C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (I want to install XM and a CD player)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 03:15 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (I want to install XM and a CD player)

Well I think that I've decided not to be affraid to cut the dash.

I want to install an XM ready CD player radio. The radio I have now is Custom autosound piece of junk that is on it's last legs. I bought the car to drive and enjoy, so as long as I can make it look good I don't think cutting up the console is that big of a deal.

So how can I make it look good?

I'll need to cut a big rectangle, but how do I compensate for the curve in the console?

Please post pictures if you have any.

I'm open to any advice you have.

BTW- I have the Sony XM reciever, it's not very good, but the service is outstanding! I'll never listen to FM again. The best part is that the antenna works in the area behind the seats, so it doesn't need to be mounted on the surface of the car:)

Thanks,
~Jay
Old 03-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Black68Vette
Pro

Default Re: Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (Jay M)

I dunno, I kinda like the little sony shark fin stuck on the middle of the t-top bar.. then again, my car is black, and I never ride it with the t-tops in...

So far as compensating for the curve, the answer is don't worry about it. All the modern DIN size radios come with a metal "shell" that slides into the hole, plus the plastic surround that goes on top. The shell has foldable tabs at varying lengths from the front, so you'll get a good grip on the console face, and the plastic surround should mostly cover up the little bit that would be sticking forward of the console face.

Although actually since it is a 68, you might be best off finding a used 69-72 face, and cut that one... the 68 face is worth twice what one of those are (just in case you want to be able to sell it as original style someday, with that autosound radio)

[Modified by Black68Vette, 8:44 PM 3/22/2002]
Old 03-22-2002, 05:05 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (Black68Vette)

Here's the whole you will need to cut.

Unfortunately I can't say I did it myself. To make it look right and cover up the edges, you need to either buy or make a faceplate to fit the curve and give the head unit a flat edge to mount to. I'll try to take a picture of mine this afternoon and post it. You may be able to buy one of them at a stereo shop, if not, you could make it out of a piece of aluminum. When it's all said and done, it looks really smooth. Unfortunately my radio is out right now and I can't provide any pics of what the finished product looks like. But there are a few other guys here on the forum that have done the exact same thing and should be able to provide some pics.
I had a spare gauge console and I cut up the one that wasn't in as good of shape. So if I want to go back to original (I still have the original style radio) I can switch it out. Sorry for the large pic.

[Modified by tshort, 9:07 PM 3/22/2002]
Old 03-22-2002, 05:14 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (tshort)

Take a look at this post http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=262653 . Vettedan has the same setup as mine with a blaupunkt.

[Modified by tshort, 9:15 PM 3/22/2002]
Old 03-22-2002, 05:47 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (tshort)

Thanks,
Those are a big help!

Is the '69 different than the '69-'72?

Vettedan had a great idea- find a console that is already cut:) I thought of buying an Ecklers console Glad I asked for help!!

If the '69-'72 is different, will it and gauges still fit in my car?

Thanks,
~Jay
Old 03-22-2002, 05:59 PM
JimBRO
Instructor

Haven't done the work yet, but all parts are bought. Got a good deal on e-bay for a new center console (factory GM original) and bought the face plate from http://www.aius.net/ (part number FP-306). Looks like it should work. Putting a Pioneer head unit in and infinity speakers in the kicks. Waiting for spring to rock and roll.

JimBRO
Old 03-22-2002, 06:11 PM
Terrys69coupe
Instructor

I just cut mine out last weekend for a alpine cd player that part # is right .You still have to cut the plastic out on the back side .But thats nothing compared to the metal you will cut .I used a rotozip it seemed to cut the best .Kept breakin cut off wheels with my dremel. If you where smart you'd trade some one that already cut theirs and wants a orginal one back .Plus some cash of course.I'd post on forsale board probable make a couple of bucks.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Black68Vette
Pro

Is the '69 different than the '69-'72?
If the '69-'72 is different, will it and gauges still fit in my car?
By golly Jay, no the 69 isnt different than the 69-72, but the 68 sure as hell is!! Be proud of that one year car, no matter how much more you pay for parts! Anyhow, the only actual difference is that the 69-72 gauge face plate is textured (like their shifter console is as well), but in 68 it is flat. However Ecklers and everyone else pretty much charge $300 for a brand new 68, and $150 for 69-72... You do the math. The console plate around the shifter? CAN'T get a 68 one anywhere unless you find it used. 69-72? available easy for around $100.. Funny really, my car was "bubba'd", some :conehead put a 77 interior in it. I've had to claw and fight to get 68 parts to put in it at a reasonable price (can we say hello ebay?). So yeah, check ebay for one, or post a wtb in the forum here for a 69-72 gauge console face, and save your rare 68 one.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Jay
what do you mean the Sony is not very good?
i plan to get on for my house, DRN-xm01H, WILL I BE DISAPPOINTED?
Old 03-22-2002, 09:04 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Personally, I would not bother cutting the dash...just fit something in with an external input, and supply a portable device....CD or MP3 player....to plug in source....no CD's to have stolen...no players to loose....

no smashed windows, slashed tops...messed up dashes....

