C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

555" Cross Country Tour with a solid roller and EFI!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:40 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Staying tuned in.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Vesa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
Is the a link to a website on that exact EFI?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:50 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

This is the system I'm using. It's the Dominator version of the Avenger. Mine has 66 lb injectors and the 2000 cfm throttle body along with the Holley manifold.

http://www.holley.com/types/Dominato...%20-%20ECU.asp

JIM
Old 05-30-2010, 06:28 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
This is the system I'm using. It's the Dominator version of the Avenger. Mine has 66 lb injectors and the 2000 cfm throttle body along with the Holley manifold.

http://www.holley.com/types/Dominato...%20-%20ECU.asp

JIM
Hmmm That looks like a simple system to install, set up and use Jim?
Kinda does away with all that potentially expensive mapping eh?
Ross
Old 05-30-2010, 08:43 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Once you put all the base parameters in..there are already quite a few base tunes to pic from based on cubes and cam size. The one for mine was pretty close to start with. It's been tuning itself great while it was on the dyno and even better as it's been on the road. It will basically *take care of itself* while still allowing you to customize anything you want to.

We won the Long Distance Award and an award for a Distinguised Vehicle at the car show. Really neat show with great folks. About 400 Vette's were there and the setting is great.

We just made it to Atlanta. I'll put Andy on a plane in the morning and I'll be heading for TX.

Wish me luck!

JIM
Old 05-30-2010, 08:46 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Good Luck , have a safe trip home.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:52 PM
lakebumm
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 63 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Jim,

Congradulations on the awards.

Jason & I enjoyed talking with you yesterday. Alot of good info, and your '67 is pretty impressive.

Tell Andy that we're looking forward to his article.

Good luck on your ride home.

BILL SR
Old 05-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm only an hour north of Atlanta on I-85.
I wonder if you took 85 South where SC turns into GA ?

-W
Old 05-31-2010, 12:03 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

We came down 441 I think? Then grabbed 85 into downtown on out to stay near the airport. Did we drive right by you??

Bill....great to see you and Jason too. Getting to hang with folks from the Forum here is what it's all about. Looking forward to seeing how all your future plans for that gorgeous C-2 come together. That is one sweet ride!! Oh btw---I've been thinking...Jason is right...you might as well build a 555" or larger!!! He heh heh...........

He's going to build that nasty 400 for his and it's going to take some stuff to spank the boy!

JIM
Old 05-31-2010, 12:22 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Here's a pic of the new system. It also includes the Holley DIS ignition system. Think of it as an arc welder that is fully controllable.

JIM
Old 05-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

Here's a pic of the new system. It also includes the Holley DIS ignition system. Think of it as an arc welder that is fully controllable.

JIM
Sweet setup! Are those GM/Delco coils, or Holley coils? Is the dwell adjustable?

Just for kicks, what alternator is that? Do you happen to know what it weighs?
Old 05-31-2010, 03:33 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, you really put FI on the car! It must work or you wouldn't keep it on the car. I'm anxious to hear what kind of power numbers you came up with.

Good luck!

Steve
Old 05-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We came down 441 I think? Then grabbed 85 into downtown on out to stay near the airport. Did we drive right by you??
Whew! nope.

I'm on I-85 at the SC-GA border. So close I can hear the truck stop.

-W
Old 05-31-2010, 08:29 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim,
You are living the life. You most have the biggest smile across your face.
Your setup is on serious monster, I can't wait to hear more about how the
setup performed and some mpg# and of course the horsepower numbers
between the EFI, and the carbs that was used on the dyno.

Thanks for sharing your adventure, I hope to be able to do those kind of
trips some time soon.

Riggs.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Chris Johnson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JIM
That's awesome, looks great! Does it sit any lower than a Dominator carb would? I have a Super Victor intake with a 1" spacer and a Pro System's Dominator, and I'm screwed on hood clearance. Runs better with the spacer...

If that system is friendlier, and if Holley tech support is better than it was with the old EFI system, I may consider going with that system!

Chris
Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks guys!

Made it home last night. We put Andy (editor) on a plane and I hit I-20 out of Atlanta. Only hit rain once...otherwise it was a nice 95* weather toasty drive home with the top down. I have a nice *farmer's tan* now!

The EFI did great still. Never really got a chance to play with tuning yet. It was raining when we left the car show in Maggie Valley so we didn't take the time to hook up the laptop to view everything. And since the software was loaded on Andy's laptop and not mine...and Andy took his with him...I just cruised home with whatever tune it came up with. The base parameters/targets are still pretty much what we used on the dyno..so there is definitely some play room for mileage....but I have to say it's driving very well. I had changed a couple of tables to lean the idle which worked...but I didn't change cold enrichment for those areas...so though it started and idled fine cold...I could tell it was a little lean when pulling out first thing in the morning before it warmed up. No big deal..just learning the system and I can just tweek the other areas and let it tune for it.

With the Dominator this thing regularly got 10-12 MPG on road trips like this. You had to be nice to it to get the 12mpg though. Yesterday I was cruising a lot at shall we say *above posted speed limits (70 mph)* and it got 13.7 MPG. I have no doubt there is at least a 15-16 mpg number in there with some tune time. You have to remember it's still got a 266/272@.050 -.788" lift cam that makes peak power up near 7000 rpm and a 1 to 1 trans that has cruise RPM at 2750-2900+.

