C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Long Tube 1 7/8" Headers, Stainless Steel!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:53 PM
0CUSTOM IMAGE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Long Tube 1 7/8" Headers, Stainless Steel!

These have been in development for many months and they are finally ready and in stock! Here are the details:

C3 Corvette, Possibly C2 Corvette
Primary Size: 1 7/8"
Collector Size: 3"
Flange: 5/16"
Material: 321 Polished Stainless Steel
Fit: Small Block Chevy, Straight Plug Heads
Price: Special Introductory pricing is $575
Shipping: $50 Continental US, email for international shipping

Get them while they are hot!!

You can contact me by:
Phone: 507-581-3076
Email: CustomImageCorvettes@gmail.com
Old 12-18-2010, 02:45 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Are these the headers that Motorhead (Wayne) helped you develope?

Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Damn, those are nice.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:50 PM
0CUSTOM IMAGE
Former Vendor

Yes, these are the ones that we worked on. And he was very happy with the fit. I'm sure that he will chime in at some point.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:11 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How about developing a set for LS-conversion C3's? There are more of them every day.

Rick B.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

You mention fit for straight plug heads, but most hi-perf small blocks that would use these headers probably have aftermarket angle plug heads.....would these fit OK? Does MotorHead (Wayne) have angle plug heads? (AFR 227's, I think?).
Old 12-18-2010, 05:57 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Glad to see you guys finally got them in production.

These are the real deal, stainless steel 1 7/8" primary headers. The quality is second to none as the first one who gets their hands on them will no doubt be able to pass on.

I never had a chance to get the full set on mine yet but they are what I believe will put me over 500HP at the rear wheels, we will see. Anyway I got a free set that's it, so that's about as far as it goes for me in the cheerleader department but I can tell you the quality is top notch.

Here's a pic of one in my basement

Old 12-18-2010, 05:59 PM
0CUSTOM IMAGE
Former Vendor

72, I am working on some for the LS cars. Especially since I do a lot of the LS swaps for C3 vettes.

C3 Stroker, I just spoke with Wayne and he said that they fit his angle plug AFR heads. I have another customer that has angle plug Edelbrocks and they don't fit his.

So we will keep updating the thread and let people know what heads do and don't work. If someone out there has a different angle plug head and are interested in a set let me know and we will work something out so we can let others know.

Last edited by CUSTOM IMAGE; 12-18-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:43 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CUSTOM IMAGE
72, I am working on some for the LS cars. Especially since I do a lot of the LS swaps for C3 vettes.

C3 Stroker, I just spoke with Wayne and he said that they fit his angle plug AFR heads. I have another customer that has angle plug Edelbrocks and they don't fit his.

So we will keep updating the thread and let people know what heads do and don't work. If someone out there has a different angle plug head and are interested in a set let me know and we will work something out so we can let others know.
Put an O2 bung in them, It can always be plugged if someone doesn't want to use an O2 sensor.

Rick B.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice looking.
Hey guys, what is the benefit of stainless, besides no rusting I assume. Do they flow better?
Also will some be made for a BB , 2 inch primary tubes.
Thanks,
Old 12-18-2010, 11:57 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll wait for a used set on E Bay, haha.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

nice!
Old 12-19-2010, 03:01 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How thick is the header flange? I remember the key selling feature for Doug Thorley used to be that his flanges were thicker than the rest ... such as 5/16" VS: 3/8 or something similar.

AHA! I see 5/16" on your original post ... sorry. Wish I could afford a set! I'm working on some tired old Hedman's that were put in years ago with the motor. Dying to get something better in there.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:07 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Looking at the collectors, I would think they will cost some HP over Hooker Super Comp 1.75" headers (taper is wrong and an abrupt transition to outlet.) Stainlessworks headers have the same problem and cost about $400 more but, they are USA made. Hope someone really takes the time to address this problem.

Motorheads collectors look a lot better than final product but even they have a welded transition step in their collector taper, that again will leave some HP on the table.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:39 AM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Looking at the collectors, I would think they will cost some HP over Hooker Super Comp 1.75" headers (taper is wrong and an abrupt transition to outlet.) Stainlessworks headers have the same problem and cost about $400 more but, they are USA made. Hope someone really takes the time to address this problem.

Motorheads collectors look a lot better than final product but even they have a welded transition step in their collector taper, that again will leave some HP on the table.
That my friend is called a Merge Collector. Merge Collectors are used in NHRA, NASCAR, ALMS, FIA-GT, and Grand Am. They were designed to obtain the highest exhaust flow and velocity. The merge collectors are purge tig welded which makes the transition as smooth as possible. Merge Collectors have the best volumetric efficiency vs. the standard collector.

