C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help or tips needed for new center console install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Help or tips needed for new center console install

We are trying to finalize the interior on this restoration and the new Corvette America center console doesn't want to fit into place very well. The car didn't come with the original console so I don't have anything to compare this aftermarket one with but it seems to be off enough to make assembly a bear.

I can not get it forward enough to insert the two side screws into the metal bracket mounted on the tunnel. It butts up against the dash panels and even with the passenger dash still out it is very difficult to get the driver's side dash to move any farther forward so the center console will line up.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions?

TIA
Old 07-05-2010, 11:53 AM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year you talkin' 'bout??

On my '75, I do have a slight issue with fitting the center gauge bezel, center console, and parking brake cover properly. I finally gave up and just ended up forcing everything into place, and not securing them with any screws, since the holes didn't line up - which I do not recommend. Between old carpeting, insulation, all the wiring, and the heater/vent controls - there aint much room under there.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

The bracket on the front of the lower console will pivot to match up with the lower end of the gauge cluster. You need to just start (a coupe of threads) the flanged nuts on those lower studs, then slide them into the slots on that bracket. Tighten them (just pretty snug...don't get crazy or they will break off) from the removable front panels on the lower console.

It would really help you if you had a copy of the A.I.M. for your year car. The detail layout of the wire routing and assembly is there for you to review.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Scott,
I found that on my 71 with original parts I had to get the forward console in place with screws just started before I put the the center gauge bezel in. Othewise, the bezel wanted to push the console back too far. CAREFUL pushing on that bezel!!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Thanks for the tips all, it is a '76 and I do have the AIM, the wire harness and parts are installed per it, I guess things are just real tight in this area.

Get notified of new replies

To Help or tips needed for new center console install

Quick Reply: Help or tips needed for new center console install