C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Guildstrand 5 link

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Installing a Guildstrand 5 link

I took on the job of installing a Guildstrand 5 link into a forum members car. I also have put in a Tremec 5 speed in the car while it is here. This is quite a system and I had never seen one before in person. It is not for the faint of heart to install as it takes some frame mods and cutting of the frame pockets where the trailing arms used to be. This car came to me pretty rusty and full of mud. Just surface rust but a lot of mud. When Iremoved the transmission there was mud on the TO bearing and input shaft. There was a ton of small rocks everywhere. The 5 speed went very smoothly and took a few hours to get it all dialed in and installed. ialso made the cross member removeable. I then took everything out of the rear end of the car. Cleaned up what was going to be used again and started the frame work. here are a few pictures. This is just mocked up as to see where more of theframe needs to be removed and how everything was going to fit. This system came off one of his other cars so it is not a new system and some of it came bolted together already. While sawing theframe apart today you should have seen the amount ofdirt that came out. Probably lightened thecar by 20 pounds.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:49 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow Id love to see some more pictures of this car. Big brakes, CF halfshafts, and now a guldstrand 5 link? My kind of car

Is that bearing carrier part of the guldstrand kit?
Old 10-23-2010, 07:51 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Looks like your moving right along

Does the front section of the Gulstrand system get located with the original TA holes and than welded to the frame?

Neal
Old 10-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by vette427-sbc
Wow Id love to see some more pictures of this car. Big brakes, CF halfshafts, and now a guldstrand 5 link? My kind of car

Is that bearing carrier part of the guldstrand kit?
Yes it is. I can take more pictures tomorrow. This kit came off his race car so it has been used a little. The car is definitly not an NCRS car. It is a 77 widebody conversion.

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
Looks like your moving right along

Does the front section of the Gulstrand system get located with the original TA holes and than welded to the frame?

Neal
Yes it does and there lies the problem. The brackets are not quite lining up with the holes. The welded brackets are no problem because they are going to be welded wherever they need to be located. Just a little clearance problem. Nothing that can't be overcome.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

At the shop we were never able to do them with the body on. I wanted to do the adjustable offset swing arm front pivot point bolt assembly and I would have had to cut my cage out and then lift the rear body off my frame.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:06 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Nice Gordon!
Wow Id love to see some more pictures of this car. Big brakes, CF halfshafts, and now a guldstrand 5 link? My kind of car :YESNOD:
Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Old 10-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

I did some more work today on this. I mocked everything up and got the front brackets to fit. This was not easy. I had to slightly grind the brackets and push in the back of the frame pocket to make it fit. It all fits nicely now. I still have to weld on the tabs for the lower part of the bracket but even with the big carbon fiber halfshafts it all looks good. You can see where I had to clearance the frame for the upper link. It looks ugly and i will clean it up but not a whole lot was removed. Again this is not for the faint of heart because you are hacking away at the frame. As some of you know I work for Lenox Tools and Icut the frame up with some modified blades. iwent throug ha bunch but broke most of them from slamming the frame and bending the crap out of the blades. The frame cuts like butter, somethimes almost to fast so you have to be careful to not cut to much.

Left side

Right side

Rear without the spring in.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Gordon are you using any of the original trailing arm near or at the wheel assembly? Curious how the 5 link is attaching to the bearing assembly
Old 10-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

No. The original trailing arm is not used at all. The Guildstrand uses his own bearing carrier. It is a cast piece and has all the mounting points for the rod ends on it. I should take a picture from the inside to show what the carrier looks like.

Here you go.

Last edited by Gordonm; 10-24-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:54 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
No. The original trailing arm is not used at all. The Guildstrand uses his own bearing carrier. It is a cast piece and has all the mounting points for the rod ends on it. I should take a picture from the inside to show what the carrier looks like.

Here you go.

on the original RPF 5-link and even the early ones Guldstrand sold they used a factory trailing arm....the cast "upright" is a newer version.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:25 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Cool, thanks for the pic G
Old 10-24-2010, 09:24 PM
MrForce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

How would you (or your customer) compare this setup to the Greenwood suspension or a C4 swap?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 10-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by MrForce
How would you (or your customer) compare this setup to the Greenwood suspension or a C4 swap?

Thanks,

Rob
They would be very close in comparison. I would say for the average driver you would probably not be able to tell the difference.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what kind of engine this guy has to really utilize this setup with the carbon half shafts? Very nice work.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kaos
So what kind of engine this guy has to really utilize this setup with the carbon half shafts? Very nice work.
Nothing much right now but his future plans call for more power. Just how much is up in the air right now.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
on the original RPF 5-link and even the early ones Guldstrand sold they used a factory trailing arm....the cast "upright" is a newer version.
"Upright" on a corvette forum

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a Guildstrand 5 link

Old 10-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MrForce

Thanks,

Rob
I have some Greenwood parts, you do NOT have to cut the trailing arm pocket out like this set-up. Front bracket locates off the trailing arm bolt and 2 small angle reinforcments are welded to the underside of the frame below trailing arm opening. I'll post some photos when I get around to mounting it into my 72 LT-1.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is the assembly drawing for a Greenwood style 5 link. You can see the front bracket locates into the trailing arm pocket.

Anyone who has looked over a GM AIM manual will realize the drarwing is done on the same format, either some guy from GM "moonlighted" for Greenwood or GM spent some time and $$$ comming up with this set-up.

Good thing about it is it is reversible if you want to take it off one day.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

this is the first page of the install instructions for the original 5-link designed by noted race car designer Bob Riley, designed to be legal for use in SCCA competition. I believe Riley also designed the C-4 rear suspension for GM and Greenwoods stuff... I had one in a 78-82 SCCA car which is why I have the booklet....(the 5-link is long gone). I also had a Greenwood 5-link new in the box, the major difference is the Riley/Guldstrand had two lower links the Greenwood had one on top and one on the bottom.

Last edited by redvetracr; 10-25-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Installing a Guildstrand 5 link