C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for owner of an original +73 C3

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default question for owner of an original +73 C3

I'm having my car painted right now and one of the problems we are still trying to get rid of is what is called 'ghostlining'. Essentially this is the body seam showing through in the paint when the car gets heated.

At first I thought it was only related to the bonding paste i used in repairs, but apparently the original seams show through as well when the car is put in the heated paint booth. The disappear as the car cools down.

Did you guys notice this on your original cars as well, for example when they are out in the hot son. This must especially noticable on a dark colored car.

PS : don't ask me for pictures, because this is difficult to capture on a camera.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:34 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I haven't seen it on my '73 and we have hot weather here in Dallas. Sure would like to see pic's of your '73...not of the issue you're talking about, but just of your car in general. What color you going with?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FriscoSteve
I haven't seen it on my '73 and we have hot weather here in Dallas. Sure would like to see pic's of your '73...not of the issue you're talking about, but just of your car in general. What color you going with?
It's not a 73. I asked for +73 because these have the SMC panels. Anyway it's not something that is very clear. You would need to look for it.

My car is not even ready so i have not really something to show for.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi B79,
My understanding is that even in the 71 model year the bodies were a combination of the original glass and smc.
The method of dealing with the seams that seems to have the highest success rate is to grind out the various seams into a wide 'v' shape and then fill the 'v' with tapered layers of mat and resin using NO filler to finish. This helps eliminate the heat caused shrinkage of different materials from showing through the paint.
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi B79,
My understanding is that even in the 71 model year the bodies were a combination of the original glass and smc.
The method of dealing with the seams that seems to have the highest success rate is to grind out the various seams into a wide 'v' shape and then fill the 'v' with tapered layers of mat and resin using NO filler to finish. This helps eliminate the heat caused shrinkage of different materials from showing through the paint.
Regards,
Alan

Highest rate, does this mean it doesn't always succeed ?
Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Is ANYTHING 100% sure?
For instance, there could be a tiny hidden air bubble in the resin that might cause troubles later.
My car was painted about 5 years ago.... no seams showing through yet.
For many people who want a paint job it's too much work and therefore too many $$$.
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Superstock
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was always under the impression that gel coat would take care of the seam problems . Am I wrong ?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Superstock
I was always under the impression that gel coat would take care of the seam problems . Am I wrong ?
That would be interesting and a very fine solution to my problem. Are you sure about this ?
The thing is that is has something to do with the expansion rates of the materials being different. I don't see a layer of gelcoat taking up that expansion, but who knows...there were more things about these cars I would see possible.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:38 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine's been repainted and I can certainly see seams in the rear deck.

Get notified of new replies

To question for owner of an original +73 C3

Quick Reply: question for owner of an original +73 C3