C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on sound system wiring - non traditional!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:13 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Need advice on sound system wiring - non traditional!

I plan to upgrade my sound system but not replace the original 8-Track head unit.

So my thoughts were that I would replace the 4x6 kick panel speakers and add 6x9's in the rear.

I would add a new four channel amp and would route the 4x6 and 6x9 speakers to this amp.

I'll then plan to attach an XM Radio and an iPod connection to the amp for the music source.

So my question is without touching the original head unit wiring, how can I wire all this up directly to the battery? I know how to wire the amp to the battery, but how about the XM Radio unit? (the ipod is simple). Since I'm not using a switched source, I assume I'll need to install an inline toggle so that I can turn the whole system on and off.

Any ideas on how to make this simple?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM
vettme
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FriscoSteve
I plan to upgrade my sound system but not replace the original 8-Track head unit.

So my thoughts were that I would replace the 4x6 kick panel speakers and add 6x9's in the rear.

I would add a new four channel amp and would route the 4x6 and 6x9 speakers to this amp.

I'll then plan to attach an XM Radio and an iPod connection to the amp for the music source.

So my question is without touching the original head unit wiring, how can I wire all this up directly to the battery? I know how to wire the amp to the battery, but how about the XM Radio unit? (the ipod is simple). Since I'm not using a switched source, I assume I'll need to install an inline toggle so that I can turn the whole system on and off.

Any ideas on how to make this simple?
I've used one of the spare blade connector's in the fuse panel so it will be hot with key on, they give you a few. Good luck
Old 11-01-2010, 02:36 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Thanks, that's an option. But I think I'd rather have all the wiring in the storage area and utilize a toggle versus tapping into the fuse box. Just not sure how best to manage the wiring of the XM Radio power needs in conjunction with the wiring of the amp.

Last edited by beachcomber; 11-01-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:15 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be in the same boat here in the next month or two.

I didn't want to disturb the look of the stock radio but will be putting fronts and 8in subs, all tied to my zune that'll pop up near the seat area.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:30 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you build a box and put everything in the back. Run two sets of wires through the console up to the front speakers. once you have the Ipod plugged in there will be plenty of cable to mount that up in the front somewhere. Doesn't XM have a remote control too?

Jim
Old 11-02-2010, 09:05 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdp6000
Why don't you build a box and put everything in the back. Run two sets of wires through the console up to the front speakers. once you have the Ipod plugged in there will be plenty of cable to mount that up in the front somewhere. Doesn't XM have a remote control too?

Jim
You're right. That's exactly what I want to do is mount it all in the back. The question I have is regarding getting power to it all from the battery versus the fuse box. I'll need to continue my research on how to wire the amp and the xm radio directly to the battery.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:20 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Buy a battery with top posts in addition to the side mounts. Then connect your amp to the top posts with an in-line fuse. Worked well for me.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 PM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

If the amp is on the back, just get an inline fuse holder and run it straight off the battery. You can bring your ACC wire and speaker wires up through the center console.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thegazman
Buy a battery with top posts in addition to the side mounts. Then connect your amp to the top posts with an in-line fuse. Worked well for me.
I bought a piece at Kmart many years ago for my truck that replaced the positive bolt on a side-post battery with a brass stud basically. It has a 3/8 stud sticking out that I wired an amp to at the time, actually now I have the big wire from my CS144 alternator to it so I did not change the original wiring. You can ground the same way or to the frame.

As far as amp turn-on, I would at least run a wire from the fuse box ignition switched so you don't have to flip a switch to turn the amp on-or forget to turn it off.

Last edited by markdtn; 11-03-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:48 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

All you have to do is run a line into the battery box. Attach it to the positive power lug and put a fuse or circuit breaker between battery and sound system {leave the breaker in the battery box if you want}. Also run a ground line to the negative battery terminal or to the battery ground connection on the frame..just below the battery box.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Run the power from the battery through a fuse then to a Bosch relay.

To trigger the system you can use a toggle or a wire from the fuse box switched ignition- or you can do a combo-whereas you have a toggle switch that only works when the ignition is on...

Old 11-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve u going to the CnC this Sat Morning in Plano? I see your in Frisco?

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on sound system wiring - non traditional!

Quick Reply: Need advice on sound system wiring - non traditional!