C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBC side pipes stainless or chromed

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Street Shaker
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BBC side pipes stainless or chromed

Who makes the best side pipes. I'm switching to side pipes and was going to order from hooker, which are better stainless or chromed and I'm also thinking of ordering STS Turbo spiral mufflers.Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

-Paja
Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 AM
jerome1979
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO:
better side pipes --> Hooker
better material --> stainless steel (won't rust)
another good option is ceramic coated !!! it won't peel as chorme !!!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 AM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Last time I checked, Hooker did not offer BB Side pipe headers in Stainless.

I think the options are chrome, ceramic or black.

Hopefully, that has changed.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Vtechcorvette
Advanced

We have BB stainless on our 66. Got them from Stainless Works (not cheap) Work great!! http://www.stainlessworks.net

Gary V
Old 11-26-2010, 06:50 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

check out a guy here named custom image.
he has stainless BB sidepipes which supposedly fit better than the hooker and are about half the price.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:07 AM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's in the budget, go stainless. I got chromed steel for my BB, and no matter how well you take care of them, rust will start somewhere.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Neptune75
Pro

Buy them in black from hooker... test fit them.. happy with fit send them to Jet Hot coatings. they dip the headers and pipes. that means they are coated inside and out! you will be happy with end result.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Neptune75
Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coq6jnuoQ8U
Old 11-27-2010, 07:10 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Neptune75
Buy them in black from hooker... test fit them.. happy with fit send them to Jet Hot coatings. they dip the headers and pipes. that means they are coated inside and out! you will be happy with end result.
I was going to do this until I read Lars' post about how crappy these things fit. I then called jet hot to see about buying a set from them and even the tech there said there was an indefinite wait on BBC hookers sidepipes from them because of quality issues.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Neptune75
Pro

i have seen some quality issues with hookers pipes and headers.. no question. i bought them in black took them home fit them in i had to "massage" the dimple in the drivers header to clear the steering box. after i did that i sanded out some of the welds that were on the collector. after all was said and done i sent them out.. waited about 3 weeks man when i got them back they were nothing short of amazing..
Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 AM
retrodude
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set I got a couple of years ago from XS-Power. They are all stainless and doesn’t cost 1700.00 like Hookers do. If you get a little scratch or anything, I just hook up the drill/buffer and whamo, all gone. They also have the best customer service of anybody I've come across. I believe the whole set is well under 1000.00 for stainless. This includes the baffle inside the side pipe. I don't work for them or anything, I just love to pass along their info because I was able to put side pipes on when my wallet said I couldn't. If you would like their info, just let me know. I believe they offer cash back bonuses if you send them pictures they can use too.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:35 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

The stainless sidepipes from XSpower cost 1200 bucks. I know he has some in stock ready to ship now.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:47 AM
retrodude
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

My mistake... You are right, looks like they are 1200 for BB and 900 for SB.
I still can't say enough about their customer service and the "no rust" part is my favorite about the stainless. Tell the the Orange Vette sent you and they'll give you 75.00 off since you were refered.
I don't work there, just want to spread the word to all the side pipe owners there is a great stainless pipe out there for a great price.

Last edited by retrodude; 12-26-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:28 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by retrodude
I still can't say enough about their customer service and the "no rust" part is my favorite about the stainless. Tell the the Orange Vette sent you and they'll give you 75.00 off since you were refered.
I don't work there, just want to spread the word to all the side pipe owners there is a great stainless pipe out there for a great price.
Make sure you get these directly from the Custom Image guy.
There are some fitment issues I have read about if you get them directly from the factory. He makes sure that every set fits correctly before they are shipped out.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Street Shaker
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by retrodude
Appreciate the info. I happen to be at a Local Pacific Corvette shop when they were installing set of Hooker chrome side pipes and they really looked good, so I ended up getting a set of them and set of STS baffles along with some stainless heat shields. Polished Stainless headers and side pipes are nice but once they get some heat in them they tend to lose the shine and need to be rebuffed every so often if you want them to look good. Had set of stainless headers on my other car and the shine sure didn't last long, needs a lot of polishing to keep them looking good, chrome is easier to keep clean.
I will be installing them in couple weeks along with my custom built O/D Transmission 4L80E.
I'll post some feedback to let you guys know how everything goes, hoping that the transmission fits in the tunnel without a big surgery.
-Paja
Old 12-26-2010, 03:03 PM
retrodude
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Chrome is much easier to clean. My stainless get a little yellow look to them. I sponge on a little Bar Keepers Friend, wipe it off and follow up with a little glass cleaner. I had some big scratches this year in one. I was at a show and some lady had her kids stand on the pipes so they could see in better. Buffing wheel and 15 minutes later, all gone. I would have to say they both have their goods and bads to them.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:24 PM
0CUSTOM IMAGE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys I am finally over here.

Yes, I have the Big Blocks in stock. I worked with the manufacturer and we made some revisions to them so that they fit better and you dont have to cut your rockers!! This has been in the works for many months and we are very excited about them.

They are $1200 shipped to your door in the lower 48. Call or email for international shipping rates.
We have shipped to Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Canada, Sweeden, Abu Dhabi. Wherever you are we can get them to you!

Maintaining the polished finish on these is not very much work. They will turn color on the area that is under the hood but the area on the outside of the car stays very shiny. I don't know what kind of finish Hooker puts on their stainless headers but the finish on ours is as shiny as you can get.

For your $1200 you get: Headers, Side Pipes, Mufflers, side pipe mounting hardware & gaskets. They are very high quality, 321 stainless steel (very strong because of the added titanium). These are not cheap overseas crap. They are made right here in the good ole USA.

Call me
Email me
Text me
PM me

I take them all and I am available 7 days a week, day and night. If you think it is too late to call send me a text, I may just surprise you!

Josh Powers
507-581-3076
CustomImageCorvettes@gmail.com

Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:30 PM
0CUSTOM IMAGE
Former Vendor

Here is a video of them on a 69 427 Corvette with Sweet Thunder 2.5" inserts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uoE0Bh2Wcw

if you don't like the included mufflers you can order STS inserts or Sweet Thunder inserts, they both fit and I am affiliated with both companys.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 PM
mj9311
Racer

Originally Posted by eastltd
Last time I checked, Hooker did not offer BB Side pipe headers in Stainless.

I think the options are chrome, ceramic or black.

Hopefully, that has changed.
as of recently im pretty sure you're right but the ceramics are really good but stainless is always ideal

Get notified of new replies

To BBC side pipes stainless or chromed

Quick Reply: BBC side pipes stainless or chromed