C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to my engine???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 PM
elke_10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not saying your a idiot or anything and sure i am gonna get bashed for even saying this but oh well! it's something to check

so just throwing this out there.

loss of power, white smoke, and car lagging in power, and not wanting to start, motor dieseling.

this is all after a short stop at BP.

now here it is are you sure you put 93 in and not maybe mistakenly put diesel fuel in your car?

all your symptoms sound like you may have. a car will run with diesel mixed in its gas till the diesel over comes the gas ratio. then you get all those symptoms. as more diesel gets pushed into the fuel lines.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a compression check on your engine, along with a vacume check. Post the results including the actions of the needle during the vacume check.
I'd pump a little fuel through the fuel line (after you drive a couple blocks) into a glass jar. Look and see if there maybe a little water in with the fuel. The gas from the BP may have had some in their tanks. Causing the white smoke.
I never get fuel at a station when their delivery truck is there. Stirs stuff up. Not knocking BP, but the one near me has done that to me before in my lawn mower.
As for the running warm, Idle the car open the radiator and smell. See if there may be some exhaust odor in there.
A Thought
Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 AM
69vettester
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the carb. disasemble and clean it. Reinstall and tune the engine according to the rules. Change the fuel filter , change the plugs and wires. If that doesnt fix it, youve got more serious problems, like heads , valves ect. Good luck
Old 08-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
I would say that dieseling and stopping it suddenly/mechanically with the clutch put a lot of strain on the timing chain and gear. It may have jumped a tooth or two, particularly if there was some stretch already present in the chain. Using a timing gun is inexpensive and will say aye or nay to this possible problem.
My first thoughts too. I have to do this with my 70 LT-1 when it gets a load of bad fuel but, it has a Cloyes True Roller timing set in it.

Factory GM timing gears are nylon coated and fail with age. If the LS-5 is original, it is not uncommon for sectons of nylon to crack off of aluminum sprocket and cause retarded cam timing (making low RPM performance suffer.)
Old 08-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
My first thoughts too. I have to do this with my 70 LT-1 when it gets a load of bad fuel but, it has a Cloyes True Roller timing set in it.

Factory GM timing gears are nylon coated and fail with age. If the LS-5 is original, it is not uncommon for sectons of nylon to crack off of aluminum sprocket and cause retarded cam timing (making low RPM performance suffer.)
Yes, those nylon teeth get brittle and can be snapped off quite easily. Interestingly the OP has not given any indication he has checked the timing, a simple inexpensive task.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:55 PM
wheatpj
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was diesel...what a dumb *** i am.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:43 PM
elke_10
Instructor

ahh not a dumbass ppl make mistakes but its a hell of alot cheaper then all those other suggestions that ppl stated. that a easy fix siphon out what you can then drian the tank from the line at the motor it will pick up the rest fron the pick-up tube also you can disconnect teh line and jack up the rear end and gravity and siphon will do the rest. then run some gas threw it and it will thin itslef out or you can drop the tank and clean it out that way too
Old 08-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Woodsters
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Good call elke_10.

[QUOTE=elke_10;1575013525]and not maybe mistakenly put diesel fuel in your car?/QUOTE]
Old 08-21-2010, 10:39 PM
elke_10
Instructor

Thanks woodsters every once in a while i strike one out of the park. but sadly its not the first time i had someone give that description and thats what it was. specially with all these new cars coming out and running diesel and now gas co. placing diesel at the same pump gas is on and for diesel cars they have the same size nozzles as the gas cars things can happen. and don't expect the clerk to say excuse me sir do you know you put diesel in your car. cuz in all reality 90% of the clerks these days you could say the car has a flux capassitor on it and they would be like wow!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:39 AM
wheatpj
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elke_10
Thanks woodsters every once in a while i strike one out of the park. but sadly its not the first time i had someone give that description and thats what it was. specially with all these new cars coming out and running diesel and now gas co. placing diesel at the same pump gas is on and for diesel cars they have the same size nozzles as the gas cars things can happen. and don't expect the clerk to say excuse me sir do you know you put diesel in your car. cuz in all reality 90% of the clerks these days you could say the car has a flux capassitor on it and they would be like wow!
I drove to the BP station to see how I messed up as bad as I did. There were 3 pumps on the island, the one I used had 4 nozzles, diesel being the far left, not premium. To the left of the pump I used was a smaller pump with 2 nozzles, the right-hand nozzle being green in color…I guess I thought it was the diesel pump. It was regular and plus by itself…screwy set-up. I guess I just reached left where premium usually is not realizing my pump had four nozzles.

Anyway, big thanks to elke 10, you kept me from pursuing some unnecessary, and likely expensive fixes. I’m sure I would have been chasing this problem for quite a while. I purchased a pair of appropriately marked 5 gallon fuel jugs and will drain the fuel system Sunday. Now what to do with the contaminated gasoline/diesel mix?

Thanks again

Pat
Old 08-22-2010, 01:00 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wheatpj
I drove to the BP station to see how I messed up as bad as I did. There were 3 pumps on the island, the one I used had 4 nozzles, diesel being the far left, not premium. To the left of the pump I used was a smaller pump with 2 nozzles, the right-hand nozzle being green in color…I guess I thought it was the diesel pump. It was regular and plus by itself…screwy set-up. I guess I just reached left where premium usually is not realizing my pump had four nozzles.

Anyway, big thanks to elke 10, you kept me from pursuing some unnecessary, and likely expensive fixes. I’m sure I would have been chasing this problem for quite a while. I purchased a pair of appropriately marked 5 gallon fuel jugs and will drain the fuel system Sunday. Now what to do with the contaminated gasoline/diesel mix?

Thanks again

Pat
Put it in your lawn mower.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:04 AM
elke_10
Instructor

Put it in your lawn mower.

Ya great comment a car won't run with a diesel/gas mix so lets try to stick it in a lawn mower or better yet lets stick it in a diesel and see if we can blow the heads off yay! sense my sarcasm

Anywho have fun cleaning your tank and about all you can do with that mixture is clean parts or use it for fire starter. Also while your cleaning your tank your gonna wanna change your plugs as the diesel fouled the hell out of them

Quick Reply: What happened to my engine???