C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Bunch of different tranny problems...If in RTP, please refer me somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 PM
ImBlackMomba
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A Bunch of different tranny problems...If in RTP, please refer me somewhere

So Sunday out of nowhere, my transmission gave me problems that I haven’t experienced before. Ive been doing research here on the forum since and have gathered a load of information. However, I seem to be having problems that 10 different people had all in one.

Please let me know what you guys think. Im curious to know if I should drop the pan, change out the filter, and see if that fixes the problem.
I will say, in all of the post I see where you guys say “I hope the tranny fluid isn’t dark or it could be a problem”… my fluid is dark but doesn’t look like motor oil. What should I do?

TO GET TO THE PROBLEMS…
#1 My tranny fluid is disappearing. When I went out on Sun, I warmed up the car put in gear and I didn’t go anywhere. When I got out and pulled the dipstick, it showed that it was low. As baffled as I was, I added about 1.5 Qt while idiling and drove the car about 2 miles.
Today a day later, I warm the car up and the fluid is low again. Ive looked and looked and cant see a sign of any leaks.

#2 Tranny is making a whining noise. To add, when I start the car and the car is idiling, the engine runs with no problems. But just as soon as I hit the throttle a little, the engine makes a howling noise. This noise sounds like its coming from the front of the tranny.

#3 Here’s the kicker, when I put the car in R, 3,2,1… I get a nasty noise that I cant even describe. Sounds almost like a nasty grinding noise. I almost get a nasty pulse if I attempt to move the car. When the Car is in P or N – the noise dies back now. This noise sounds like its coming from the rear of the tranny, almost in the drive shaft.

Could it be something as simple as a vacuum issue? My headlights recently stopped going up on there own recently and I don’t know if that was a sign for crap to follow. Do vacuum leaks spread?

Where should I start with troubleshooting?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't see any leaks. Mostlikly the modulator diaphram ruptured and the fluid is getting sucked in the engine. But as for the other problems I think your trans is toast.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:08 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Artsvette73
If you don't see any leaks. Mostlikly the modulator diaphram ruptured and the fluid is getting sucked in the engine. But as for the other problems I think your trans is toast.

Typically if an engine is sucking trans fluid it'll blow white smoke out the tail pipes, that's one way to support the theory, and if you're "loosing" trans fluid, but don't see it on the ground or underside of the car it has to be going somewhere and the modulator is the only place that can happen. Too bad you're not closer, I have a TH350CC sitting in my garage...
Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

If you are able to bring it to Greensboro, there's a tranny shop here in town that I would highly recommend...

If you're interested in checking it out:

Bill Cook's Tri-City Trans
3836 High Point Road
Greensboro, NC 27407-4648 (336) 855-8322

He's got a great reputation. Offers a good warranty on the work too.

Might even have a loaner car that you can use to travel back and forth while he fixes yours. ‎
Old 11-16-2010, 07:08 PM
ImBlackMomba
Racer

Modulator diaphram, is that internal? If it is sucked into the engine, is that going to make the engine go next? Its been raining like hell so i have to wait until tomorrow to see if its in my radiator.

Originally Posted by damoroso

Typically if an engine is sucking trans fluid it'll blow white smoke out the tail pipes,
I only get white smoke on a cold start up and it last for a few seconds. For a sec I was worried it was a head gasket but I could tell by the smoke that it wasnt. Other than that, I dont experience any white smoke what so ever.

This modulator, is this the thing on the side of the tranny? Can it be easily gotten too? Simple napa part?

Originally Posted by KTKelly
If you are able to bring it to Greensboro, there's a tranny shop here in town that I would highly recommend...

If you're interested in checking it out:

Bill Cook's Tri-City Trans
3836 High Point Road
Greensboro, NC 27407-4648 (336) 855-8322

He's got a great reputation. Offers a good warranty on the work too.

Might even have a loaner car that you can use to travel back and forth while he fixes yours. ‎
Exactly what I was looking for. Im new to Raleigh but Im originally from Martinsville not too far north from you. Ill be in Greensboro next week for Turkey Day so maybe I can get some help flat towing it over there. Do you think he will beat me up on price? From the calls ive done, I can almost buy one for the cost to rebuild it.

I came across a shop on craigslist (i know) and the guy said a rebuild would run me $650 and would carry a 12month warranty. He's down in the Ashboro area. Ive was trying to research him. Triad Tranny or something or another.

Last edited by ImBlackMomba; 11-16-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

He's probably not going to be as cheap as the CL guy in Asheboro, but then you do get what you pay for.

