C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differentail Problems while AutoX'ing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what causes the snap rings to fail but they do. The mushrooming of later axles was probably due to GM using lower cost steel and or reduced quality heat treating. (I work for the largest metal treatment company in the world and have extensive metalurgical experience, including heat treating) Per the article "The schematic drawing in Figure 7 represents one side of the suspension and the forces that occur and what happens to them. Side forces turn in the bottom of the wheel placing the lower torque rod in compression and the axle receives a tension load." That tension load puts a load on the snap ring and if it isn't there the axle will come out and that will change camber to positive. I'm sure that load is much higher with the 295/35/17 sticky tires I ran on the car, than the report gives, which was probably figured on a F-70 hard rubber tire on a 8" wheel. Simply if you expect to get the best performance from a stock set up have everything in the rear driveline and suspension working in the best order it can, that includes the snap rings. I very successfully AutoX'd my C-3 at the National level.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Starting? He's been an outright a-hole for a long time on this and other threads, despite his 'apologies' to me via PM. That's why he's on my 'ignore' list. It's pretty obvious he's only interested in personal attack and nothing else. Look at his response to you and complete dismissal of your own experience- simply because it contradicts his own thinking.

CF doesn't need trolls like this.
Sorry Mike, but If this thread (and the other one) had to have a 'designated bad guy' I'd nominate you for the trophy.

Despite 100 people telling you that those clips were there for good reason and had to take some of the load, some of the time, under some of the circumstances - you pretty much stood on your nobel prize winning calculations, and didn't want to hear anything else that didn't agree with you.

The final proof was that; even when faced with the GM Papers, your mind was still scrambling for a win, refusing to take in what it was saying - even in the face of the text. It reminded me of Clinton trying to define "is". That kind of denial can only be exhibited by someone who's totally "locked in" to a position, and unwilling to listen.

And remember - my car was missing a clip for 20+ years - and I couldn't tell the difference. But I wasn't autocrossing or running from the cops.

-W

Last edited by Clams Canino; 09-08-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Rikoshay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On 4x4 transfer cases there are "hardened" snap rings that can be installed. They are actually shot peened, not really hardened, but are supposed to be a lot stronger than the stock clip.

Quick Reply: Differentail Problems while AutoX'ing