C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety at the strip, or just fun?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 PM
73BLWN
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Safety at the strip, or just fun?

I don't have 1/2 shaft safety loops.

I don't have a drive shaft safety loop.

I don't have a battery disconnect.

Does the battery box location require me to line it with steel, or does it just have to have the hold down since it's in the stock location?

Roll bar? Roll Cage? Recent runs with my VC2000 show 11.8 1/4 mile at 124.8 mph. 1/8th at 7.84 and 100.2 mph. 60 foot at 2.23 seconds. I'm giving it a 100 shot of NOS on top of the base 620hp tune now. I'll make a pass with the 686hp tune, and the 100 shot if I can get away with it.

What am I forgetting? I have a trailer I can rent to use on the 23rd of Octobor. I'd like to go test and tune from 9:30 - 3:00 pm. That should give me enough time to break something.

I'm guessing one should bring a good arsonal of tools, floor jacks, and jack stands.

I don't want to tow it all the way out to the track and not be allowed to make a pass or two before i get kicked off. Do they care if you are only running for fun, and not point?

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:53 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

At the track I go to they don't even open the hood, I told the tech guy it was a stock '80 L48 and spun the tires to 3/4 track and still ran 121mph. Didn't get in sh*t for that but they told me I needed a helmet, reached back and I forgot it so home I went.

Every track is different, they might scrutinize you because of the scoop sticking out of the hood but I wouldn't worry about it most tracks will let you run to 11.50 no problems the way it is now. Don't forget your helmet and it's always best to go at night when they can't see so good
Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I went to Muscle Car Weekend at Rock Falls, WI a couple weekends ago. They were pretty relaxed about the tech inspection for my '80 because I was running a mild GM crate engine (350 HO) with street tires, stock battery location with a good tie-down. They recognized the brand and model of my helmet, so they didn't even check the certification sticker.

Your car, on the other hand, would have drawn a closer look. They have a max speed before you need a roll cage. I don't remember what that max is because my 103 mph wasn't even close.

Check the rules of the track you're going to. BTW, where are you going? The temps should be a bit warmer than the 40 deg when I made my first run. That was comical.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM
73BLWN
Racer

Motorhead: Thanks, I forgot to mention a helmet. I don't have one of those either. I did look around on line. I may just try to borrow one since it'll be the only time I need one in the near future.

I agree, my in your face look may have them furrowing their brow at me.

MN80Vette: I almost went to watch the Muscle Car Weekend at the Rock. I haven't been out there in years. That is where I plan to go on the 23rd if I can get everything in order.

The battery disconnect really has me concerned. It really sounded like that was mandatory along with a helmet.

My real plan is to correlate track times to my VC2000. I've had others verify the VC2000 accuracy an repeatability, but I don't have paper to prove it. If it proves to be accurate with my car, I'll be just fine running it on the street in a secluded road or doing 1/4 mile freeway passes late at night. My goal is to be a 10 second club member.

I guess it's best to call the track and ask a few questions. Next week I'l verify that I can get the car on the car trailer at the rental center.

A drag strip racer friend at work mentioned shoulder harness's. I don't have mine installed. I'm betting that would be a good idea. Being as they are the factory belts that clips on to the lap belt, I see them as optional equipment. Any thoughts on shoulder harness's?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

From my experience, you don't need a battery disconnect if you don't need a roll bar/cage. You don't need a roll bar if you don't go quicker than 11.50.
I go to 2 different tracks. They don't open hoods normally but they do ask about power adders. Your supercharger is obvious and that might bring about more scrutiny.
So you might be able to run as is above 11.49. They do expect you to have your seatbelt with shoulder harness in place.
One more thing - about being in the 10 second club. I think the few guys who are in that club would expect you to back it up with a timeslip. Just my opinion.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
ARCH
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You should cunsult your track before going so as to not waste a trip.

At my local track power adders (super/turbo chargers & Nitrous) would require a fire jacket.

Helmet obviously, but again check with the track you cannot just wear any old helmet.

No roll bar needed until you get below 11.50. At 11.50 and below the rules really start to add up.

I have a lap belt which will be good for my track to 11.50

It does'nt make a difference to the track if you are running for points or fun. Whatever their safety rules are would/should apply to anyone running down their track.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

You should be able to get away with at least one run before they really tech you hard. If they follow NHRA rules: helmets at 13.99 or faster, cage at 11.49 or faster, nitrous will need a blow down outside of the car if mounted inside. Those would be the 3 I worry about most. Like I said though most tracks give you one run and when you cross the barrier will tell you something. I always tend to have my helmet with me, but I have run in the 12s no helmet before and never been told anything. It all depends on the track people and how strict they want to be.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:22 PM
10caipirinhas
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ajrothm has a funny anecdote about him running 10.9 on his first time out in Houston with his BB Vette coupe that looks stock.

