C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How should an engine be started that has not run for 7 years?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:57 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bucksy99
I did the above steps the engine is running but from a different fuel source. I couldn't get any fuel out of the line after I disconnected it from the carb. There is a little bit fresh gas and sea foam in it so something should come out...

I really want to avoid having to drop th tank. Can I disconnect the line at the tank and try to blow it out with air before I get into anything else ?
Disconnect the rubber hose going from the frame to the fuel pump at the fuel pump. Be ready to plug the line, you may get flooded. If it's plugged, you can blow thru towards the tank. You may blow off the strainer in the tank pickup line.
You may instead syphon out the tank and then put a couple gallons of cheap lacquer thinner in the tank. It will dissolve any deposits in the line or on the screen and drain out the front into a pan or bucket with longer 3/8" hose.
When tank line is clear, then connect to fuel pump and new filter in carb and it should be good. Fuel pump may not last too long though, dried from sitting.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
bucksy99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks noonie

I was able to siphon out the line going back to the tank. I got some deposits out and then clean fuel. There is also a second, smaller line going back to the the rear. Is that the vapor line ?

Even with the line from the tank now being open I still don't get any fuel coming out of the line that goes from the pump to the carb when I crank the engine. I was even able to siphon fuel out of that line through the pump.

At this point I assume the pump is bad.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:57 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Mom had a '63 Olds F85 with the aluminum 215 ci engine and small roto hydro tranny.....

it was the car I drove in school....then in '66 bought my own first car after college and one month in the Army....it was a '60 vette....

but to the Olds, which sat unused in the garage for some 25? years until about '87 or so....same tank of gas, brakes, the car was driven in the garage with....

so when dealing with it, I had to rebuild the carb....did not bother with the gas in the tank, it was about 1/3 full at that point....Lord knows what the evaporation rate was....

and so did the obvious, carb, brakes, and such to get it to run....

drove it kicking and screaming to the gas station, filled it up, and drove the sox off it....

sold it maybe 3 months later.....

same oil, same filter, same tranny fluid, same same everything....

did have to drain and rebuild the brakes though....damn DOT 3 crap....

but just the m/cyl and wheel cylinders....drum brakes , remember what THEY are, anyone??

Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prime it! Buy the tool (with the busing) that goes into where the dist shaft sits, and spin it with a drill to get the oil moving. Then spray some WD40 into your spark plug holes.

Quick Reply: How should an engine be started that has not run for 7 years?