C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75' Side Pipes or dual exhaust opinions requested

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:52 PM
DunskisC3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75' Side Pipes or dual exhaust opinions requested

I have read countless threads and everyone gives great feedback and info. I would like some opinions on exhaust as I am ready to replace on the 75 which will include the headers (have stock exhaust now which is shot).
-Side Pipes have a great look. Please let me know your thoughts on the pros / cons (noise etc.)
-I have dual exhaust now but would like feedback on those who have switched to side pipes and their views of pros / cons.
After this season I will be increasing the horses with the ultimate goal of about 400rwhp, and maybe a pro charger. I would like to keep whatever exhaust I choose with the motor rework and upgrades.
Thank you in advance,
Tim
Old 06-09-2010, 04:07 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 69 style side pipes on a 75 look and sound great. Drawback is that it sets off everyones motion sensors. But, you can tone them down...the stock 69 pipes are just chambered exhaust...something with some more baffles would help.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Red_Shift
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Hooker side exhaust on my 75. My passinger side fit fine but I had to cut a section out of my driver side rocker to get that to fit. I have to remind passengers to watch their legs.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I'm not a big fan of sidepipes, and am probably in the minority on that but that is a personal decision. Most of the sidepipes I have seen really suck as far as performance goes. The mufflers or inserts they use are terrible, They restrict so much flow it kills performance. Now there are some out there that flow very well also. If you do go with the sidepipes and performance is your goal make your selection wisely.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
DunskisC3
Advanced

Thank you for the responses everyone. I like as many opinions as possible along with personal experiences so please leave yours if you have the time.
Performance is my first priority with Aesthetics a very close second, and sound being the third and final consideration. ($ is always a consideration, but quality and longevity come first).
Thanks again for your quick responses and help! I am looking to make my decision quickly as I want to get back behind the wheel ASAP!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
warsurfer
Instructor

I have the hooker supercomp's - loud as hell and not restrictive at all (I have the least restrictive mufflers). I don't daily drive it so I can live with them being loud.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a set of the Hooker Header Side Pipes on my 68 Roadster.
Yes, they look bitchen.
Great for under car work, like removing tranny, etc.
The header pipes were too big for the 427 and hurt the L36 low end torque.
You will burn your leg.
I now have Hedman ceramic headers, a decent set of duals and chrome tips (looks bitchen).
Everything else is the opposite of the side pipes.
Personally, I prefer the undercar exhaust.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 PM
DunskisC3
Advanced

Thanks for the input Jeff. Quick couple of follow up questions:
1 - which option do you feel is better for performance?
2 - I do want to drive often and will want to listen to the radio. How did the Hooker side pipes sound relative to enjoyable driving?
....I guess I want my cake, eat it too, and not have to cuddle after :P
Old 06-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to weigh in briefly, I have a Hooker set up on my '74 with the least restrictive baffles.This is the set up that came with the car. My personal preference has always been to own a vette with sidepipes (since I was like 10 years old) so this is my ideal set up. I wouldn't have chosen them in black but having the car for a few years now they look pretty sinister with the hood and other black features on the car. However, there is no denying that the larger primaries on the Hookers hurt your low end. I'm not sure how this will effect a pro charger, but I am interested to find out because I see something like that in my future. These things are noisy, I added an amp, some speakers in the kick panels and another amp/subwoofer in the back. Still I have to crank it up when I'm cruising with it. Some of this is because I have a 3.73 and a TH400 (to be changed out for 5 speed soon) so I rev pretty high most of the time but still, even at idle I'm loud. I like it and wouldn't have it any other way though. Lastly, the leg burns... you will get them, your passengers will get more because no matter how many times you remind them they will still put there leg on the pipe while exiting the vehicle. This will cause a yelp, followed by "I told you to be careful of that pipe" followed by a "you should take those things off there, that's not safe" to which you will respond "it's a life choice".

My sidepipes endure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XPy85JD_5o

FORGOT - you can buy side shields to eliminate the burns, I just haven't...

Last edited by Dantana; 06-09-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Sweet
Instructor

Love the way they look but that's it.
I had them and took them off. Could not enjoy the radio or conversations. After awhile the exhaust drown, drove me nutz.
The worst part is the exhaust fumes made me sick. No one likes to talk about this but that's why GM stop offering them and Fed laws were past that side exhaust needs to be more then 12" past the last opening window.
With the sidepipe exit right under your window and just in front of your rear tire as you move forward the wind pushes the exhaust back . The forward rotation of the tire pushes the exhaust to the front. The exhaust has no were to go but straight up and in your window.
There are guys on here that will disagree with me but this was my expierance with stock GM side pipes and what what I found out after I had them on my Vette.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Nothing looks and sounds like a car with side exhaust, then again I am biased.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:43 PM
warsurfer
Instructor

I have zero exhaust smell - that could be a tuning issue.

The racing vettes of that era ran side pipes (so did the Shelby Cobra's) so stating they cost performance makes no sense, if the engine is tuned with the pipes on it shouldn't be an issue. If you have a gutless 196whp then yes, putting an open exhaust will hurt you.

My drivability is fine and I can lug it @ 25mph in 6th gear so I don't think I've lost anything down low.

