C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardened Push Rods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:43 AM
trainor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardened Push Rods?

I'm about to put some IK180 Brodix heads on my 1975 L-48. Before I do the teardown I was wondering if anyone knows if the stock push rods in this motor from the factory are hardened. The reason I want to know cause if it doesn't I need to order a set pryor as we haven't any shops here that stock them. I spoke with an engine builder and he said there is a good chance they are hardened. Anybody with input is appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

"Hardening" is a relative issue. What you need is strength and wear resistance. When spending big buck$ on an engine, better [than stock] pushrods is necessary.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:10 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
"Hardening" is a relative issue. What you need is strength and wear resistance. When spending big buck$ on an engine, better [than stock] pushrods is necessary.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 PM
DO2G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trainor
I'm about to put some IK180 Brodix heads on my 1975 L-48. Before I do the teardown I was wondering if anyone knows if the stock push rods in this motor from the factory are hardened. The reason I want to know cause if it doesn't I need to order a set pryor as we haven't any shops here that stock them. I spoke with an engine builder and he said there is a good chance they are hardened. Anybody with input is appreciated. Thanks
I just bought the same heads. What length push rods are you going with?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:06 PM
trainor
Racer

Originally Posted by DO2G
I just bought the same heads. What length push rods are you going with?
I was told to go with the stock length just make sure the are hardened. What HP are you expecting to gain. I was told with the cam and all I have to expect 50hp gain.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 PM
rbrock
Intermediate

Unless the heads form the L48 had guide plates and screw in studs then it wouldn't have had hardened push rods.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:19 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

My AFR 195's came with docs that recommended Chromoly pushrods. I think it cost me only like 75 bux for the set or so.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:20 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrock
Unless the heads form the L48 had guide plates and screw in studs then it wouldn't have had hardened push rods.
Hardened pushrods are for use with guide plates. Do your new heads have guide plates?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:43 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

If you use guide plates you must use hardened pushrods. I use the .080" wall Comp Pro Magnum pushrods in mine
Old 12-15-2010, 03:19 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

check your rocker arm geometry first, then order a hardened set, there is a good chance your stockers are the wrong length, you won't know until you check.....good luck.....
Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny opinions everywhere, stock pushrods are harden, don't think so? try cutting one! Anyway the right answer is that you need to check everything and be sure of the length you need, no one can tell you for sure what you need till you check them! You should have the contact of the rocker in the middle of the valve tip at 50% lift. Chrome Moly rods are a good choice because they are soft but have good memory and don't bend easy. Being soft is why they do not break as easy and they give and spring back, not the best for HP but then they don't break very easy either.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 AM
DO2G
Pro

I was told to go with the stock length just make sure the are hardened. What HP are you expecting to gain. I was told with the cam and all I have to expect 50hp gain.
Yes on the HP and use Hardened Push Rods. Brodix told me to check for the accurate length.

Get notified of new replies

To Hardened Push Rods?

Quick Reply: Hardened Push Rods?