C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does it seem that all the early "C3" racing corvettes were convertibles??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
JCPerformance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all your responses--great thread with lots of info.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:36 AM
JCPerformance
Instructor

I know this is old, but I had some more insight on this:

If they were worried about weight and aerodynamics, wouldn't a coupe with the side windows down and the rear window out provide less drag, less weight, more aero, and more downforce than convert hardtop car? I think if I was building an early C3 road race car today, that may be my best option, right?
Old 02-01-2015, 02:22 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

another couple things, the first part of 68 they only made convertibles and there was more room for roll bars in a convertible, and easier access to install one.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:11 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a big corvette poster in my garage . It's old like me.,,, . It's been up in Garages 30 plus years . A lot of old school racing .

A lot of racing C3 in it too.

Every one is a convertible that is racing on that poster

Either with a hardtop or raced as an open roadster. I love those pics .

It was aerodynamic deal.....they were slicker model at that point in time.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:21 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

how can an open top car be slicker?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

An occasional coupe:

Old 02-02-2015, 05:57 PM
holley505
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Come guys .... because its easier to install a roll cage
Old 02-02-2015, 09:09 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPerformance
If they were worried about weight and aerodynamics, wouldn't a coupe with the side windows down and the rear window out provide less drag, less weight, more aero, and more downforce than convert hardtop car? I think if I was building an early C3 road race car today, that may be my best option, right?
The following is based on what I learned from crewing on a BP Solo Corvette in the late 70's, building a GT-1 Corvette in 81, and from playing with Corvette vintage racers for the last 10 years.

First off, in some series such as FIA International endurance racing, if the car had a roof, then it was required to run full glass. A convertible with a hardtop was also required to run full glass, while an open car was only required to run a windshield. So in some series, if you were running a closed body, you had to have all of the glass in place.

A 68-75 convertible with a hardtop on it, is more aerodynamic than a 68-77 coupe. Air flows much better over the hardtop's rear widow, than the coupe's tunneled one. A convertible without a hardtop, and a cut down windscreen, will also be more aerodynamic, than a coupe with a full windshield, even with the tops and glass removed. The big rear window 78-82 coupe body, is the only closed body that is aerodynamically superior, to the 68-75 convertible with a hardtop on it.

The SCCA allowed coupes to run without door glass, and the rear window and t-tops removed, but they were still required to run a full stock windshield. Up until around 1980, the SCCA allowed convertibles to run a cut down windscreen, giving them a decided aerodynamic advantage, over a coupe. Take a look at the two pictures below. Even with a full cage, the black #93 is obviously more aerodynamic, than the #71.

A convertible with or without a hardtop, is lighter than a similar coupe. For racing, both a convertible (with or without a hardtop) or coupe body, would be gutted of all extra weight (headliners, moldings, seats, wiring, etc). Once gutted, even with a hardtop, a convertible is going to be lighter, just by the simple fact that it doesn't have the extra weight of the coupe's birdcage. The actual extra weight isn't that big a deal, as both bodies were required to meet the same minimum weight. The problem with the coupe's extra weight, is where it's at. The extra weight of the birdcage is up high in the body, causing the coupe to have a slightly higher center of gravity.

Originally Posted by holley505
Come guys .... because its easier to install a roll cage
Very few race cars, used a full cage in the 60's and 70's. Prior to about 1980, all that was required by the SCCA was a roll bar, not a full cage. Only unit body cars, like Mustangs and Camaros used cages, and they used them as a means of strengthening the car's structure, more than for added safety.

When building a race car, with a fully gutted interior, there really isn't much difference in putting a roll bar into a coupe or convertible. Especially when that coupe is a t-top.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The following is based on what I learned from crewing on a BP Solo Corvette in the late 70's, building a GT-1 Corvette in 81, and from playing with Corvette vintage racers for the last 10 years.

First off, in some series such as FIA International endurance racing, if the car had a roof, then it was required to run full glass. A convertible with a hardtop was also required to run full glass, while an open car was only required to run a windshield. So in some series, if you were running a closed body, you had to have all of the glass in place.

