C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solution to the tired Crossfire system

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Scuba Nut
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution to the tired Crossfire system

After soul searching over what to do with my very underpowered 82, change is coming. Within the next month it'll have headers, a performance camshaft, and tuned-port injection. This is being done by Fuel Injection Specialties in San Antonio TX. When it's done, it will have something it never had before...CAJONES!!! They'll be doing a Dyno test on it upon completion. I'll report back with the horsepower at the rear wheels numbers.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Without new [better breathing] heads, it will make more power...but not a BIG jump in horsepower. It will certainly get much better mileage and run smoother, idle smoother, and start easier. Sounds like a nice setup.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:13 PM
ZoraC3
Instructor

Have them dyno it before the improvements, so you can see the difference on paper. Sometimes it is hard to remember the feel before, so you can't tell the before and after difference.

Enjoy the improvements.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Cylinder heads are where HP is made. Those 82 heads are going to severly restrict breathing of your motor. What you are doing will help a little but don't expect huge gains.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:27 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

i dont see that much gain from what you are having done .get it dynoed ,so that you can see exactly what gains you have made .i dont think you can gain over 30 hp.the new intake for the cross-fire will get you 20 hp .any new cam should be a improvment.replace the heads and cam .get the new intake, replace your cat .you will get more for your money .if you want a new fuel injection,the f.a.s.t unit would be better than the cross-fire or tpi.this is all my opinon. its your car do what you are happy with.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by terry82
i dont see that much gain from what you are having done .get it dynoed ,so that you can see exactly what gains you have made .i dont think you can gain over 30 hp.the new intake for the cross-fire will get you 20 hp .any new cam should be a improvment.replace the heads and cam .get the new intake, replace your cat .you will get more for your money .if you want a new fuel injection,the f.a.s.t unit would be better than the cross-fire or tpi.this is all my opinon. its your car do what you are happy with.
That FAST unit is nice but Im still waiting on them to make it more compact without wires running all over the place. If they can make a unit like the powerjection III with everything internal then i am in.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

it is nice to have choices .
Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Scuba Nut
After soul searching over what to do with my very underpowered 82, change is coming. Within the next month it'll have headers, a performance camshaft, and tuned-port injection. This is being done by Fuel Injection Specialties in San Antonio TX. When it's done, it will have something it never had before...CAJONES!!! They'll be doing a Dyno test on it upon completion. I'll report back with the horsepower at the rear wheels numbers.
I agree with the suggestions. You will need to let us know if your "all stock" or you have already done some of the suggestions.

- exhaust breathing (headers, catless or high-flo cats, mufflers)
- heads (swap in some better ones)
- cam (match the heads, rear gears and the desired intake system)
- then the upgrades will do something....with the above done, the intake of fuel is the issue, so TPI is good bottom end, but nowadays there are improvements to those systems. If you already have the C4 TPI, that's ok. Replace the runners with High-Flo. The intake can be swapped for a better one. The Throttle body can be upgraded to better as well as the injectors. If they are getting you the TPI, your paying good money for a system that is kind of aged.

If you want more power, there are better ways than TPI. If you just want reliability, a great looking intake system, the TPI will be fine and look cool, but not too much more power, as it's not the main reason your "seat of the pants feel" isn't that good.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're looking for decent power on a budget, maybe consider an LT-1 from a later model C-4, as believe these will drop right in. Had one in a mid 90's Z-28 Camaro and was a real mover. Don't think 350 hp's to far off with a little tweeking and header's.

Get notified of new replies

To Solution to the tired Crossfire system

Quick Reply: Solution to the tired Crossfire system