C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Starting Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Winter Starting Help!

So I've only had my 69 since March of 2010 and have had it started at least weekly since i've owned it. As of November it hasn't been started and now I need to get it running to move it and I don't know how to handle cold start?

Usually if I didn't drive it for a week it would take a little while to fire up with me giving it some gas.

Seems like it smells like I'm flooding it but the carbs look dry in the 3 areas i can open the butterfly and look into...
I have the dash partly apart(center cluster and passenger side pad)
Didn't know if those needed to be in to function?

I guess I need to look at the plugs and see what's going on...
Old 12-26-2010, 08:06 PM
northern77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pull the air filter and dump about 2 ounces of fuel in the carb and it should fire up.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:20 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by northern77
I would pull the air filter and dump about 2 ounces of fuel in the carb and it should fire up.
I haven't done my carb rebuild yet so what part of the carb should I be dumping it into?

the front chamber or the two rear chamber?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:24 PM
northern77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front
Old 12-27-2010, 10:06 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

I tried the gas and it didn't work.

I guess I'll need to check the plugs and see what else I can do for it...
Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

HEI's really shine in very cold weather.

Your carb may just be empty, crank until you can get fuel with the accelerator pump on carb and then make sure choke plate is closed or have someone hold their hand over the horn as necessary while cranking and until warm enough to run on it's own.

May want to check for spark too.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Winter starting instructions are well laid out in the owners manual. If your car still won't start, there's a problem most likely with choke adjustment or fuel delivery.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:08 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

So with the gas smell is that just because it's not starting while still trying to turn over. Or is that because I'm actually flooding it?

I'd hate to pour more gas into the carbs when they're already flooded...
Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

How many carburetors are you talking about? In any case, one of them should be equipped with a functioning choke. If not, that might explain your difficulties.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
How many carburetors are you talking about? In any case, one of them should be equipped with a functioning choke. If not, that might explain your difficulties.
I'm pretty sure the choke works as even in the summer it'll have higher RPM's for the first 5mins of driving before it finally comes down...
Old 12-27-2010, 03:15 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Well if I didn't know any better I'm not getting spark.
I took a plug out, grounded it to the block and turned it over and didn't seem to get anything.

Best place to check to figure out why?

Only thing i did with the engine this winter was the PO had put a kill switch in that I took out. It was just 1 wire coming off the neg. terminal of the coil to a switch. Not even sure how it actually worked since I don't believe it was interrupting the ground at all. It seemed like it was just an extra leg in the system that didn't need to be there.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned, a functional choke is essential. Also, since you've got some wiring apart, maybe pick up a cheap spark tester to make sure the plug's are getting something. A can of starting fluid(ether) wouldn't hurt either. When getting it started, make sure you bring it up to operarating temperature's before storing, to avoid trapping combustion moisture. Also, since the fuel's getting a bit stale, probably a good idea to syphon it out and put in some fresh stuff. Just use up the old stuff a few gallon's at a time in your daily car's.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Default Started!

Okay. I got it started. Turns out there were two different wires that came off the negative terminal of the coil. I only had the one connected and when I saw that it started right up.

Only problem is now I have another issue to deal with that popped up. Something is wrong with my shifter/manual trans.

Reverse=can't get it into
Neutral=reverse
1,2,3,4= it just wants to stall.

I think I'll start another thread about this as I have a feeling it's an entirely different problem that I'll need help on.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boy, sound's like you're having all kind's of fun over there. Obviously you've got some transmission linkage problem's, and sound's like it's trying to shift into two gear's at the same time. Linkage inspection is a good place to start, as something may have come loose. Get a second person to run the shifter, while you watch what's going on underneath.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Boy, sound's like you're having all kind's of fun over there. Obviously you've got some transmission linkage problem's, and sound's like it's trying to shift into two gear's at the same time. Linkage inspection is a good place to start, as something may have come loose. Get a second person to run the shifter, while you watch what's going on underneath.
that's not the half of it.

My previously functioning headlights no longer pop up, so i'll have to trouble shoot the vacuum system when I get settled in to my new place.

Although on a more positive side I did get the interior lights to work. I had a bad coil in the rheostat that I just soldered to a solid on/off switch.

I just feel stupid that I didn't spot the ignition problem before going through asking all these easy questions about it.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
that's not the half of it.

My previously functioning headlights no longer pop up, so i'll have to trouble shoot the vacuum system when I get settled in to my new place.

Although on a more positive side I did get the interior lights to work. I had a bad coil in the rheostat that I just soldered to a solid on/off switch.

I just feel stupid that I didn't spot the ignition problem before going through asking all these easy questions about it.
No harm, no foul... we all overlook things. Betcha I got more issues with my vette (79)than you. You have my favorite model year vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Starting Help!

Quick Reply: Winter Starting Help!