C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BB Oval port intake for L88 hood and air box

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Default BB Oval port intake for L88 hood and air box

OK after going through several searches I'm still confused.
I need an intake to replace a Team G on a solid lifter big block stroker with mid 60s reworked oval port iron heads that puts out a little over 500 H/P because it's way to tall. I'm not looking for every last ounce of power. I would be happy with something that will fit under the hood with little or no drama without choking the motor. From what I've read A Holley Dominator will work but they have to be found used. I think a Performer RPM, a Performer RPM Air Gap, and a Weiand Stealth may work. They are all near/about 5.5" tall. The GM hi/perf intake is 4.5" tall which should fit with room to spare. Suggestions please. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
OK after going through several searches I'm still confused.
I need an intake to replace a Team G on a solid lifter big block stroker with mid 60s reworked oval port iron heads that puts out a little over 500 H/P because it's way to tall. I'm not looking for every last ounce of power. I would be happy with something that will fit under the hood with little or no drama without choking the motor. From what I've read A Holley Dominator will work but they have to be found used. I think a Performer RPM, a Performer RPM Air Gap, and a Weiand Stealth may work. They are all near/about 5.5" tall. The GM hi/perf intake is 4.5" tall which should fit with room to spare. Suggestions please. Thanks.
All 3 intakes you listed should fit and serve the purpose, although I've never seen or heard of the Stealth being used by a BB L-88 hood owner. I went with the RPM Air Gap with the same hood/airbox you have and am very happy with fit & performance.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
From what I've read A Holley Dominator will work but they have to be found used.
The Strip Dominator is still available new. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-300-4/
Old 06-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT
The Strip Dominator is still available new. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-300-4/
Wow, I didn't realize that intake was designed for such a high RPM powerband! I'm guessing his motor is more street oriented- at least I hope so for his sake.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:10 PM
68sting
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a rpm performer with no problems.

Last edited by 68sting; 07-02-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:31 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a Weiand Stealth #8018 intake on the BB in my 69 with a factory L88 style air cleaner and foam seal. It matches up to the cold air intake and Ecklers L88 hood and cold air chamber very nice.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

1st Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by Les
Wow, I didn't realize that intake was designed for such a high RPM powerband! I'm guessing his motor is more street oriented- at least I hope so for his sake.
Neither did I. This motor will not be seeing over 6500 RPMs so I'll decide on one of the 2 Performers or the Stealth since it looks like all 3 of them should fit with little or no difficulty.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Get notified of new replies

To BB Oval port intake for L88 hood and air box

Quick Reply: BB Oval port intake for L88 hood and air box