C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 10:50 PM
AngNDave21
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Pipes

In my quest for a new Vette i'm seeing some with and some without side pipes. I think i like the look but have yet to drive one with them. Any feedback on the noise levels, ground clearance, or hp gains? Is it possible to put side pipes on a car originally without without modifications to the body? :jester
Old 03-22-2002, 11:13 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Side Pipes (AngNDave21)

I bought my 75 with sidepipes already installed...the previous owner had them installed the year before I bought it. I could be wrong, but I think you can install sidepipes on any C3 without any modifications...thoughtfully GM left all the holes and such for installation of the stock 69 style side pipes in the correct places throughout the build years, I'm not sure about aftermarket brands. When it's the stock sidepipes it's not noise, but music...it's not loud enough to be irritating, but on long trips it could become annoying, but I like them even on long trips.

When you look at C3's with sidepipes already on them...check to make sure the sidepipe covers are not integral with the pipes...cause if they are then the covers will get just too damn hot and burn your legs while getting in&out if you touch them. Also check to be sure that the covers are chromed aluminum instead of the cheaper (no offense for those with less $$$) painted fiberglass covers.

I believe both Summit and Ecklers sells everything you need to install them on a C3...the plastic covers and pipes are only like $550 or something like that, while the chrome aluminum covers alone are $2,000.

I am very happy that I have sidepipes...if I didn't have them I would wish I did.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:13 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 2 different types of sidepipes. The 69 style (like I have in my sig) or the header/sidepipe combo.

The 69 style bolt to original manifolds so performance gain is not what the header/sidepipe combo would be.

Either style can be installed with very minor body mods.

As far as noise, it is a matter of preference. Some say they are too loud, others say not loud enough. The 69 style are probably not quite as loud as the header/sidepipe combo.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:20 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Side Pipes (Rockn-Roll)

Actually, you have to make a slight modification to the rocker panel to make the stock style pipes fit. It's under the moulding so no big deal.
I have the more affordable fiberglass covers which seem fine so far. I agree chrome is always better - especially in the bumper area. :jester

(dig - j/k - no flame please)

Old 03-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

They are loud, but if you like the sound, it's music to your ears! :D
Yes they can be added to any C-3, but if your car is a 75 or newer, and it has to pass emissions testing, not having a catalytic convertor can be a problem. Although one of the local inspection spot morons told me that Texas didn't require cats on cars before 1984. I personally don't think that is correct, so check Houston's pollution restrictions before you make a decision.
There are several types of sidepipes, the only year they were offered from the factory was in 1969, but you can put factory replica pipes on all C-3s. True metal cover replicas are quite expensive, it will probably cost you close to $3000.00 to buy everything new and put them on.
A popular alternative is fiberglass covers that are shaped just like the factory covers. You can paint them to match your car (looks pretty darned good in my opinion) or paint them with Chrome or silver paint. You still have to have pipes behind the covers, you can either build your own out of pipe and bullet mufflers (Rolling Thunder did this) or buy the original chambered sidepipe mufflers (stainless about $700, aluminized steel about $400-$450 a pair.) These are really quite restrictive and won't give you very good performance. There are other alternatives for someone who likes to experiment and try and cobble up their own, your imagination is the only thing that limits what you make.
Another popular alternative is to get Hooker side exhaust headers and pipes. These are available either painted, chrome plated or ceramic coated. The ceramic coated are the most durable, painted ones rust, chrome ones tend to discolor and yellow over age. A lot of people will buy their Hookers directly from a Ceramic coating place and save a little money.
Hooker sidepipes look great, but they are dangerous if you like to wear shorts or you have young children around, because they are bare metal that has hot exhaust gas running through it. They will give you a 2nd degree burn in a split second. Lots of people have scars on their legs from these things. Hooker standard side pipe baffles are very restrictive, and will hurt your performance as much as factory sidepipe mufflers, there is a good alternative from a couple of new companies. They are spiral type baffles that slide right inside the hollow sidepipes. Dyno test show that there is minimal reduction of performance and they still cut the noise down to a streetable level.
The main complaint I've heard from sidepipe owners is popping and other annoying sounds that come from their factory pipes, this can be eliminated or reduced by plumbing a cross over between the two sides. This isn't exactly easy to do, but some people have done it with good success. It will tone down the annoying noises out of them.
Finally there is a cheap alternative, Dyno-max sells a sidepipe setup, it is sort of plain looking, but they are functional, but they do work and are easy to install. Actually they don't sound too bad, I think they sound better than factory pipes. You can put the fiberglass covers over them and they will function as a good alternative to the more expensive sidepipe mufflers.
Sorry for the long message, but I wanted to tell you everything that I know about them.