IIRC something about "being screamed at by the tech folks afterwards and told to go home, or just run the 1/8"..........

Personally, for my own safety on the street in an 11 second car, as well as to reduce the repair cost in case of breakage, I'd have drive shaft hoops, half shaft loops and a battery cut off at a minimum. Cheap safety goodies.........you only live once........a half shaft will tear up a lot of $$$ in repairs on the bottom if it lets go.......have your driveshaft fly off the transmission at the tailshaft, and the car digs in and flip over, that tiny little bit of metal in the birdcage isn't going to save your coconut.

Last edited by 10caipirinhas; 10-06-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:22 PM
73BLWN
Racer

BKbroiler: I should clarify, in regards to the 10 second club. I would use my VC2000 to ensure I should be able to do it, go to the track, make controlled legal passes, and then let it rip so I had the proof. I too would prefer to have the slip on my wall as solid proof. I completely agree, good point. No offense taken or implied.

I should get to work on reinstalling my shoulder harness's. I know my passengers and friends would appreciate them being installed. They naturally grab for them and look a bit nervous when they realize they don't exist.

ARCH: Eek! Firesuit? That one never crossed my mind. That's why I'm asking. I better look into that. Thanks.

Lap belt only. Hmm...well I'll only add them if they say I have to. I'd prefer to work on the must haves to prepare for the strip day.

I did see where Rock Falls is specific about the helmet requirements.

"It doesn't make a difference to the track if you are running for points or fun. Whatever their safety rules are would/should apply to anyone running down their track. " This is what made me post. I'm looking for input and personal experience's.

I have the power potential for some decent times. My current drivetrain will determine this years success or failure. I just wanted to see an honest 11.7-11.9 et this year on a timeslip faster if it holds together. I will most likely royally botch the lights as I have no experience with the tree. I'll post all the good and all the bad. With everyone's help, patience, and encouragement, I might eventually make my goal.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default One More Thing...

To think about. With your power, you probably won't be spinning all that fast but a scattershield might be worth a thought anyway.

I like safety, thus I've done all the safety bits first, this winter we build the motor.

Bud.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:57 PM
wiseman79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may depend on the venue of the track. At my local track, they have Street night where they are much more lenient and understand people are showing up with their daily drivers and only really are sticklers about helmets until you get below 11.50 as others have said. If you go on a Saturday where you are thrown in with the guys running points, they may have their grumpy tech guy their scrutinizing everything since there are some serious cars at the track that day. You can always do several shake down runs getting used to everything, then when you're confident you can pull it off go all out, post a 10.xx and high tale it to the gate.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:50 PM
73BLWN
Racer

Sigforty: I remember you commenting on the blow down tube. I defineately wanted to add the spray if it all holds together. Good contribution.

10caipirinhas: I tried to install a safety loop earlier this summer, but couldn't get it to fit. I returned it. I agree it's important. I'll see what I can do, although as I recall there is something that made me think it wasn't so critical on the Vette. I'll have to investigate my options.

Bud2: You are correct, I am keeping the revs at 6000-6500rpms. It spins fine to 7200rpms, but doesn't really make any usable power with the current headers. A scattershield and flywheel are in the plans. If the clutch fries testing on the street or chassis dyno, I'll upgrade prior to the track day.

Wiseman79: It will be a test and tune session, I won't be racing anyone, so hopefully, they'll just let me play a bit. I'd love to add the race fuel, 686 tune, and 100 shot of spray and see what happens.

I'm out of town this weekend. I talked to the chassis dyno shop Hitech Motorsports, and am trying to take a half day off next week to do some pulls and tuning. What happens on the chassis dyno will make or break my plans for the 23rd.

I'll reread all of the comments, and make a list. I appreciate the input from everyone. If I didn't comment on your comment please don't take it personal. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might scan through the Drag Racing forum on this site for many of the smaller points of drag racing. Staging courtesy is a big deal with many who will be testing off of a trans brake or turbo and you don't want to burn them down and you don't want to force an early launch. Don't forget that some safety items are just as much for the guy next to you as they are for you. I look forward to hearing your experience when you launch from a prepped surface. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 AM
73BLWN
Racer

Vogie: Good point, I don't want to mess up someone elses fun or safety. It's easy to get wrapped up in the moment. It may be best to just run the 620 hp tune, get used to how every thing works, and give it a 100 shot of spray, or just flip the pulleys to 686 hp. I may not get a blow down tube set for the NOS in time. I defineately don't want to hurt someone, or damage someone else's car because I'm being immature and irresponsible. I'll take your advice under advicement.

I'll take a look at the drag race forum. Good idea.

