C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak turn signal.. headlights involed somehow

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:57 AM
PapaJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak turn signal.. headlights involed somehow

Hey guys..

Noticed my right turn signal is very week and when the headlights are on my right indicator glows on my dash.

This is on my 77.

Any ideas?

Is it just a bad ground somewhere?

Thanks,
PapaJ
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey PapaJ,

I'm about to do a write up of all my electrical issues during the restoration, in which Roger is so kind to be supporting me. I have (had) exactly the same issue (at least if you are talking about the right side front marker?), but my keybuzzer was also ringing 24/7.
Here's a quote from Roger : "On the RF turn signal and side marker your describing the classic NO ground to the RF turn/park bulb socket. The reason the dash indicator is lighting up is it is being used as a ground for the turn/park bulb. The side marker is wired a little different from what most people are used to-notice in a diagram that the side marker has NO ground,both wires are connected to the RF turn/park bulb-one wire to the turn filament wire and the other to the park filament wire !!! The ground actually flips back and forth depending if the turn signal is on."

I isolated the issue on my car it being the turn signal switch inside the column. Whenever it's bolted down to the column the issue occurs, when I unbolt it it works fine (no weak RH park light, no glowing indicator with headlights on and no continues key reminder). I guess when its bolted down wires gets pinched or something of the switch is making ground.
What I did before this was clean all ground connections, one on the radiator core support & one just above the horn (inbetween the headlight vac relays). One thing I also checked was the extention harness from the main front harness to the park light, and oh yes it was plugged in wrong bending one of the lugs so not making contact.

Not saying this could help you with your problem, just sharing what I found in a similair situation, so don't dig into the steering column before someone else has some good ideas
Nick
Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 AM
LeSkid
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have what seems to be the exact same issue, only with the left. When headlights are on, the left indicator stays lit.

The outside signals do flash, but more slowly than the right side. Oddly, they alternate flashing front / rear instead of flashing both at the same time.

Does yours alternate flashing front / rear too?

I'll be following this thread
Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Look at the grounds on the header, core support and from those parts to the frame. One of them will be bad.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:05 AM
PapaJ
Instructor

So I can't find any bad grounds up front..

I have narowed it down to the running lights. It's does not seem to be connected to the headlights just the marker/running lights. Going to start checking the rear end tomorrow.

Thanks,
PapaJ
Old 11-21-2010, 09:50 PM
PapaJ
Instructor

Default Update

So I unpluged my front PS turn signal bulb and now my right side blinks.
However, I'm still having something causing a back ground to my dash as the right turn says lit when running lites are on. I feel like just rewireing the whole thing!

Last edited by PapaJ; 11-21-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:04 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Try removing the bulb from the right front side marker and see if the dash indicator goes out.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
PapaJ
Instructor

Default update - solution..

So after probing with a test light with no luck.. I went old school and got a 20' piece of 12/ga wire and put a clip on one side and cliped it to the motor... Then striped the other side 1/4" and started testing bulbs.. behold.. The PS front turn marker did have bad ground in the scoket.

Everything is now working 100% Thanks Guys!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:50 PM
PapaJ
Instructor

Old 11-22-2010, 06:01 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaJ
I went old school and got a 20' piece of 12/ga wire and put a clip on one side and cliped it to the motor... Then striped the other side 1/4" and started testing bulbs.. behold.. The PS front turn marker did have bad ground in the scoket.
Good thinking , old school works !
Old 11-23-2010, 06:17 AM
mj9311
Racer

I had a similar problem on my 76 and it ended up being the voltage regulator. Quick easy fix by swapping the alternator

Get notified of new replies

To Weak turn signal.. headlights involed somehow

Quick Reply: Weak turn signal.. headlights involed somehow