer and jack it up and I see the axle stub sticking out about an inch further than it should.

Now that you all are up to speed, I'm at a crossroads here. The engine is making 800 or so at the crank. Is it even worth rebuilding one of these diffs myself with the Duntov axle stubs, using richmond gear with that rem coating and possibly reusing the eaton posi? Or do I have to shell out the big bucks and convert to solid rear axle? The autofab one I like, but I just wish I could order a solid rear and bolt it into my car and not have to pay someone to weld on my car and hope its all straight. What do you think?

I have heard of a shop called Carrols that is possibly in development of a bolt in kit. At least that is what there site says but they never return my emails or my calls.
Man,your lucky you got to play with it with that much hp.mine has less hp then that and i blew mine up twice.These cars rears cant handle much abuse.Gary does really good work,when i get back to work and make some money again ,i want him to build me one.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Originally Posted by Ray Y
Just to insure the right builder gets the full credit....the photos I posted are of my unit built by Gary.
Alrighty then.

FWIW, that 12-bolt Gary did there looks great. Agree he and Mike have top shelf reputations.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:21 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

There is nothing bolt on about a 12 bolt conversion. The case has to be machined and there's lots of fitting, shimming and tweaking to stuff that big ring&pinion in there. If you consider all the time Gary & Mike spend doing one of these conversions they could make more $$$/hour working at McDonalds.

Get notified of new replies

To The diff went bye bye

Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep, that one is Gary's. I use a different color paint.
Mike
Old 01-01-2011, 11:13 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
If you consider all the time Gary & Mike spend doing one of these conversions they could make more $$$/hour working at McDonalds.
Unfortunately this is so true.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Highhat
Pro

These 12-bolts look awesome, but just as an alternative, I have been using Duntov's differential and drag racing it, and it has held up now for 3 years.

Quick Reply: The diff went bye bye