C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 AM
justatoy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio noise

Car has a amp on stock radio and you get a wine noise from motor threw speakers anyone know how to stop.. is there a filter i can install or is hooked up wrong ..got it with the car.. trying to fix all little problems other owner did not take car of... thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have the shielding in place around the coil, distributor and the spark plugs? They're there for radio noise suppression. Is the noise strictly on AM or FM as well? AM is far less noise resistant than FM, though if properly shielded you should't have problems with it.

If you do and still have noise, you need to identify the source of the noise. Does the whine go up and down with engine rpm? If so, it's alternator whine. If it's steady, it's probably ignition.

There are filters you can buy to go on the alternator or in line of the radio power lead. Sometimes even relocating the radio power lead to a different 12v source can eliminate or reduce the problem.

The car could have non-suppression spark plug wires on it, though that's less likely.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Many aftermarket radios are prone to noise from the electrical system. Some are better than others. I would recommend putting a noise filter on the junction block that the alternator lead goes to. It's located under the driver side front fender. You can get the filters from a number of vendors.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Radio cars have several noise suppression capacitors under the hood for filter ignition noise. These are shown in the assembly instruction manual (AIM)

The most common culprit is the alternator.

Per Roughrider: I get no ignition static with FM. I get a bit with AM.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 11-04-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

You can 'test' where your noise is coming from rather easily. The most likely candidates are ignition system and alternator. If you remove the belt for the alternator, that will eliminate it as the source. Listen to your radio while lightly revving the engine [in your driveway] to get a 'feel' for the noise in the radio. Then remove the alt belt and try it again. If the noise is still there and it varies with engine rpm, the noise is mostly from the ignition system. If it improves (or is totally eliminated) by removing the alt belt, add the radio noise "filter capacitor" to the alternator as suggested above to get some improvement. Also, try running through the blower fan speeds to see if that motor is causing problems as well. Cars from the factory had filter capacitors on motors/alternator and on accessory device switches (ie, brake light switch, etc) to eliminate 'pops' and 'whine' in the radio. Radio Shack has [or can get] appropriately sized noise filter capacitors at reasonable prices; if you buy restoration parts, they are very expensive.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Many cars are missing the RFI shield that was under the distributor cap to shield the points. I'm not sure just what years used them; they started in late model year 70 when the distributor shield changed from the 'box' type... my 71 has one.
You can see if it's there by lifting the little metal door on the cap.
Maybe?
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

i had the same problem .i put a ground wire [battery cable] from my alternator case to the frame .you need more ground wires.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:53 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Speaking of radio interference, my radio has been acting up for a while. Sometimes it seems like I lose signal from the stations. this really only happens when my car is in motion. I even installed the antenna, so I think it might have to do with the sheilding. sometimes, it goes out and I cant hear anything, but then a few seconds later (like when I come to a hill) the sound is back again. what do you guys think it is?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Speaking of radio interference, my radio has been acting up for a while. Sometimes it seems like I lose signal from the stations. this really only happens when my car is in motion. I even installed the antenna, so I think it might have to do with the sheilding. sometimes, it goes out and I cant hear anything, but then a few seconds later (like when I come to a hill) the sound is back again. what do you guys think it is?
I'm assuming your car still has the original radio. If so, your tuner section could be getting weak with age, or simply dirty and needs cleaning out. You might try "trimming the antenna". Remove the right side **** and escutcheon and you'll see a small screw by the tuner stem. Set your AM radio to a strong station near 1400 and turn the screw back and forth until you get the strongest reception. Replace the escutcheon and **** and see how your radio maintains a station. It may be the whole problem.

Trimming an antenna is kind of a lost procedure since we went away from that style radio and to digital.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:30 PM
justatoy
Pro

whine goes slower and faster when you give it gas.. it has a filter already by the alternator it comes threw the speakers when i take the speakers out of the mix no noise going nuts with the noise..
Old 11-05-2010, 06:57 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

It may have a filter capacitor on the alternator...but if it is the original unit, it has failed L-O-N-G ago. Replace it once you prove that is the source (remove belt to test).
Old 11-05-2010, 10:19 PM
glo
Instructor

I had same problem with the whine noise.I called three different stereo installers they all said it was a ground problem .They also stated that the filters don't work waste of money. Also check your setting on amp too much gain will give you whine noise. My problem was amp setting.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:48 AM
justatoy
Pro

I did the ground thing didnt work...how do you adj the amp settings thanks Bobby
Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 AM
glo
Instructor

Yea, I did the grounds also but like i said it was the gain .My amp has controls where I can make adjustments. Make sure radio itself is grounded . When I call the radio installer shops about filters thats when they told me about filters and what to check and they did not try to sell me anything.( that was a first ,lol ).
Old 11-08-2010, 05:56 AM
justatoy
Pro

Default update

guys it was the radio...that caused the whine..something went wrong inside the radio...thanks for all your input....

Get notified of new replies

To radio noise

Quick Reply: radio noise