As I've mentioned before, I've never felt this thing really sounded all that radical....actually pretty mild with this cam. Several people have commented that the EFI has made it even milder sounding if that's possible. Especially when it's all warmed up and sitting at a red light. One thing that really stood out to me when I pulled off the highway last night after hours of high speed cruising was that as I pulled to the redlight it just sat there and idled dead smooth. No muss no fuss. And when I took off...it was super smooth through the gears.

So here's how the last few months have gone.

1. Decide to install Holley EFI and test on engine dyno
2. Pull engine and decide to *look it over*
3. All looks great....but *while we're at it......*
4. Bore to 555" check block thoroughly, replace pistons and rods, rebalance, freshen heads.
5. Go to dyno with several cams, different heads, different intakes, new shaft rockers and an EFI system.
6.Two days on dyno switching parts and flogging this thing to 7000-7500 rpm so many times I forget.
7. Load it all up and come home last Friday.
8. Reconfigure motor to EFI setup (last tests were with carbs), swap cam, springs etc.
9. Drop motor in car around midnight Sat.
10. Lots of little fabrication stuff to accomodate the new Jesel Belt drive and a little extra for the EFI.
11. Install EFI in car and finally start it for first time at 3am Tuesday night/Wed morning.
12. Sleep a few hours and hit the road for a 2500 mile road trip without even a trip around the block!
13. Take lots of pics for magazine articles. Wait 'till you see the ones of it sitting in the middle of Bealle St. in Memphis! Had some fancy talking going on with the local Police to pull that one off! Plus we got some great night shots on top of a parking garage!
14. Andy found the rollbar to be an excellent place to hang from to shoot moving/action pictures. We shot a feature on a twin turbo 1000HP C-6 vette with me in my car leading and Andy sitting in pass. seat on his knees shooting the other Vette coming around corners as he hung onto the rollbar!
15. Yes....I did take a ride in the 1000 HP C-6. Boost is neat stuff!!!
16. Burned 2 Qts of oil for the trip. Jesel Belt drive didn't leak a drop. Thought about checking valves a couple of times...but they still sounded like they did when I left...so never pulled the covers.
17. Did a number of..shall we say *spirited* tire melting excursions and a few 7000 RPM high gear hard pulls. Power with EFI still feels great!
18. Ran in some serious t-storms and hail, climbed mountains, idled in 95* heat traffic jams, ran through twisty backroads for miles and miles with incredible scenery.
19. Met tons of great folks along the way. Everyone of them had a story to tell and that was really cool...use the car to meet folks! Won the *Long Distance* award and an *Award of Distinction* plaque at the car show!
20. Brought it all home in one piece with no real issues. In fact...halfway through the trip we remembered the box of spare sensors and stuff we had left on the table at the shop! Never needed any of it anyway!

Anyone who is contemplating getting out more with their car really should do it. It's a great time and these things really can handle it! There will be a lot more detail in the magazine articles...but in the meantime...get your cars out and have some fun this summer!!

JIM
Old 06-01-2010, 12:20 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Chris Johnson
That's awesome, looks great! Does it sit any lower than a Dominator carb would? I have a Super Victor intake with a 1" spacer and a Pro System's Dominator, and I'm screwed on hood clearance. Runs better with the spacer...Chris
The Holley EFI intake is about as tall as my Super Victor with a 1" spacer. I haven't measured the throttle body yet, but it all fits under my hood. To use the 1" spacer on my Super Vic I have to *jack up* the rear of the hood at the track with extensions. The issue it the length of the carb vs the EFI.

Interestingly, the Holley EFI, Brodix race and the Super Victor with a spacer are about dead even. EFI is a little shorter.

I will admit I ran the whole trip with no air filter...which I often did with the carb also. I have a 16" Dominator filter that drops over the carb and seals to the hood....but it didn't clear the coil packs the way I have them mounted...and at 3am, I wasn't going to mess with it!

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To 555" Cross Country Tour with a solid roller and EFI!

Old 06-01-2010, 02:09 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Who says Magazine editors don't get involved in this stuff?

Here's Andy Bolig from Corvette Enthusiast at about 3:30 AM where we find out if the hood will close! And he thought he was just going to fly in and go Vette ridin'!! SURPRISE!! You come to the Batcave/Skunkworks you get put to work!

Somewhere in Arkansas...Buzz Lightyear is saying it's looking bad ahead!

Here's where I demonstrate that it's best to just keep running in the rain with the top down and let it *blow over* than to stop and get soaked putting the top up! Buzz still ain't too sure!

Oh yeah...forgot to mention that during the install of the coil packs I unplugged the wiper motor and forgot to plug it back in. Discovered that somewhere in Arkansas during the horizontal rain and hail storm!

Real men don't need no stinking wipers!

JIM
Old 06-01-2010, 02:52 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

That's awesome, Jim. The pic of Buzz leading the way is great.

Why did you burn 2 qts of oil?

And.......I didn't see a 9 second timeslip in there. You're getting soft on us.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Man I wish I'd known you were in Memphis. Would have loved to have seen your car in person down on Beale Street. Looking to enjoy the article...

Quick Reply: 555" Cross Country Tour with a solid roller and EFI!