C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding, knocking while rolling, rear right hub is hot

Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Ryan68Vette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding, knocking while rolling, rear right hub is hot

I was driving my 68 vette home from work and a I noticed a grumbling in the rear, I thought it might be my posi, but as I continued to drive I noticed that it was still grumbling even on a straight trajectory, then the car started making an almost knocking sound that went with the rotation of the tire, but it was obviously coming from the right side of my car. So basically there is both grumbling and this knocking, I checked under the car, and obviously I couldn't see anything, but when I got home, I decided to feel my hubs, and the left was rather cool, but the right hub was significantly warmer, almost hot. I just got home and haven't been able to jack my car up or take the tire off for an inspection, and won't be able to until this weekend. This car isn't moving until the issue can be addressed, but I wanted to get some input from you pros, so I know what to look for, and if someone else has had similar issues maybe you can share what was wrong, and what I need to do. I will admit that I am not an esteemed mechanic, but I can do some of the basics. Also, just to put this out there, I had my car in the shop not very long ago and had the brake booster replaced if that would have anything to do with it (maybe continuous brake pressure). Thanks a million guys for the help.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

jack up the rear end grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and check for play ,then grab the wheel at 3 and 9 check for play.it sounds like a wheel bearing .you should also check your u-joints.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Ryan,

I think you are wise not to drive the car until you can determine the cause of the noise in the rear end. There are a number of possible causes which can run from a pain but not too expensive to repair, all the way to a much larger pain and much more expensive to repair.

One thing to keep in mind is that the rear wheel bearings in these cars need to be serviced just like front wheel bearings, if not as often. The problem is that it is so troublesome and expensive to do that almost no ever does it until they are performing a frame off, or the bearings fail. So right off the bat I would suggest checking out the rear wheel bearings.

Jacking up the rear of the car and spinning the wheel/tire assembly can provide some answers. You will need to support the swing arm so that it does not go to full droop or the U-joints will bind and provide confusing information. You can also disconnect the half-shaft from the spindle and it should spin freely and let you diagnose a wheel bearing issue much more conclusively.

It could also be a caliper dragging on the rotor from a stuck piston. Or it could be the result of the parking brake assembly breaking loose and dragging on the drum as the rotor spins.

If at all possible try to have someone with experience on the rear end of C2's and C3's assist you. It will save you time and a lot of frustration.

If you do decide that the rear bearing/hub/spindle is the problem, one solution is to simply remove the swing arm and send it off to someone like Bair or Vansteel and have them rebuild it. They (as well as some other excellent vendors here) will do a fast and excellent job on a project you can't afford to experiment on and definitely don't want to do a second time.

Good luck... GUSTO

By the way, welcome to the Forum Ryan and let us know where you're located, there may be someone here in your area that can be of more direct assistance.

Last edited by GUSTO14; 12-08-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Ryan68Vette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terry82 and Gusto14 thanks for the heads up. Yeah I will definitely perform the checks you recommended and will report back with any questions. Thank you for the quick response; I really appreciate it.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Time for rear wheel bearings. Do both sides.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:33 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 649 Likes on 347 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

How many miles on the car ?

Get notified of new replies

To Grinding, knocking while rolling, rear right hub is hot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding, knocking while rolling, rear right hub is hot