A 68-75 convertible with a hardtop on it, is more aerodynamic than a 68-77 coupe. Air flows much better over the hardtop's rear widow, than the coupe's tunneled one. A convertible without a hardtop, and a cut down windscreen, will also be more aerodynamic, than a coupe with a full windshield, even with the tops and glass removed. The big rear window 78-82 coupe body, is the only closed body that is aerodynamically superior, to the 68-75 convertible with a hardtop on it.

The SCCA allowed coupes to run without door glass, and the rear window and t-tops removed, but they were still required to run a full stock windshield. Up until around 1980, the SCCA allowed convertibles to run a cut down windscreen, giving them a decided aerodynamic advantage, over a coupe. Take a look at the two pictures below. Even with a full cage, the black #93 is obviously more aerodynamic, than the #71.

A convertible with or without a hardtop, is lighter than a similar coupe. For racing, both a convertible (with or without a hardtop) or coupe body, would be gutted of all extra weight (headliners, moldings, seats, wiring, etc). Once gutted, even with a hardtop, a convertible is going to be lighter, just by the simple fact that it doesn't have the extra weight of the coupe's birdcage. The actual extra weight isn't that big a deal, as both bodies were required to meet the same minimum weight. The problem with the coupe's extra weight, is where it's at. The extra weight of the birdcage is up high in the body, causing the coupe to have a slightly higher center of gravity.

Very few race cars, used a full cage in the 60's and 70's. Prior to about 1980, all that was required by the SCCA was a roll bar, not a full cage. Only unit body cars, like Mustangs and Camaros used cages, and they used them as a means of strengthening the car's structure, more than for added safety.

When building a race car, with a fully gutted interior, there really isn't much difference in putting a roll bar into a coupe or convertible. Especially when that coupe is a t-top.

I'm curious about something. With a decent roll bar installed, the upper rear portion of the birdcage steel is kind of redundant. Did anybody "hollow out" the bodywork around the rear window to just remove that portion of the birdcage weight?
Old 02-03-2015, 12:32 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
I'm curious about something. With a decent roll bar installed, the upper rear portion of the birdcage steel is kind of redundant. Did anybody "hollow out" the bodywork around the rear window to just remove that portion of the birdcage weight?
The Corvette we raced in the early 80's, didn't have a birdcage in it. Though it had a full, stock Corvette frame under it, it was really almost built like a tube frame car. The roll cage ran the whole length of the frame, from the very front to the very rear. The body was just a skin to cover everything up.

The body was made up of 5 pieces of fiberglass. A nose, rear clip, hood and two door skins. The rear clip was just one large, light weight piece. All of the fiberglass was attached to the roll cage by quick release Dzus fasteners. The only part of the body that was from a stock Corvette, was the cowl and windshield frame.

We were able to build the car that way, because it was built under the SCCA's later, more liberal GT-1 rules. The two cars pictured in my previous post, were built to the earlier SCCA AP/BP and Trans-Am I & II rules, which were much more restrictive. I'm not as familiar with the earlier rules, as I was never involved in a car that had to race under those rules, but I don't think they would have allowed the removal of the birdcage.

The first picture below, is the Corvette we built in 81. The second picture is of Greg Pickett's Corvette at Summit Point, after being rear ended by ***** T Ribbs. Pickett went on to finish the last 7 or 8 laps, with the rear bodywork missing. This picture gives you a good idea of how little of the stock Corvette was being used by the 80's.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:55 AM
JCPerformance
Instructor

I hope this is clearly stated:

So if I wanted to build today the best/max performancing 68-69 corvette from one of these two following setups, it would still be the convertible body with side windows down and hardtop on (my preference if convert.) over the coupe body with t-tops on (my preference if coupe) with side windows down and rear window out??

This is my understanding from this conversation. At speed, I would think air would get trapped under the hardtop versus be able to escape with the rear window out on a coupe.

Thanks for all of your input!

Last edited by JCPerformance; 02-03-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:44 PM
wzschirnt
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

An old thread, but from my short road-racing career, my .02 -
2 things:
- Cages were easier to put in a roadster.
- Roadsters were a LOT easier to see out of.

walt z.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:01 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPerformance
Sorry. Figured you guys know more than google...
thank you.
No body knows more than the googler and all that the googler says is true....I'm still waiting for that Nigerian princes to deposit that huge sum of money in my account while I try to figure out what happened to the money that I had...

Quick Reply: Why does it seem that all the early "C3" racing corvettes were convertibles??