C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences in Throwout bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:29 PM
kellyr073
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in Throwout bearings?

Anyone have experience with knowing the difference in quality between difference in manufacturer throwout bearings?

I just pulled mine (National) out after a year of mainly weekend driving, probably 2 to 3K miles, and there is a lot of slop in the t.o. bearing.

Sure, I do my fair share of hole-shots, and for the first 500 miles the pedal wasn't adjusted with enough free-play, but I resolved that. And no, I'm not a pedal rider.

Does that sound normal for an over the counter (National) t.o. bearing?

Would a Hayes, McLeod, or Centerforce perform any better? Is there a good, better, best rating on these?

Appreciate you feedback.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
bertmeister
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the throwout bearing that came with a GM clutch and pressure plate package purchased off ebay. Been in the car for 6 years and 25000 miles, no problems. Should be able to buy one from a chevy dealer.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I put in a timken bearing in my car afer I redid the clutch a few years ago. Hasn't failed yet. The bearing that came with the clutch had a plastic part where the fork rides. The Timken had metal there.

Get notified of new replies

To Differences in Throwout bearings?

Quick Reply: Differences in Throwout bearings?