C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Exhaust / Stainless Works Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 PM
LuC3FeR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Exhaust / Stainless Works Upgrade?

Mechanically, I'm a total newbie, so I apologize in advance for any ignorance or stupidity regarding my assumptions / questions. I did run a search on this topic (and read for what seemed like hours ) but wanted to consolidate my thoughts/questions to ensure my understanding on this subject is current and correct.

I have a stock 74 convertible L82 4sp with 40K original miles. The mufflers are in rough shape (2/10 - one is rusted through, the other is on its death bed). The manifolds are in decent shape (6/10) and the pipes in between are worn but seemingly operational otherwise (5/10).

I plan to keep the vehicle as orignal as possible. She will never be professionally judged or trailored and I drive her as much as I can. I will be keeping the stock manifolds. Performance is important to me, but not at the cost of altering her "numbers matching" status.

My plan is to go with the Stainless Works 2.5" factory replacement system (piping, mufflers, and tips) from the manifolds back.

Questions:

1. The aluminized kit from Stainless runs approximately $380 before shipping. Are there any other vendors I should look at which have a comparable / superior set up? I don't mind paying more should the benefits justify the cost increase.

2. The kit does NOT include an x-pipe. Honestly, how much of a sound/performance difference does this make?

3. Should I decide to use an x-pipe, I noticed that Summit sells a universal piece for ~$80. Will this "work" in combination with the Stainless Works kit without too much modification/fabrication by the exhaust shop?

4. For those of you that use the Stainless Works exhaust: On their site, they seem to have 2 kits for the same price that look very similar (p/n V7303200A and V6803000A). What are the differences between them?

5. For those of you that use the Stainless Works exhaust: Since hindsight is 20/20, how do you like this system and would you recommend it, or should I merely upgrade my mufflers and leave the stock piping as is?

6. Are the mufflers included in the Stainless Works kit factory replacements, or are they better performing / sounding (i.e. Magnaflows / Dynomax / etc.)? Are they the "round" style, or the "hideaway" style? I want to minimize the drone, vibration, etc. associated with some exhaust systems while optimizing performance and sound.

7. And finally, are there any other options / items that I'm overlooking? I will not be performing the work myself, and do not want to encounter any surprises along the way.

Once again, thank-you for taking the time to assist. I do want to say that this is THE best resource available, especially for those like myself, as there are so many experts willing to share their professional opinions and experiences. You are big assets to this site!

Best regards.

aC

Last edited by LuC3FeR; 07-15-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 PM
1971 LS-5
Advanced

I used Stainless Works' exhaust pipes for my exhaust system. These are mandrel bent pipes. Really, the only place you need the mandrel bends is in the S curve under the differential to the muffler. They tuck up nice.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I have no experience with the product your refer to, you claim to be a "newbie"...are you sure you are ready to install a stainless exhaust system? Fitment in some systems can be a challenge, which can be frustrating at best. For this reason you may want to check out some local muffler shops in your area that can custom build the system you are looking for. I think you also might be surprised how inexpensive this route can be. Bring your car in and talk to them. Even if you decide to install the system yourself, you could get answers to some of your questions. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The system may come from "Stainless Works", but if it is an 'aluminized' system, it isn't stainless steel...it is mild steel with an aluminized coating. They may also sell a stainless steel system, but it is probably much more expensive. Check into this with a call to them to be certain of what you will be getting. [I've never heard of an 'aluminized' stainless steel system].

If you add an X or H pipe, your system will not be 'stock' looking. It also won't really add much to engine performance; it may [or may not] improve the sound quality.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LuC3FeR
1. The aluminized kit from Stainless runs approximately $380 before shipping. Are there any other vendors I should look at which have a comparable / superior set up? I don't mind paying more should the benefits justify the cost increase.

We have a # of authorized dealers on the forum that can help you order the product.

2. The kit does NOT include an x-pipe. Honestly, how much of a sound/performance difference does this make?
3. Should I decide to use an x-pipe, I noticed that Summit sells a universal piece for ~$80. Will this "work" in combination with the Stainless Works kit without too much modification/fabrication by the exhaust shop?

If your looking to keep it factory original, then an X-pipe would throw that off. An X-pipe does help out with performance and sound of the vehicle, however on a stock SBC, the benefits may not be worth the trouble of modifying the system to work

4. For those of you that use the Stainless Works exhaust: On their site, they seem to have 2 kits for the same price that look very similar (p/n V7303200A and V6803000A). What are the differences between them?

Great question! I believe we need to fix that one our website. The correct part # for your car with a manual transmission would be the V6803000A.

5. For those of you that use the Stainless Works exhaust: Since hindsight is 20/20, how do you like this system and would you recommend it, or should I merely upgrade my mufflers and leave the stock piping as is?

Its made to factory spec and will fit like a glove. The quality and craftsmanship is second to none. We have been doing this system for over 20 years.

6. Are the mufflers included in the Stainless Works kit factory replacements, or are they better performing / sounding (i.e. Magnaflows / Dynomax / etc.)? Are they the "round" style, or the "hideaway" style? I want to minimize the drone, vibration, etc. associated with some exhaust systems while optimizing performance and sound.

They are an exact replica of the factory mufflers that came on the vette. They will have the factory sound, so there will be no vibration or drone.

7. And finally, are there any other options / items that I'm overlooking? I will not be performing the work myself, and do not want to encounter any surprises along the way.

Pretty straight forward install. As long as it has the original 2" manifolds, it will bolt right up!

When it comes down to it, this is a factory replacement system that just happens to be mandrel bent. For the money of the aluminized version, you cant beat the quality and workmanship. If I were to take the time and do the exhaust, I would definitely do the SS version though. As far as fitment and ease of installation, my wife could do the install on her back with the car on jack stands

Let me know if you have any other questions, Ill be more than happy to help out.

-Anthony

Last edited by Stainless Works; 07-16-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:44 PM
LuC3FeR
Intermediate

Thank-you all for your help and positive responses . Anthony, I'll give you a shout should I have more questions.

Take care all.

aC

Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Swift_C3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I fix computers and work on them constantly with that said I know how mechanical devices work though I'm mechanically impaired and never had anything but forums, youtube, and a few books to teach me.

With that said, it doesn't take rocket science to replace an exhaust system, a few bolts here and there, and possibly the use of a hack saw or hammer will get it done. With my lack of mechanic credentials, I did a full exhaust (headers back) and a full coil-over suspension on my RX-7, the thing with exhausts from online orders is fit, it either fits, or maybe you need to tweak it a bit (soft hammer) or it doesn't fit.... so basically as Stainless Works said, "my wife could do the install on her back with the car on jack stands " ..... but I did mine (the RX-7) in my mothers driveway while on liberty one weekend and it took a bit of time because I had to hacksaw some of the rusted portions.

I Think you'll be ok! just make sure someone knows your working on the car and will be under it, so they can check on you from time to time.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Did I read that right, you have stock cast iron manifolds?
If so then the nuts and studs can be hard to remove after 37 years.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:31 PM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
Did I read that right, you have stock cast iron manifolds?
If so then the nuts and studs can be hard to remove after 37 years.
Nothing a gas wrench cant take care of
Old 07-16-2010, 03:37 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Stainless Works
Nothing a gas wrench cant take care of
That certainly is the required method, but I'm not sure a "newbie" mechanic should be using a gas wrench while working on his back in a garage.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock Exhaust / Stainless Works Upgrade?

Quick Reply: Stock Exhaust / Stainless Works Upgrade?