C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side window adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:17 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Drivers side window adjustment

So tonight a friend came over from the forum (thank you Ben!) to help me do some work on my '73. Last week I removed the drivers side window and replaced all the rollers and tonight we put the window and regulator back in the car.

Adjusting these windows is a nightmare!!!

So after we put the window in and swear that we've tightened every nut and bolt, I can still grab the window and move it back and forth and up and down...I'd say about and inch or so each way.

What could cause this...especially since we replaced all of the rollers? Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Appreciate it!
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 AM
GunPowder
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Back and forth movement: Did you install the anti rattle cushions? Without that cushions you can move the window easily back and forth.

Up and down should not be possible to move easily and that much (a little play is possible since you can "twist" the horizonzal guide a bit or move the rollers in the horizontal guide by moving the window.

The vertical guides are fastened properly (two bolts at the top, one at the bottom)?

Any pics?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:53 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Yes we have the anti rattle cushions installed and the vertical guides as well. The back and forth movement I'm referring to is to the front of the vehicle and to the rear of the vehicle. I can also 'tilt' the window by grabbing it and moving one way or another. Again, about an inch or so, making it impossible to get adjusted! Thoughts?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,252 Likes on 970 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default maybe you left something loose.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Very helpful doc, thank you. I have a lot to take a look at this weekend. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
firstvett69
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driver window

I will add my 2 cents worth, although you have replaced every thing, I dint here you say anything abought the window regulator, If it is the original one it is worn just like all the other parts you have replaced the rivets ware in the holes and this will give you slop in every direction. You might want to check it. How do I know. Just replaced everything in my driver window, except the regulator, window loose as a goose, replaced regulator, Problem solved. Good Luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Well that would really suck but I bet you are 100% right. These things are a PITA!!! I mean seriously....was this the best engineering could do back then? LOL. Those windows and rollers are not easy to get in and out.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 PM
bucky-katt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because their engineers didnt actually work on the cars. when i was training as a BMW cycle tech, i found out that you have to have been a mechanic for many years before you could be hired on as an engineer. that policy shows too. theyre the easiest motorcycle to work on of the dozen or so brands i've worked on.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

If you have the AIM, on page UPC 1, K2, there is a roller bolted to the forward end of the glass. This roller goes into the vertical guide, forward end of the door. This roller and guide should limit the front-rear travel.

Is this roller loose on the glass? Did you get the roller into the channel? Is the channel (guide) securely fastened to the door, top and bottom?
There are four bolts on the top of this guide, the inner bolts when loose allow the guide to shift forward or backward. This should be the limit of possible travel, only when the bolts are loose.

The anti rattle cushion will tend to stiffen the window travel in and out, toward the console and away from.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
If you have the AIM, on page UPC 1, K2, there is a roller bolted to the forward end of the glass. This roller goes into the vertical guide, forward end of the door. This roller and guide should limit the front-rear travel.

Is this roller loose on the glass? Did you get the roller into the channel? Is the channel (guide) securely fastened to the door, top and bottom?
There are four bolts on the top of this guide, the inner bolts when loose allow the guide to shift forward or backward. This should be the limit of possible travel, only when the bolts are loose.

The anti rattle cushion will tend to stiffen the window travel in and out, toward the console and away from.
Spot on.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 PM
oldboat
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

look at the picture above. toward the center there are two screws marked "C". they control the window tilt. make sure they are fastened and make sure the roller for the short channel they control is actually in the channel.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:38 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Thanks guys. This weekend I'll do all the above and hope that the regulator is good. Will report back.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FriscoSteve, The assembly instruction manual (AIM) has the best written instructions for door glass adjustment. Purchase the AIM and follow the steps in the order they are listed. That's how the door glasses were set on the assembly line.

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers side window adjustment

Quick Reply: Drivers side window adjustment