GENE
Old 03-22-2002, 09:18 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (drives61)

The Sony has a few big problems:
1- The display is practially unreadable. No matter how I adjust the brightness and contrast it doesn't help. In a dark room if you look directly at it you can see it. In the Convertible while wearing sunglasses and trying to drive, it is nearly impossible to read. It does have a Memo button so I can look at the info when it's safe.

2- The line out is little 1/8" jack the comes loose if you touch it

3- It has a noisey fan. it's not bad in the car, but in the house it will drive you nuts!

4- It is more difficult to mount than you might think. There is a wheel on top that you need access to. For ease of use it should be mounted on the dash board, BUT NOT ON MY CAR! I think a pedistal like people use for portible cd players may work well.

5- Only 5 presets for 100 channels! That combined with the bad display make it hard to get to all the channels I'd be interested in.

But it is the only choice for inside the house now. And the reception works well even on the ground floor. HOWEVER- When I use the 2.4 gigahertz cordless phone it blocks the XM signal! I guess if I put the antenna in the attic they may not be a problem.

I tried out the Pioneer today, but I don't like the user interface. There are only 8 characters for song title, which isn't nearly enough. I guess I'll reconsider the Alpine$$.

---Thanks for the idea to buy a pre-cut '69 console. I found one for $50- Is that a good deal?

Thanks,
~Jay
Old 03-22-2002, 09:25 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (mrvette)

Personally, I would not bother cutting the dash...just fit something in with an external input, and supply a portable device....CD or MP3 player....to plug in source....no CD's to have stolen...no players to loose....
no smashed windows, slashed tops...messed up dashes....

GENE

That was my first idea. But portable devices seem a little difficult to use while driving. Plus the XM reciever doesn't have a Volume ****. And it would be nice to also have XM, Radio and CD all in one device.

It is nice that as it is now I don't have to worry about anyone stealing the crappy radio, though sometimes I wish they would;)

Thanks,
~Jay

Old 03-22-2002, 09:25 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

First no big deal to cut out, use a Dremel tool with a small cutting wheel. If you want to change sometime just buy a new frame for $120. Go to my web site and see my CD player.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:07 PM
Dave84/76
Racer

Jay, if you need the dash kit and can not find one locally, i sell them and could ship to you. If you need one, e-mail me or call me at the shop. (770)925-7003.

Old 03-22-2002, 10:42 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (Dave84/76)

Thanks Dave,

What's included in the dash kit? Is the part I see metal or plastic?

Thanks,
~Jay
Old 03-23-2002, 02:13 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Jay
Thanks for the info.
THE FAN worries me.
A fan in a radio! must be a few morons at sony :crazy:
Old 03-23-2002, 08:16 AM
Black68Vette
Pro

Default Re: Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (drives61)

Jay
what do you mean the Sony is not very good?
i plan to get on for my house, DRN-xm01H, WILL I BE DISAPPOINTED?
Just for the house? or for the car too? I've got one in the car (normally sits in my Aztek).. I agree with what jay said on it, but do add that other than a head unit / reciever with XM built in, its currently the best bet for home XM.

Get notified of new replies

To Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (I want to install XM and a CD player)

Old 03-23-2002, 08:19 AM
Black68Vette
Pro

Default Re: Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (Dave84/76)

How much?
Old 03-23-2002, 09:48 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Default Re: Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (Black68Vette)

for a sirius radio i found a tuner with:
1. no fan
2. remote control
3. 15 pre-sets
4. RCA output- not that FM modulated crap
5. $229
only problem is sirius is available only in 4 states so far, so i have to wait a few...
6. sirius is 100% commercial free@12.95/mo
Old 03-23-2002, 12:45 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

When you cut your console - just make sure that you don't cut too much.
I cut out a little less and then used a file to make it a perfect fit!

Olivier

Quick Reply: Modern stereo head unit in a '68? (I want to install XM and a CD player)