C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone got any info. about MOS2 oil additive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:57 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Anyone got any info. about MOS2 oil additive?

I found some oil additive called MOS2 anti-friction from a company called LIQUI-MOLY, its a german company and it seems the germans using that substance to protect their flat tappets in their old Mercs and BMWs, could that be equivelent to adding ZDDP to our ZDDP-poor oils??

In short terms : Do that MOS2 thing protect my flat tappets?
Old 01-11-2023, 04:03 AM
Blackship
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Buried taboo subject lol
Old 01-11-2023, 01:53 PM
Prysmian46
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I use it in my Dodge Ram truck and my 82 CE. Both run a bit cooler. It just make your oil look darker.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:17 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Home brew oil mixing should be frowned upon unless you're a trained oil chemist, how are you going to strike the right balance for the application (or in this case choose the right form of Moly?)?
If you want an oil that provides more wear protection, then buy an oil made for the purpose of providing more wear protection and it will have more of the right anti-wear additives.

Oil additives-in-a-bottle, sold to consumers, are mostly the domain of snake oil, but moly has very real anti-wear and friction reducing benefits.

MoS2 has the big issue that it's not soluable in oil; it's just being suspended in it, which is why it settles out in the bottom of the jug and your oil pan and makes that black sludge.
It's also corrosive and has been proven to contribute to detonation if it gets into the combustion chamber, if you need more reasons not to just mix some MoS2 into your oil. (On the first part, most oils or additives that use it will include an additional anti-corrosion additive)

Many modern oils contain moly in the form of MoTDC instead of MoS2, because it's almost as effective at wear protection as MoS2 and it's actually oil soluble. MoS2 also has significant friction reduction benefits.
MoTDC is also not a temperature dependant anti-wear additive, unlike ZDDP, but is activated by pressure / contact and works at all temps. MoTDC an ZDDP usually get blended together to provide anti-wear abilities.

RedLine oils tend to have quite a lot of MoTDC in them; I'm sure plenty of others do, too.

Adam
Old 01-30-2023, 03:32 AM
Blackship
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Plenty use MoS2 "solid" additive for years with no problem and good results. Type MoS2 on Bitog.
Solid MoS2 does'nt at all work like Modtc. One is EP additive and other is involved with ZDDP in an AW process.
I ride a LS7 and hope that MoS2 will contribute to mitigate some supposed conception flaws (rods rubbing, valve tip-rocker interaction). 20kkm so far, so good.
Detonations ? Not at all for me. If you get any by oil combustion (blew by,...) i don't think that MoS2 will change anything (may be less blew by with MoS2 howewer...).
MoS2 makes your oil look like very old and after a bearing failure (black and glittering), i aggree it could be at least a psychological matter.

Last edited by Blackship; 01-30-2023 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:08 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

It only took 14 years for the OP to get an answer!
Old 01-30-2023, 11:35 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,811 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Necro thread of 14 years.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone got any info. about MOS2 oil additive?

Quick Reply: Anyone got any info. about MOS2 oil additive?