This is probably more information than you wanted, but I
Old 03-22-2002, 11:47 PM
AngNDave21
8th Gear

I dig the noise. As for emissions in Texas, 25 years and older do not require emissions testing per Inspection person. From the info given already I think I need some Heheheh. :reddevil
Old 03-23-2002, 12:13 AM
ZORA_RULES
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Side Pipes (Smokehouse69)

Good Post Smoke House.

One thing to note, if you have a 68-73 car and are converting, body modification is required. See my website. On the rear after you drop the stock exhaut their are cutouts that will leave wholes for the factory exhaust. You can buy a filler panel that bolts up to fill the wholes (Ecklers and Vanacors sells these), but a lot of times, it doesn't match up with the other panels perfectly and you get gaps. I filled all the seems on my car and painted it, as I don't ever plan to go back to regular exhaust or sell the car.

As for noise and performance, I've seen 427V8 give some good info too. But I went from Stock Ram horns and 2" on a small block to headman side exhaust headers and 2.5" 69 pipes and there is no performance drop in my car, I think I gained a little, but not as much as before I bolted the pipes to the headers :D. They are definitly louder than regular exhaust, but hey I love the V8 sound, no complaints from me there. As for covers, people are right, orginals are very expensive, but look superior to any of the painted jobs, unfortunatley spending $2000 just for covers isn't an option for everybody :(.

I don't know much about the Hooker Headers other than they look :cool:
Old 03-23-2002, 08:34 AM
Clink69
Drifting

I dig the noise.
Is that word coming back again, I feel old....:lol:

:flag
Old 03-23-2002, 11:19 AM
AngNDave21
8th Gear

Default Re: Side Pipes (Clink69)

I'm sure everything comes back around sooner or later. I just think it's a kewl word. Especially when used in the phrase, "We can dig it!" Heheheh :hat
Old 03-23-2002, 01:31 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave...I have a section on my website of forum member's cars with sidepipes...just select the sidepipe link.
http://corvettec3.com

SIDE PIPES ROCK!!!! :D

[Modified by Binnie77, 1:32 PM 3/23/2002]
Old 03-23-2002, 01:52 PM
JCL
Burning Brakes

Noise levels: Great! Ground clearence: Better than UNDER the car systems. Horse power gains: Ask 69TTOP502. JCL :cool: :cool: :chevy "Sidepipes are the ONLY way"
Old 03-23-2002, 04:18 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
Sidepipes are the only acceptable exhaust for Vettes. :cool:
For 69 , I would try to install the GM original side pipes, but for any other Vette , the HOOKER header + pipe combo rules.
Verry agressive and massive look. A real eye catcher for everybody, specially in this part of the world.
Gunther :seeya

[Modified by WESCH, 2:19 PM 3/23/2002]
Old 03-23-2002, 05:21 PM
2nspire
Racer

Default Re: Side Pipes (WESCH)

Vette = sidepipes. that is just my opinion. BUT i haven't burn't my legs yet and I am very leery about little kids getting burnt.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:57 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Side Pipes (2nspire)

The Hooker headers bolted right to my 74 :D . I did modify (Bubba) the connecting flange to the head though. The flange was all one piece and required me to remove the oil dipstick and the H2O temp sending unit in the head (which drains all the coolant from the motor :( ). Now I won't have to remove things when taking them on & off the car, because I cutoff the steel flange in between the header tubes. ;) .

I love the look, and will very excited about installing the JCL pipes for this years :yesnod: .

[Modified by SmokedTires, 3:59 PM 3/23/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Side Pipes

Quick Reply: Side Pipes