C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb(s) and Intake: Enough Clearance??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:44 PM
marz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman
Pardon?

What other setup are you talking about? I never told you what setup I have. What other model?
You said you had the C-26 intake. It is lower than the AirGap.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 PM
marz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Heine
I have no experience (my C3 is a 454) but I went to the Edelbrock website and looked up the dual quad air gap manifold. Here's what it says:
RPM Air-Gap Dual-Quad (1500-6500 rpm)
Designed for 1955-86 S/B Chevys, this intake stands 1-5/8" taller than the low-profile C-26 intake and offers performance improvements in the 1500-6500 rpm range. The large runners feature our unique Air-Gap design that separates the runners from the hot engine valley for a cooler, denser charge. Will not fit under stock Corvette hood. Also available as a complete carb and manifold kit.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...carbs-sb.shtml

It isn't clear if it fits under an L-88 hood or high-rise hood from Ecklers but it's clear it doesn't under the stock hood. The other dual quad manifold is lower so that might help.
They also states the AirGap RPM would not fit under the hood and I had one on my 75...with a spacer...and had no clearance problems. I don't know why your motor is sitting higher. Any aftermarket motor mounts? Just trying to guess at it at this point.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:23 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marz
You said you had the C-26 intake. It is lower than the AirGap.
Please show/quote me where I said I had a C26 intake...I've been talking about the air gap from the very beginning. Someone else mentioned a C26 intake on the other hand..

But that is a relief that it fit fine in your car..gives me hope!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They also states the AirGap RPM would not fit under the hood and I had one on my 75...with a spacer...and had no clearance problems. I don't know why your motor is sitting higher. Any aftermarket motor mounts? Just trying to guess at it at this point.
You should contact Edelbrock and let them know their information is wrong. Wouldn't be the frst time a website description was wrong.

My stock big block came with a sunken (low-rise) manifold and LT-1 style hood. The motor mounts are GM stock replacement. The only way to put a mid or high-rise manifold on was to replace the hood with an L-88 and replace the air cleaner base with a dropped one.

As I stated in my post, I have no experience with small-block C3's. I was just providing information from the manufacturer. Hopefully whoever ships the intake setup to the OP will take it back if indeed it doesn't fit.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 PM
marz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Birdman
Please show/quote me where I said I had a C26 intake...I've been talking about the air gap from the very beginning. Someone else mentioned a C26 intake on the other hand..

But that is a relief that it fit fine in your car..gives me hope!
Ahh, my apologies. I got ahead of myself. I know this stuff gets mind-boggling so I hope you end up with as little problem as possible. What works for one doesn't always work for another. These darn Vettes! Good luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 PM
marz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Heine
You should contact Edelbrock and let them know their information is wrong. Wouldn't be the frst time a website description was wrong.

My stock big block came with a sunken (low-rise) manifold and LT-1 style hood. The motor mounts are GM stock replacement. The only way to put a mid or high-rise manifold on was to replace the hood with an L-88 and replace the air cleaner base with a dropped one.

As I stated in my post, I have no experience with small-block C3's. I was just providing information from the manufacturer. Hopefully whoever ships the intake setup to the OP will take it back if indeed it doesn't fit.
I hear you. Big blocks are whole different animal. I did talk with the Edelbrock rep when I eventually ordered the Barry Grant Demon I eventually put on it. I had a 750 Holley on it before then. I told him what I had done and even sent the guy a pic of it. I really never got any feedback. Also told the guys at Jegs.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:57 PM
laytonkopplin
Racer

ok so did the dual air gap ever work
Old 12-27-2010, 08:57 AM
jostby
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by laytonkopplin
ok so did the dual air gap ever work
I have about 3 previous posts that explain what was required to make it work. L88 hood, small distributor, and I had to modify the air cleaner base to drop the air cleaner an extra 1/2".
The only reason I did all this is because my uncle had bought these parts without any research 3-4 yrs ago and they wouldn't take them back. It sure looks nice though.

Jeff.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:38 PM
laytonkopplin
Racer

ok well i'm looking at the same set up but I'm using a L88 hood and putting a stinger hood scoop on it for the extra clearance
Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Air Gap on my ZZ4 350,w/Edelbrock 800cfm carb and 14" chrome air cleaner - had to go with Eckler's L-88 hood, LT-1 would not fit. pic of engine:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...etec_435.shtml
Old 12-28-2010, 11:25 PM
mj9311
Racer

I had the same setup on my 76. I had no clearance issues at all with the original hood. It was on a small block 383 stroker.
how did u have no clearance issues?? i just put a 383 stroker in my 76 with edelbrock heads, performer rpm intake and single holley carb ant even with a drop bace filter with a 2.5" 14" element and im certain i wont have hood clearance... i haven't put the hood on yet but it isn't looking promising

Quick Reply: Carb(s) and Intake: Enough Clearance??