C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 Speedo/Tach cluster removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:48 PM
81NcVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 Speedo/Tach cluster removal

I realize there are a bunch of posts concerning the removal of the speedo/tach cluster, but I couldn't find one for the 81 with very specific instructions. It seems there are some nuances between the various C3s that make the procedure somewhat different for the different model years.

I began by removing the 3 screws on top and 2 on the side of the glass covering. I then pulled the glass covering off and put it aside.

Next, I removed the 3 screws on top of the actual cluster.

I next removed the little piece of trim under the steering wheel which revealed the 2 hex nuts that were also holding in the cluster.

At this point I am stumped - I tried pulling the cluster out and while the top seemed somewhat loose, the buttom was still attached somehow.

Does anyone have any idea what I am missing? Are there some more screws that I have yet to locate or is mine just wedged in there?

Is there not some way to do this without removing the entire dashpad?

It's 32 years old and brittle, so I'm hesitant to start to force things.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:17 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Definitely not a good idea to force 30 year old plastic parts. Ask me how I know.

I know the cluster can be removed without removing the dash pad. I have done it on my '79, although its been a while and I don't remember exactly how many screws were involved.

Have you disconnected the speedo cable?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

The column will have to be dropped to get it out. What's your motivation for getting it out?

It's also held by the speedo cable. You can probably disconnect this from the cruise control modulator, if you have one, to get a little more wiggle room, but you'll need to remove the cable from the gauge in any case. You'll have to remove the harness connector as well before it will come all the way out.

The cluster is only held in place with some small screws.

^-- 5 screws hold it to the dash pad. 3 on top, one on each side. You can also see the speedo cable and harness connector in the photo.

Willcox's website has some great walkthroughs on pulling the cluster.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 PM
81NcVette
Advanced

Hi drwet... thanks for the info.

No... I have not disconnected the Speedo - I have cruise control (which doesn't work) if that helps.

How does one disconnect that cable and is it necesary if I want to just gain access to the back to change the bulbs and access the harness - want to check why my ebrake light does not work.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If your issue is the BULB, all you need to do is pull the lens and the black plastic fascia. If it's the socket or PCB you'll have to pull the entire assembly.

Rear view:

You can pull the bulbs out of the sockets from the front without disassembling much. I recommend replacing as many as you can while you're in there. The only ones you won't be able to get are the speedo.

To disconnect the speedo... you grab something and pull back on the cable. I think from looking at that photo it's just a spring clip that puts pressure on the cable to prevent it from pulling out. So pull the clip towards you (rear of car) while you push the cable towards the firewall.

Last edited by Shark Racer; 04-04-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 AM
81NcVette
Advanced

Hi Shark Racer - thanks for the pics and info. Quick question - how do you separate the black plastic facia from the green housing... do they just snap apart?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I've had my cluster out twice. You might consider changing out the headlight and wiper switches while you are in there. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...ng_removal.pdf

I have done this without dropping the column several times but it has been a while.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 81NcVette
Hi Shark Racer - thanks for the pics and info. Quick question - how do you separate the black plastic facia from the green housing... do they just snap apart?
Nothing snapped apart. The lens came out, then there's a plastic surround for the gauges themselves. The surround is held with allen key screws.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

This is the newest version of how to remove the tach speedo housing.. better pics..
The column can stay in.. but it helps give some extra room if you remove the 5/8" bolts that hold it to the lower support.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=290

Get notified of new replies

To 81 Speedo/Tach cluster removal

Quick Reply: 81 Speedo/Tach cluster removal