C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 01:45 PM
fishfirst
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator

Hi guys.It is time to replace my radiator.I have a 1978 L-82 w/68000 miles.I want to make the right decision.It is all original.Ido not think I wil ever make it a show car.I woud like to keep it close to original.Some of the radiators with the electric coooling fans looks interesting.(not original I know but would the engine run better and cooler).
Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

If the cooling system is in good shape and everything is correct on an original style system electric fans will not make it run cooler or better. Since you are looking for a new radiator look into a Dewitts. He is on the forum here and many here including me have used his radiator with excellent results. I run electric fans because I did not want the stock fan and 90% of the time you do not need the fan. I run A Dewitts radiator and dual fan setup and never even think about cooling anymore. Not cheap but quality never is.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:46 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
If the cooling system is in good shape and everything is correct on an original style system electric fans will not make it run cooler or better. Since you are looking for a new radiator look into a Dewitts. He is on the forum here and many here including me have used his radiator with excellent results. I run electric fans because I did not want the stock fan and 90% of the time you do not need the fan. I run A Dewitts radiator and dual fan setup and never even think about cooling anymore. Not cheap but quality never is.
What Gordonm said.
You can "make" something cheaper work but you won't find better quality and fit than Dewitts.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
snoopykissedlucy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My two cents:
Since your car is mostly original......I would get the aluminum radiator and keep the fan.
With the shroud still on.............it will look kinda original and run cooler(aluminum will dissipate the heat faster).
Make sure to buy one of those zinc anode things that go into the radiator to keep it from corroding.
I run a Griffin aluminum radiator with a clutch fan on my big-block 1969 Camaro with no fan shroud........and it keeps cool at 180 all day long.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:59 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a radiator from my 77 that I was going to sell since I'm not using it with my LS conversion.
It is the same as the original 4 core, I bought new about 3 years ago, used it a couple months then it came out.

Email me at; frank@itpphoto.com if you might be interested.

Thanks,

Frank

Get notified of new replies

To radiator

Quick Reply: radiator