No way some CL part timer is working on anything of mine. You do that and you're not thinking straight...

Bill's shop did my in-laws Toyota Sienna, maybe a month later they had a problem while on a trip to Asheville (one of his guys goofed) and he sent a flatbed with a loaner to them immediately.

I had the tranny in my 06 2500HD done by his shop and it was actually a little less than I was quoted elsewhere (and I received a 3 year warranty).

I suggest giving him a call, telling him what's it's dong, and asking for a ballpark number for repair..
Old 11-19-2010, 05:42 PM
ImBlackMomba
Racer

Originally Posted by KTKelly
He's probably not going to be as cheap as the CL guy in Asheboro, but then you do get what you pay for.
I agree... This happened OUT OF THE BLUE where I was least expecting it. Now Ive had some time to think and prepare myself for a bill like no other.

Anyone care to take a shot or give an opinion on this. Im still trying to diagnose my tranny to see if I can find out what the problem might be. Im still having problems and Im scared as all hell to drive it too far from my home if at all.

My storage where all my tools are and where I work on the car are about 3-4 miles from the house. I figured if I can get there, Ill drop the pan, drain out the fluid and filter IF its worth it.

Back to my problems.... When I start the car up, the car appears to run just fine UNTIL I give it a little gas and rev on her. At that point, I still get the whine from underneath the mid section of the car.

Secondly, from a stand still when I put the car in gear it does go in motion however, I get a bad screech from what sounds like the rear of the car when in R,3,2,1. The sound appears to be louder when in 3 and faintly goes away as I get lower in gear.

1. Check tail pipe after cold start - no signs of white smoke
2. Checked the radiator - the coolant is as green as can be so from what I know, no sign of fluid getting into the motor.

The fluid in the tranny IS dark and smells a little burnt. Should I give in and just buy a new tranny or have this one rebuilt?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Like I said before from what you decribe you have broken hard parts and fried clutches. Dropping the pan won't help at this point
Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 PM
russde
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Forgive the auto trans ignorance...but how in the world can transmission fluid get sucked into the engine?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

The THM 350 has a vacuum modulator to aid in shift. It gets its vac. from the engine. If the diaphram ruptures trans. fliud will get sucked in through the engine
Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 AM
wnmech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The THM 350 has a vacuum modulator to aid in shift. It gets its vac. from the engine. If the diaphram ruptures trans. fliud will get sucked in through the engine

I have had this happen in the past and it will definately suck that transmission dry of fluid. The modulator is easy to check just remove the vacumn line from the modulator down on the transmission and if there is any fluid in the line it is bad. It is pretty much you are in need of an overhaul but me being the cheapskate I would pull the pan just to see if the filter is clogged.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:00 PM
ImBlackMomba
Racer

Originally Posted by wnmech

I have had this happen in the past and it will definately suck that transmission dry of fluid. The modulator is easy to check just remove the vacumn line from the modulator down on the transmission and if there is any fluid in the line it is bad. It is pretty much you are in need of an overhaul but me being the cheapskate I would pull the pan just to see if the filter is clogged.
This morning, I drove the car up to a well known tranny shop here in Raleigh. From what I was told from the owner, his gut tells him by the look and feel of the car and what I had explained... its the filter that is clogged and causing my problem.

When I suggested to him the help that I received here on the forum, he told me that it may be true that the internal clutches may be burning however its more than likely due to a clogged filter and the tranny starving from fluid.

Too add, he explained that this is why Im noticing problems when the car is started off a cold start. When I tried to replicate the problem after driving it up there, the car didnt skip a beat. From his explanation, it was due to the fact that by time I drove up to the shop, the tranny had warmed up and any particles at that point had worked there way through the filter which allowed the fluid to flow throughout the tranny.

So after than novel, he quoted me $300 to completely flush the tranny. Should I do this myself or should I save myself the mess and the trouble.

Ive read of people disconnecting the lines from the radiator and running new fluid as the old runs out. Thing is, Im solo here in Raleigh.. is this a one man job?
Old 11-20-2010, 03:03 PM
ImBlackMomba
Racer

I was told that one of 2 things would happen....

1. this may only be a temp fix and may last me a few thousand miles or more before I need a rebuild.

2. Once the tranny has new fluid, its possible that it may not move at all. Its just a matter of spending $300 or $1200

Get notified of new replies

To A Bunch of different tranny problems...If in RTP, please refer me somewhere

Quick Reply: A Bunch of different tranny problems...If in RTP, please refer me somewhere