C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery wire for HEI distributor

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 PM
mfpvette80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery wire for HEI distributor

My 1980 has been converted from the HEI ignition to a Mallory CD box several years ago. I suspect a problem with the CD box (intermittent stalling) and I want to convert back to the standard HEI module. I have the original 4 pin module, and can locate the tach wire to go to the coil. What I can't find is the pink battery (key controlled) power lead that goes to the coil. Does it come from the same part of the harness as the tach wire? There is a pink wire going to the wiper motor, but I know that's not it.

I know I wouldn't have cut it off. If anyone can take a quick look to see where the wire originates it would be appreciated. Also, is the capacitor that goes to the module integrated with the pick up coil connector? I need to dig around to find that too. Hope I didn't toss it.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:50 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 320 Likes on 271 Posts

The pink wire originates from the fuse panel on the engine side. I don't think it's part of any other harness other than the whole engine one. I'm not sure the position in the fuse panel is universal, but I an check on my 73 if you want.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 PM
sniperdiver37
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mfpvette80
My 1980 has been converted from the HEI ignition to a Mallory CD box several years ago. I suspect a problem with the CD box (intermittent stalling) and I want to convert back to the standard HEI module. I have the original 4 pin module, and can locate the tach wire to go to the coil. What I can't find is the pink battery (key controlled) power lead that goes to the coil. Does it come from the same part of the harness as the tach wire? There is a pink wire going to the wiper motor, but I know that's not it.

I know I wouldn't have cut it off. If anyone can take a quick look to see where the wire originates it would be appreciated. Also, is the capacitor that goes to the module integrated with the pick up coil connector? I need to dig around to find that too. Hope I didn't toss it.
On an 81 its a larger pink wire fron the area of where the steering comes through. comes out of the main harness. went to capacitor with brown connectors. I might have one I pulled off. I put in an HEI and am not using one. Not real sure what it did and seems to work fine without.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:30 AM
mfpvette80
Instructor

Thanks, I found it with the forums help. Another similar question: The harness that runs from the coil to the 4 pin module inside the distributor has three connections. Coil +, coil -, and ground (in the center). The module has 2 pins that go into the other end of the harness. A brown wire, and an orange and the capacitor. Can anyone tell me where the center (ground) with from the coil side of the harness goes? The wiring diagrams do not show a ground. Mine was cut off. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:11 PM
mfpvette80
Instructor

I found that the center wire was a ground by finding a C3 in a local junk yard. All set now.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery wire for HEI distributor

Quick Reply: Battery wire for HEI distributor