C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 SB Spreader Bar Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
kwikcc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 SB Spreader Bar Concerns

Purchased a spreader bar for my 73 SB.Have figured out the install.With the stock fan in place i'll have to lower the mounting brackets for the bar about 1/4" off the flat bar .Read a few threads on cracks showing up on the towers after the install of the spreader bars.Any one have any thoughts, my car is a DD no racing no motorcross.Is it worth the possible trouble. Only looking for a better ride with some improved handling. Thanks for the info
Old 12-07-2010, 08:16 AM
KanuckZ06
Instructor

I installed one on my 69 BB vert, along with the rebuilt front suspension it has made a difference, less cowl shake, and the car seems to track better on the road.
In my opinion, a worth while investment.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If you can tell the difference on a car being driven anywhere close to legal limits, you've probably got a weak frame.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:51 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

well, my 70 coupe used to push like a dump truck untill i put a spreader bar on. now it's silly loose in the back.almost looped it a while back getting on it in a corner.i'm gonna losen it up a little to correct this. worthwhile investment. YES.

Last edited by fugawi; 12-07-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

The spreader bar just stops most of the flexing at the top of the frame where the upper A arms attach. This can be significant but the whole frame flexes a lot. With your car running turn your steering wheel back and forth and watch your engine move. This is because of the frame rails moving, you see it at the engine mounts even with a spreader bar. The spreader bar is not going to crack your frame. My guess is the people you found cracks already had them. My suggestion is to tighten the bar by pulling the frame inwardly, not pushing it outward. This should help a good frame not crack in the future. Also on a race track this reduction in flexing of the frame is very noticeable.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Any time you can strengthen a body on frame car with additonal support you will notice the difference from a variety of perspectives, not just in racing. Corvette bodies offer no real structural support to the frame like a true body on frame steel car-the reason for the very heavy frame-however, attempting to prevent frame flexing through essentially one plane-horizontally in the case of the vette (the passenger compartment as well vertically)is only going to be of limited success. The front tip of the frame is pretty much only tied to the main frame through the lower horizontal brace. It will flex under any normally driving-road bumps/irregularities, engine torque, and suspension movement-at legal speed limits! Why do convertibles flex more than coupes-no upper cross bracing. How do I know this?

Every car I have owned in the last 10 years I installed some sort or strut tower brace or in the case of the 1994 Mustang GT convertible (subframe connectors underneath the car). Today's unibody cars are MUCH stiffer than the 63-82 framed vettes and even on my 2001 pontiac grand prix and 2008 Chrysler 300, adding strut tower braces significantly changed multiple characteristics of these cars:

1. Car is generally tighter (less squeaks)
2. Handling noticeable improves since there is less chassis flex before the suspension can react.
3. Steering reponse noticeable improves.
4. The car rides better-less flexing of the chasiss

These changes are on new cars guys! Think what it will do for your vette.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I can't say that mine made a great deal of a difference but honestly I just cruise in-city and on the highway. It can't hurt (I have never heard of frame damage attributed to one).

Old 12-08-2010, 10:11 AM
ragtag74
Racer

Default spreader bar

Hi Paul I see you installed a bar with stock fan.I am considering the same on my 74 with a stock fan.can you still change belts with out removing the bar? John

Last edited by ragtag74; 12-08-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ragtag74
Hi Paul I see you installed a bar with stock fan.I am considering the same on my 74 with a stock fan.can you still change belts with out removing the bar? John
Good question! I hadn't thought of that and my car is not at home so I can't check the clearance, bar to fan housing. But in any case one side can be unbolted in less than a minute and the bar dropped down
Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't mean to hijack but I must have read the directions upside down. Anyway I have my Vette on the ground and tighten the spreader bar so it pushes against the towers not pulls them in.

Am I doing it the wrong way ?
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Don't mean to hijack but I must have read the directions upside down. Anyway I have my Vette on the ground and tighten the spreader bar so it pushes against the towers not pulls them in.

Me too. I have installed 3 of them this way. Am I doing it wrong also?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Are you saying that you can move (pull in) the towers by adjusting the bar?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

For you guys like Paul that installed a spreader bar on small blocks with the OEM mechanical fan, I have a had a VBP spreader bar for years and have never put it on my 78 since i am just not real comfortable having the 90 degree mounting brackets welded to the straight steel piece that connnects to the upper control arm-the clearance to the fan blades and other accessories seems too close for comfort. How close is it on your cars with mechanical fans and how did you get the measurement perfect and welded so that there were no clearance issues? Thanx.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

I pulled the frames together to increase the amount of negative camber, got another .5 degrees. Once the bar is tightened it probably doesn't make much difference, it just becomes a support.
I ran my bar with both stock fan and electrics. I had it welded lower for clearance, doesn't need much.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
For you guys like Paul that installed a spreader bar on small blocks with the OEM mechanical fan, I have a had a VBP spreader bar for years and have never put it on my 78 since i am just not real comfortable having the 90 degree mounting brackets welded to the straight steel piece that connnects to the upper control arm-the clearance to the fan blades and other accessories seems too close for comfort. How close is it on your cars with mechanical fans and how did you get the measurement perfect and welded so that there were no clearance issues? Thanx.
With respect to VBP I could not figure out their installation with stock fans so I went with another product (a Forum sponsor as well) that did not need welding. Since my choice is a Forum sponsor I can post a link.

http://speeddirect.com/index.aspx?nodeID=183

Things are close but I did not have a problem in 2010.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-08-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:18 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

If you are installing the tie bar with a stock fan and shroud, a 3/4 in dia. bar needs to be centered approx. 1in,below the bolt centerline of the upper control arm mounts. It should also be slightly foreward of the same two bolts front to back. This puts the bar in close proximity to the fan pulley, but any torque from the engine will be rotational, and twist the pulley away from the bar.
The commercial welded units I have seen have the bar centered vertically with the a-arm mounting bolts and mounted over the front mount bolt. They can't be used with a stock fan and shroud.
Mine is home made, is close to the pulley, but I have not had any issues since its install 4 years ago.
As to its effectiveness, I did find that it helps take some of the front end flex from the car when crossing dips, bumps ect.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Ghunt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a sponsor, how about a name?

Get notified of new replies

To 73 SB Spreader Bar Concerns

Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Are you saying that you can move (pull in) the towers by adjusting the bar?
No I can't even jack up the back wheel without the front wheel coming off the ground.

The spreader bar on mine is installed so it pushes against the shock towers instead of pulling them in and I would like to know which way you are supposed to do it.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 254 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by paul 74
With respect to VBP I could not figure out their installation with stock fans so I went with another product (a Forum sponsor as well) that did not need welding. Since my choice is a Forum sponsor I can post a link.
Thanks Paul for posting. I did not know that there where bolt on solutions for stock fan setup which is why I have not installed a spreader bar. I'll take a closer look at this solution.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

No I can't even jack up the back wheel without the front wheel coming off the ground.

The spreader bar on mine is installed so it pushes against the shock towers instead of pulling them in and I would like to know which way you are supposed to do it.
I've very sorry. I do not know what you mean. I just tightened up the bar against the A-arms and left it at that. Nothing will move in or out in that configuration.

Quick Reply: 73 SB Spreader Bar Concerns