If you are going F/I don't worry about it, the more open the better.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:55 PM
DunskisC3
Advanced

Thanks Everyone! Based on the feedback, and Datana's youtube link (which prompted about a half hour watching other C3's) I came up with the following conclusion:

-Side Pipes look and sound ultra aggressive and I think show the best.
-Side Pipes are loud, limit conversation, can promote fumes coming into the car, and will at some point burn someone.
-Many believe side Pipes reduce low end performance.
-Rear end exhaust doesn't show as well, limit direct undercarriage work especially on drive train.
-Rear end exhaust has a slightly more subtle sound (muffler dependent)
-Rear end exhaust may be more practical for daily type drivers.

If I have missed something please let me know. My practical side knows I will be driving her often with passengers (and on weekend trips), but the look and sound of the side pipes is hard to look past.

Can some with side pipes elaborate on the ability, or inability to have conversations while driving?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by warsurfer
The racing vettes of that era ran side pipes (so did the Shelby Cobra's) so stating they cost performance makes no sense, if the engine is tuned with the pipes on it shouldn't be an issue. If you have a gutless 196whp then yes, putting an open exhaust will hurt you.

You can't be serious. Those sidepipes of that time were nothing more than a 4 inch pipe connected to the headers. Comparing them to the sidepipes that are put on street cars is not even close. The mufflers that are installed or the chambered pipes that are installed in most of these pipes are terrible. The exhaust comes back and slams into a wall. It goes from a 4 inch pipe into a 2 inch pipe. Some of the spiral ones are not much better. There are some excellent ones out there also, just be careful when shopping for a set of sidepipes for performance. If they are going on a 200 HP low rpm cruiser it really does not matter.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 527 Likes on 356 Posts

Hooker sidepipes with STS Baffles.

Noise:
Turns 2000 rpm at 65 mph with 5th gear. No problems hearing the radio or having a conversation. If I roll the windows up, it is even better. Very mellow when just maintaining speed but have a great sound when I get on it.

Burns:
Shields from www.cobrastuff.com. "Stainless shields" by Bangkok Dean are an alternative.

Fumes: Never had an issue even with the top up and window down once I got the idle mixture tuned right.

Overall, I love my sidepipes. In fact, the only reason I may get rid of them is that I am looking at getting a '69 BB with sidepipes. Then the '75 SB "may" go back to an undercar exhaust while the BB feeds the need.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:41 PM
auavette
Instructor

Try the side pipes with the STS baffles, that can sort of able to tune.
They do come with a cap and if you want more noise all you have to do is drill a hole in the cap. The bigger the hole the louder they sound, or you can uncap them so you can be as loud as you can. If you don't like it, you can always weld another cap on.
I do have a set of Hookers that I bought from Jet hot with shields from Steelshields.
The engine is a 496 with a 8-71 blower and dual 950cfm holley's
I do run mine uncapped
Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by auavette
Try the side pipes with the STS baffles, that can sort of able to tune.
They do come with a cap and if you want more noise all you have to do is drill a hole in the cap. The bigger the hole the louder they sound, or you can uncap them so you can be as loud as you can. If you don't like it, you can always weld another cap on.
I do have a set of Hookers that I bought from Jet hot with shields from Steelshields.
The engine is a 496 with a 8-71 blower and dual 950cfm holley's
I do run mine uncapped

I always liked the "tuneability" of the STS baffles. I recently opened mine a little and love the sound. I had it out on the interstate the other day doing 80 mph . . . that was music to my ears. There are some really good choices for shields, so burning legs should not be a problem. Some do not like the look of Hookers with the shields, but I think they make them look even better . . . it's a personal choice.

Last edited by redman76; 06-09-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 75' Side Pipes or dual exhaust opinions requested

Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
warsurfer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gordonm
You can't be serious. Those sidepipes of that time were nothing more than a 4 inch pipe connected to the headers. Comparing them to the sidepipes that are put on street cars is not even close. The mufflers that are installed or the chambered pipes that are installed in most of these pipes are terrible. The exhaust comes back and slams into a wall. It goes from a 4 inch pipe into a 2 inch pipe. Some of the spiral ones are not much better. There are some excellent ones out there also, just be careful when shopping for a set of sidepipes for performance. If they are going on a 200 HP low rpm cruiser it really does not matter.
I am serious. There are several muffler options, the ones I use have very little if any restriction (and very loud)-I'm pushing 700bhp so I'm moving a ton of air. I'm using Hooker SuperComps - the exact same thing they used back in the day with the least restrictive muffler option.

Yes there are some that are very restrictive, don't use those and you will be fine.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Actually on a low hp small block open headers or no inserts in teh pipes will hurt your performance. The small blocks need some back preasure to work well. I have some low restriction inserts in my hooker pipes now (don't know who made them since i bought them second hand). I use to have the reverse flows which are probably the worst for restrictions.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I'm not a big fan of sidepipes, and am probably in the minority on that but that is a personal decision.
I have Hooker headers and sidepipes on one of mine and they are on my short list of things to change. I'm not sure which inserts I have, but they are LOUD. It sure is convenient for working under the car, so I'll keep them until I have finished a few other things.

Quick Reply: 75' Side Pipes or dual exhaust opinions requested