Best Regards.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by 73BLWN
Vogie: Good point, I don't want to mess up someone elses fun or safety. It's easy to get wrapped up in the moment. It may be best to just run the 620 hp tune, get used to how every thing works, and give it a 100 shot of spray, or just flip the pulleys to 686 hp. I may not get a blow down tube set for the NOS in time. I defineately don't want to hurt someone, or damage someone else's car because I'm being immature and irresponsible. I'll take your advice under advicement.

I'll take a look at the drag race forum. Good idea.

Best Regards.

Shake down without the nitrous is always a good deal. When I head to the track in the Z06 I always make a few passes to see how the track is feeling before I ever open the bottle. Sometimes it hooks good all the way down and other times it gets squirrelly on the top end. I like to take a few so so runs to feel it out and suggest that first.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,896 Likes on 924 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Hey...I've been thrown out of all the best tracks at least once I think! They don't like 9 sec convertibles with no rollcages! And they get real nasty when you go past 135 mph. Much less 140+ mph. They start wanting fire suits, shoes, window nets etc etc.

In most cases I've found that the addition of slicks or drag radials or open headers brings closer scrutiny. They start wanting to see driveshaft loops, scattershields etc. Now I'm not suggesting anything...but I've been known to tech on street tires and return to the pits and install slicks.

I doubt the battery shutoff will be an issue....I've never been asked about one and there's not one on my car.

They will get picky about a rollbar once you bust 11.49. They may ask you to run only 1/8th mile passes and shut it down. But that won't happen until you show it can do it. I'd suggest some 1/8th mile runs to work out traction etc and then if it's looking good after a few passes..let it hang out. I'd leave the juice off for the first trip. I'd probably run low boost for a couple of runs and then swap pulleys in the pits and make another 1/8th mile before making a full 1/4 pass.

They will go along with the lap belts especially if it looks like that's all there was from the factory.

You definitely need a helmet if you pull to the line regardless of the rules. I've seen near stock cars have bad things happen.

If they ask you during Tech what's it run....say you don't have a clue..that's why you're there. Never discuss how much power it has....It's just a stock motor with a blower on it for show.

Good luck...and take it easy...and have fun. The track is often different than the street...so sneak up on it!

JIM
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

My experience was exactly the same as he ^^^ said.

I just used my stock lap belts, no battery disconnect, no roll cage etc etc. All I had for safety was my helmet, long jeans on and I did have half shaft loops on it, not really to appease tech but more for if I popped an axle. I even ran it on my 40yr old stock driveshaft(new 1350s though).

When I wen through tech, he asked me what I thought I would run, I told him I was hoping for 12s . Well my very first pass ever in it, was a soft launch, everything in the car(tools etc etc) and air cleaner still on the carb...was an 11.14@122. THAT instantly got me sent to the tower to talk to the track MGR. I promised to slow it down and I did...I ran 1/8 for the next 3 passes but I was jumping on the brakes hard and still going 11.60-11.70s... Once I cut it close and went an 11.55@92 and they sent me back to tech/tower... I just packed up and left...

I went back two weeks later, I started out running one 1/8 pass (7.03@100) ...then after a 2 hr wait, I ran one full 1/4 pass, it was a 10.99@123.88 and the ticket booth pulled me over, called the safety dept to look at my car at the booth and called the tower to suspend me for the night.

I will be going back on the 22nd this month to see if I can get some 1/8 passes in and sneak in a 1/4 mile or two... Sux but....this is the reality of no cage/belts/suit etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Safety at the strip, or just fun?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I've never understood the logic of trying to bypass safety regulations

Nearly every NHRA safety item came about because some poor bastard had his stock part fail. I won't even race a car without items like blow proof bell housings/ tranny sheilds/SFI rated rotating parts.

As in any race outside things out of your control can happen.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull

Nearly every NHRA safety item came about because some poor bastard had his stock part fail. I won't even race a car without items like blow proof bell housings/ tranny sheilds/SFI rated rotating parts.

I agree, and do not understand trying to cut corners on safety!! I have been a lic. NHRA driver from the early 80's and have seen mpre than there should be people hurt and equipment destroyied from cutting corners just to have people come back and sue the track for letting them run!!!!!!!!!!! Baylands raceway was closed from this kind of thing!! "Be safe or go home!!!"
Old 10-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by gkull

I would not say they are being bypassed. Just not followed due to the actual use of the car would be my interpetation. My Z06 for example is my daily driver. I will not be putting a cage in it for that reason even though it runs below the 11.49 and over 135 mph. Additionally, I only run at the track maybe once a year if I am lucky. Now had I built it entirely for the track with occassional street use I would have all the required safety equipment.

Quick Reply: Safety at the strip, or just fun?