C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
got one
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Swap?

How much/what is involved in taking a four speed car to an automatic? Year 68-72

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 12-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

The biggest probelm is the 4 speed crossmember is welded in. You have to make the X member removeable to get the auto in. Most people want to go from auto to 4 speed, why go to an automatic? It can be done fairly easily.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:31 PM
got one
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gordonm
The biggest probelm is the 4 speed crossmember is welded in. You have to make the X member removeable to get the auto in. Most people want to go from auto to 4 speed, why go to an automatic? It can be done fairly easily.
Honestly, I like the convenience of an automatic for city driving...and the option of a shift kit. I have a Viper that I cruise around for speed...this will be a fun around town car.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

I would opt for a 4 speed overdrive automatic if you are going the auto route. It can be done fairly easily but you must cut the cross member. Also the correct way to do it is to put in the auto pedal. I have seen hack jobs were they just cut the clutch pedal out or leave it in just disconnected.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:11 AM
got one
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I would opt for a 4 speed overdrive automatic if you are going the auto route. It can be done fairly easily but you must cut the cross member. Also the correct way to do it is to put in the auto pedal. I have seen hack jobs were they just cut the clutch pedal out or leave it in just disconnected.
Interesting...do you know anyone who has done this? Wonder what the cost would be?
Old 12-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Many here have done this swap. There have been 200R4 700R4 and even the newer 4Lwhatever transmissions. The best and least expensive seems to be the 200R4 transmissions. Try Bow Tie overdrives for info on this.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Swap?

Quick Reply: Transmission Swap?