C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange handling issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:27 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default Strange handling issue

My '80 (gymkhana, factory wheels and 255\60R-15 T/A's) has a bad steering/handling problem. During normal legal driving, left hand curves tend to feel like the rear end is coming around a little during entry. If I correct a little to the right the car tracks like it should but it still feels loose. It's almost like driving on slick tires or ice. Right hand curves fell much better. General low speed around town driving is OK, just 45 and up is a little hairy at times. My power steering cylinder failed so I have no P/S at the moment, but it drives well as it is.

The bushings look OK, tires are new, everything underneath looks OK. Not sure where to go from here.

Suggestions?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:58 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

I had a similar problem on my 79. One of the side shaft yokes was missing the retainer clip holding the yoke in the differential. Wih the clip missing my side yoke slid in and out on curves causing the car to handle squirrely. I don't know if your 1980 has a similar set on the side yokes.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Well, it could be a lot of things:

How many miles on the suspension? What has been changed both front and rear-ball joints, idler, control arms bushings? Has the steering box ever been rebuilt/adjusted and how about the rag joint-in the front suspension.

In the rear, side yokes, trailing arm bushings, rear wheel bearings? Strut rod bushings?

Many things can contribute to what you are describing. Any more history would help.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:37 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Also check that your strut rod adjustment (under the diff) hasn't come loose. A first clue would be that the two sides don't look to be set identically. I've had that happen.

As above any number of loose/worn rear end bits could cause this, even if they at first glance look okay.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

The car has just over 102k miles. I was told that the previous owner has done a significant amount of work to the suspension. I'm going to get it inspected by a real pro. Thanks for the suggestions. Great bunch of guys here.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was feeling the exact same sensation, turned out the strut rod bushings on the driver's side had blown out
Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Jack the car up with the rear wheel off of the floor. Pull on the top and the bottom of the tire and look to see where the suspension is moving. Could be at a worn bushing. Also watch the side yoke. It should not move in and out of the differential.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the rear of your car in the air have someone grap your rear tires in the 6 and 12 o'clock position and try to move them in and out. You look at where the yoke fits in the differential and see if one of them is coming out. If so, the problem is a retainer clip. Also look for any other movement where there are bushings check your u-joints while you are at it.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange handling issue

Quick Reply: Strange handling issue