C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Corvette Timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Jon S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1981 Corvette Timing

I remember a thread discussing the merits of advancing the timing to 12 degrees with I believe the 4 terminal connector disconnected. I checked the Shop Manual and it states "Electronic spark timing is used on all engines, EST uses no direct mechanical control for spark timing. Engine parameters are monitored and these inputs are electronically processed to obtain optimum spark timing."

So, my question is this - does re-timing with the terminal disconnected and then re-connected really adjust the timing curve? My car has great torque at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, but at WOT seems to fall way off. I'm looking to get a little more juice out of it while keeping the car 100%stock.

So my question is what is the exact procedure for re-timing it and does the computer off-set these changes when the connector is re-attached, or is it a dumb system that you can fake out?

Jon
Old 09-15-2010, 10:24 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

The computer does not know what the timing actually is: It is pre-programmed with a map that adjusts the timing from the base setting, and it assumes the base setting is correct. By advancing the base timing to 12 degrees, you advance the entire ignition curve and give the engine a more aggressive timing advance throughout the operating range. It is a "poor-man's performance chip" for the OBD1 system, and actually works pretty good. Keep in mind that advancing the timing will also increase hydrocarbons, so it will affect emissions test results if you have to pass an emissions test.

Lars
Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Jon S
Instructor

Originally Posted by lars
The computer does not know what the timing actually is: It is pre-programmed with a map that adjusts the timing from the base setting, and it assumes the base setting is correct. By advancing the base timing to 12 degrees, you advance the entire ignition curve and give the engine a more aggressive timing advance throughout the operating range. It is a "poor-man's performance chip" for the OBD1 system, and actually works pretty good. Keep in mind that advancing the timing will also increase hydrocarbons, so it will affect emissions test results if you have to pass an emissions test.

Lars
Lars - Thanks for the prompt reply! Sounds good to me as the car is exempt from emissions testing, but had read 0000 in both categories when it was last tested. So I just pull off the 4 wire connector before starting it and then re-time it?

Jon
Old 09-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Jon S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jon S
Lars - Thanks for the prompt reply! Sounds good to me as the car is exempt from emissions testing, but had read 0000 in both categories when it was last tested. So I just pull off the 4 wire connector before starting it and then re-time it?

Jon
So I just pull off the 4 wire connector before starting it and then re-time it?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:05 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Exactly. Disconnect 4 wire connector, set timing to 12 - 14 degrees advanced then reconnect and your done. You may have to reset your idle as it may idle a bit higher with the advance. If you do adjust your idle then check your tps voltage as it may be off - 0.56 is what you want.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Corvette Timing

Quick Reply: 1981 Corvette Timing