C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 turning radius

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:37 PM
fwillison
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C3 turning radius

68 roadster with standard steering, correct aft hole used in steering knuckle.
Maneuvering in even slightly close quarters is ridiculous. I have to 3 point turn all the time, even with lock to lock wheel turn.
Thinking of upgrading to a stock style power steering to at least minimize effort, but it seems like the turning radius is too large.
My 63 is no problem, same frame and suspension.
P.O. did total frame/suspension rebuild. Could something be amiss?

fred
Old 07-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Your 68 should turn as tight as your 63 seeing as how they share the same wheelbase and steering componets.

Wide wheels and tires might make a little difference but, not that much. I'm thinking you have a steering gearbox problem.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 PM
fwillison
Racer

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Your 68 should turn as tight as your 63 seeing as how they share the same wheelbase and steering componets.

Wide wheels and tires might make a little difference but, not that much. I'm thinking you have a steering gearbox problem.
would the gearbox cause this even with lock to lock turning?

any way to further diagnose?

fw
Old 07-11-2010, 05:01 PM
fwillison
Racer

OK, I looked under the car while on jack stands, while turning the steering wheel.
First the wheel will turn almost 2 complete revolutions when turning left, but only 1 1/2 revolutions when turning right.
With lock to lock left turn everything looks correct, the tire is almost but not quite hitting frame.
However, lock to lock right turn, there is about 2 inches before tire approaches frame. Reason seems to be that Pittman arm strikes the bolt on the bracket holding the steering shock damper.
What is installed incorrectly?
Is it the Pittman arm?
Pics:

thoughts?
Fred
Old 07-11-2010, 05:30 PM
fwillison
Racer

heres another pic
Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out this link to see if it help you.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=182

Rick B.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:21 PM
fwillison
Racer

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
Check out this link to see if it help you.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=182

Rick B.
Thanks Rick (and Willcox)
I'm wondering if I have a power steering Pittman arm on my manual steering car. Without the curve downward it could possible hit the bolt on the steering damper bracket.
Of course, I'm planning to upgrade to power steering, so if this is true, it'll save me a step!
Fred
Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
fwillison
Racer

well, now that I think about it, I doubt that having a power steering Pittman arm is the problem. On a power steering car the bracket for the steering cylinder bolts to the same place with the same bolts. So it would seem the power steering Pittman arm can't interfere with these bolts.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Do you have a pair of these holding the bracket on? Easy enough to check. If you loosen 2 nuts on the same side (outside or inside) they should both move if you wiggle one of them.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=16181

I'm wondering of someone used some bolts that are too long. Since you have different lock-to-lock turns it could also be that the pittman arm was installed without the steering box being centered. Look up Jim Shea's steering papers on corvettefaq.com and you might find more information on pittman arm installation. Jim Shea is by far the most knowlegeable person for steering assembly information.

Rick B.

Last edited by 72LS1Vette; 07-12-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 PM
fwillison
Racer

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
Do you have a pair of these holding the bracket on? Easy enough to check. If you loosen 2 nuts on the same side (outside or inside) they should both move if you wiggle one of them.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=16181

I'm wondering of someone used some bolts that are too long. Since you have different lock-to-lock turns it could also be that the pittman arm was installed without the steering box being centered. Look up Jim Shea's steering papers on corvettefaq.com and you might find more information on pittman arm installation. Jim Shea is by far the most knowlegeable person for steering assembly information.

Rick B.
I'm pretty sure it's got those brackets because I tried to remove the one bolt that caused the interference for a quick Bubba fix. It wouldn't come out after the nut was off, probably because the bracket was holding it. I didn't want to remove two bolts.
I also thought about a shorter bolt, but as you can see it there is very little clearance for any bolt in that location.
Something is boogered up, just not sure what. I haven't worked on steering linkage before.
thanks for the input!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

You might try sending a PM to Jim Shea. He usually weighs in on any steering thread but he may not have seen this one.

Rick B.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it possible that those 4 bolts are installed wrong and need to be turned around?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:39 AM
fwillison
Racer

Originally Posted by DZRick
Is it possible that those 4 bolts are installed wrong and need to be turned around?
I don't think so, Rick
the AIM shows 'em like this
I'll ask Jim Shea to take a look

Fred
Old 07-17-2010, 11:14 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

i had a similar problem after a front end alignment. turned out that the putz that did it had the toe-adjusting tubes turned all the way to one side, rather than centered. i just counted the turns and set both near the center. problem solved.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:14 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
i had a similar problem after a front end alignment. turned out that the putz that did it had the toe-adjusting tubes turned all the way to one side, rather than centered. i just counted the turns and set both near the center. problem solved.
OFF by one whole turn of the wheel??
Old 07-17-2010, 04:26 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

yes. needed about 3 lanes to make a right turn!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would have the alignment checked again. My car use to rub the tire when makin a right hand turn. After rebuilding the front end and having it realigned by a competent shop, the problem disappeared!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:58 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

with the steering wheel pointed straight ahead, that pitman arm off bottom of the box, has to point straight aft.....
NOT concerned with the wheels, just those two points...wheel straight, pretty close to equal turns R-L and that arm straight aft....

then we look at the wheels....better be aligned correctly....IF they are really screwed up, at that point they CAN limit your steering....so if any question, pop the cross link/valve off the pitman arm end....square up the steering wheel with that arm pointing direct aft....better be same turns r-l....

case closed.....

Get notified of new replies

To C3 turning radius

Quick Reply: C3 turning radius