C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interchangeable Rearends for Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:47 AM
majbillgsd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interchangeable Rearends for Corvette

I have a 1979 Corvette with a 4:56 rearend in it. It needs replacement. I'm considering replacing with a 3:08 or next size up (3:33 or 3:55). What would be an interchangable Chevrolet rear or GM rear. I'm thinking if I found an interchangable one it may save some money for me instead of ordering from Mid America or Ecklers for example.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bill
Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. But the IRS rear used in the Corvette from '63 - '79 is unique to the Corvette both externally and internally. No other model, GM or otherwise, can be a bolt-in swap or interchange. If you're in fact referring to just Corvette rears, then as far as a bolt-in, you'd be looking for another '63 - '79 rear. There were some minor differences even there with different axle yokes and pinion yokes.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:38 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry72
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. But the IRS rear used in the Corvette from '63 - '79 is unique to the Corvette both externally and internally. No other model, GM or otherwise, can be a bolt-in swap or interchange. If you're in fact referring to just Corvette rears, then as far as a bolt-in, you'd be looking for another '63 - '79 rear. There were some minor differences even there with different axle yokes and pinion yokes.
What he said
Old 09-15-2010, 05:16 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Agree with gerry72 also. I'd take into account your torque/power band, transmission and how you drive before choosing your FDR. That said, IMHO the 3.55:1 is hard to beat with many a comination if you don't spend most of your time on the highway.

Get notified of new replies

To Interchangeable Rearends for Corvette

Quick Reply: Interchangeable Rearends for Corvette