C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Rear Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 PM
maggie82
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Rear Pinion

I've been trying to stop a rear pinion seal leak on my 1971 Vette. I put one seal in today, still leaked and I'm in the process of replacing that seal one more time. I've done a few of the seals before, seems to be pretty straight forward. What am I missing or at there any tricks to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

It could be leaking from the splines of the yoke. Some guys put a little sealer on the splines while putting the yoke on to stop the leak. Also look at the yoke while it is off. Is the area where the seal rides in good shape or is it rough or a deep groove.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Measure the depth area in the case where the pinion seal sits. Then measure the pinion seal. If the seal measurement is greater than the case don't dirve the seal all the way. If you do the seal will distort causing it to leak
Old 12-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Akie
Heel & Toe

Default pinion seal removal

I am alos trying to replace pinion seal on my '82. Does the seal come off from the outside the differential case or inside? Once I removed the yolk I thought the seal would just come off it did not, Should I pry it off? Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Yes you need to remove it from the case. It takes some prying to get it out.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:41 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Look at the yoke where the seal rides. If there's a groove, you'll need a speedi-sleeve, or have the yoke sleeved.
Pack the cavity in the back of the seal with grease- there's a little spring around the OD of the seal. If it pops off when you drive the new seal in, there's nothing to hold the lip around the yoke.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:51 PM
muleman
Heel & Toe

Default This one got me!

Originally Posted by Gordonm
It could be leaking from the splines of the yoke. Some guys put a little sealer on the splines while putting the yoke on to stop the leak. Also look at the yoke while it is off. Is the area where the seal rides in good shape or is it rough or a deep groove.
Permatex fix my leaky splines!!! Check the drips path very closely with a flashlight as it is hard to pinpoint. I the drip originates around the pinion nut ---then you gotta easy fix. Coat the splines and off you go.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The yoke could have a worn spot (ring) in it or could there be to much fluid in the rear... just throwing things out.

If you really want to make sure of where the leak is coming from you can put dye in the oil and black light it.

We had a rear end cover one time that was defective. It had a porous hole in the casting and this hole ran right in to one of the cover bolt holes. We pulled the cover, re-sealed it, pulled it again and re-sealed it... It still leaked. Finally we went to the dye and used the black light to find the exact source of our leak.

I have detailed instructions on how to replace the front pinion seal on the web site. They are for 63-79, but there is no difference in the method for 1980-1982. A little different in getting to the pinion nut, but it should be enough info to get you through. http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=205

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Leaky Rear Pinion

Quick Reply: Leaky Rear Pinion