C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New radiator,electric fan,alternator and R 134 conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 PM
jetmech
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default New radiator,electric fan,alternator and R 134 conversion.

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in the conversions I just did to my 79. I have spent quite sometime on different combinations and believe I have finally nailed it. If anyone is interested I can post the details and maybe some pictures if I can figure out how.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:30 PM
fwillison
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you convert a standard R12 AC system to R134?
If so, I'd be interested in what you did. I have a 68 with factory air (not currently installed). I have a A6 compressor, a condensor, and all the brackets. Thinking of how to go about reinstalling to have some cold air.
BTW, I'm in Tulsa, so we're practically neighbors...

Fred
Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 PM
jetmech
Racer

Fred good to hear from you. We moved from the Claremore area a little over 3 years ago. I was president of the Tulsa Vette Set for a couple of years back in the day. I converted but I changed the condesor to the new parallel flow model and also changed the compressor to a sanden compressor. I tried the conversion with all of the stock components and just could not make the cold air that I was looking for. At that point I changed back to R12 (which I had a convenient supply of at the time) but now have changed back to R134 but do not believe this would have worked without the new condensor,compressor and the electric fan from a lincoln mark VIII.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Tankertoad1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am definitly interested in doing the same thing. I have a 76 down here in Dallas where it has been over 100 for 20 strait days now. It's too hot to even go in the garage until after 10 at night, but it will be a good project for the fall/winter.
Where did you get the Lincoln fan, junkyard or retail site? What temp is coming out at the vents on full cold now? Thanks in advance....
Jeff
Old 08-18-2010, 04:26 PM
richardttu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 69 with factory air (which currently does not work). I would like to see how you made the conversion to the Sanden (are new brackets available etc).

I need to do some research on a parallel flow condenser, that's a new one on me. I have bought a Dewitts radiator and fan, but it has been too hot to work in the garage, or drive the damn car in this heat without AC.

So I would be interested. maybe this would be a good white paper that can be posted, instead of lots of board posts. Probably easier to put together too.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 PM
jetmech
Racer

For those of you that have pre-1977 models vintage air makes a complete system to install at a very reasonable price that should be checked into. For 1977 and later it is another story. To start I have changed over my pulley system to a 1991 caprice serpentine setup. This setup still used the R4 (pancake compressor) for the airconditioning. As I spoke befor I tried the r134 route with basically using all of the stock parts except I was using a two row aluminum radiator with dual spal fans. What I encountered was that there was not enough airflow across the old stock condensor with this setup. Thus head pressures were high and you could not charge the system fully. So after lots of research my conclusion is that an electric fan is not made to pull air through anything more than a single core radiator. If you look at all of the new cars they are all to the best of my knowledge single core radiators. I backed up and took a different approach. I bought a single core (1 1/4") radiator made for a third gen camaro circa 1985 to 1990 I believe. This radiator will fit with the stock brackets on the core support with no modifications other than the lower radiator hose. I bought a new sanden compressor and brackets that would allow me to mount the compressor in the 91 caprice serpentine bracket. I installed a 14X24 parallel flow condenser and mounted it by making some simple brackets that would place it just 3/4 of an inch in front of the radiator. Bought a hose kit, new accumulator and a variable orfice. Installed the lincoln Mark VIII fan charged the system which took a little less than 24 OZ. On a 100 degree day the air from the center vents was 56 degrees and the water temp never went over 200. Now on a side not I found that the CS130 alternator I was running did not like the Mark VIII fan. So I up graded to a CS144 140 amp alternator and everything is working good so far. I found the fan on Craigs list here locally. This fan pulls a ton of air but also a lot of amperage. Hope this helps. I went through a couple of radiators and different fan setups before I found this combination.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 AM
blumono1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting setup, using a camaro radiator. Can a single SPAL fan be used? Pics pls. tnx
Old 08-19-2010, 09:39 PM
jetmech
Racer

Depending on if you are running a/c or not makes a big difference. I ran dual spals before this and they were marginal with a/c even with the camaro radiator. I will work on posting some pics.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 PM
jetmech
Racer

after install

before install

dual spals on the camaro radiator
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=60275
new condensor install

the last couple of pictures are not wanting to post. You can see these in my album if you cannot see them here.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 PM
jetmech
Racer

after install

before install

dual spals on the camaro radiator
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=60275
new condensor install
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=60269
markviii on camaro radiator

the last couple of pictures are not wanting to post. You can see these in my album if you cannot see them here.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:44 AM
1mpalss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you share any wiring info concerning this swap? I'm curious how you integrated the compressor "on" circuit with the older vette plumbing - Low and/or High pressure switches and temp probe.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:39 AM
snoopykissedlucy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WHOA............Autozone has the 1990 Camaro aluminum core radiator for $93!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and it is the same dimensions.......except one core.

I'm all about budget so I may just try this and use the 1981 auxiliary fan..........you never know until you try it!

Get notified of new replies

To New radiator,electric fan,alternator and R 134 conversion.

Quick Reply: New radiator,electric fan,alternator and R 134 conversion.