So in a nut shell they are BETTER than the super comps. And on top of that they are 1 7/8". I don't see Hooker or Stainless Works offering that size primary.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERPOWERS
That my friend is called a Merge Collector. Merge Collectors are used in NHRA, NASCAR, ALMS, FIA-GT, and Grand Am. They were designed to obtain the highest exhaust flow and velocity. The merge collectors are purge tig welded which makes the transition as smooth as possible. Merge Collectors have the best volumetric efficiency vs. the standard collector.

So in a nut shell they are BETTER than the super comps. And on top of that they are 1 7/8". I don't see Hooker or Stainless Works offering that size primary.
I'm looking at this before work after I get home I'll post some pictures of some real merge collectors. You are sadly mistaken, niether set of headers has anything resembling a true merge collector. I'll stand by my statement, these headers will make less HP than an off the shelf set of Hooker Super Comps due to failure in their collector design/execution.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm looking at this before work after I get home I'll post some pictures of some real merge collectors. You are sadly mistaken, niether set of headers has anything resembling a true merge collector. I'll stand by my statement, these headers will make less HP than an off the shelf set of Hooker Super Comps due to failure in their collector design/execution.
OK back up your statement with some facts, numbers and data from a credible source that these new 1 7/8" headers will make less power than the 1 3/4" Hooker Super Comps I'll be waiting for you to get home today and I know what merge collectors look so if pictures of merge collectors is going to be your proof don't bother posting

You have to prove that a smaller diameter pipe at the head into a slightly bigger pipe is going to have a detrimental effect on the header performance, no matter who makes them. These headers were a long time coming and fill the void of some of use with high HP to warrant a bigger primary tube to get the max HP out or out engines.

It is now here and you are trying to make it look bad for some reason. If it's a personal problem with me, feel free to PM or email me but don't take it out on a new Vendor without any data to prove the header won't make more power. I have a feeling you are not going to be able to back up your statement that these new SS headers will not make as much HP as the Hookers

I was planning on making more power with these headers over the Hooker Super Comps.I happen to think they will make more power and plan on doing back to back chassis dyno tests with the Super Comps

No one but these guys are making 1 7/8 inch primary all polished and ready to go unless you want to pay 3x as much and get no customer support.

Stepped racing headers always start with the smallest primary and get bigger and bigger ( I know these aren't stepped racing headers ) so I don't think the tapered down part is going to hurt these headers. It think it will help them. The primary pipes cover the exhaust port on my AFR227's that's the important part of these headers.

I will be testing these headers to see how they stack up against the 1 3/4" Hooker Super Comps which I already have chassis dyno record and printout as soon as I can get around it.

My money says I make more HP with nothing changed except remove the Car Chemistry baffles I had in there and put dual catalytic converters on it. I figure that will be close to wash.

What I do is actually test parts and components myself to see if the part is doing what it is supposed too, not what I read or someone tells me

As far as the flanges are concerned the prototypes were made from billet steel, you couldn't bend them with a sledge hammer Custom Image can tell you more about them

These headers are very well made here's the comparison I posted a while back in another thread about these headers and the Hooker Super Comps

Hooker Super Comps flange for Paul to compare to these new headers. The dark areas around
the port are where exhaust gasses are hitting the flange, not what headers are suppoesed to do, there a good few ponies just by that. These new SS headers cover the exhaust port on my AFR227's.

Up until now we had to put up with BS from Hooker, I had to ding, smash , cut out a length of primary tube to make it longer
And they are asking $450 for black painted heeaders

Protoype SS header

Last edited by MotorHead; 12-21-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Long Tube 1 7/8" Headers, Stainless Steel!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:54 AM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suggest that if you are going to start making statements like this that you have the data to back it up! Have you Dynoed the Super Comps? Have you dynoed these headers? Furthermore Hooker does NOT make a 1 7/8" primary small block long tube for C3 Corvettes! So you can't even do a true comparason. 1 3/4" headers are for a different application than 1 7/8" headers. So until you have some concrete data to bring to the table I suggest that you keep your comments to yourself.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:46 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Hooker does make a long tube 1-7/8 small block header straight plug in the side mount config with 4" collectors that probably outflow most units. These stainless units on this thread do look like really nice units and I have one of my cars with angle plug heads and was leaning toward the Hedman units (1-7/8 with 3-1/2 collectors under the car) because of that. I would be interested in the clearance if any for angle plug heads with these stainless units because I would prefer stainless.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:13 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Those look great!!!
Anyone who has ever had stainless headers will agree, i'm sure, that they are the only way to go as far as durability and appearance go.
The price sure sounds right! I'm hoping that they are american made.
I think they should sell very well.
Thanks for taking the time to put togrther, what looks like a quality product.
I have a set of stainless sidepipe headers on my '69 s.b. and I would never go back to anything else. Bought them from a forum member used for $800.00 if I remember correctly. but they came with the 4" chrome sidepipes and mufflers....Thanks Corz!

Quick Reply: C3 Long Tube 1 7/8" Headers, Stainless Steel!