C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stinger Hood Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:41 PM
80vette21
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Stinger Hood Help!

How's it going everybody. Im currently in the process of getting my car back on the road after doing my 383 stroker/700r4 build over the summer, but I need some help! Im trying to order a new hood and I really like the Stinger hood. However, it needs to clear the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake and 3" filter. This hood offers an advertised 3 5/8" of total clearance(not additional clearance)....Ive tried measuring to get an idea and see if itll fit, but its too close to tell.

What I want to know is if anybody has any experience with this hood on a C3 with an aftermarket intake manifold.

My car is black on red, and this is what I plan on doing if I can get the stinger on there....

Oh yeah, if it doesnt fit the guy at the custom body shop that Im having fit it and paint it suggested that he could cut and raise the Stinger scoop to make a bigger cowl.....but Im not sure if I'd really like that look........ Any thoughts?

If I doesnt fit and I decide I dont want to get it and cut it to increase the cowl, I might end up just going with an L88 hood seeing that gives 4 1/8" total clearance! Or maybe a high rise hood like this....

Please, I appreciate any help!

Thanks

EDIT:

Heres a picture of my motor in the car for reference....

Last edited by 80vette21; 05-24-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Father N Son
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

l88 is
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The stinger hood will look great, many have had them custom lifted and if you don't go too high, it still can look pretty decent. Just ask the forum to post pictures of their custom raised stinger hoods. I am sure you will get lots to look at.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:19 PM
79 vette head
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

keep searching there was a guy on here that cut it up to do what you want to do. i dont remember how it came out. i think you need something called a drop base air cleaner and a smaller filter to make it work the way it is being that you have the hi rise intake. you could also change the intake to lower it
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 PM
80vette21
Racer

Originally Posted by 79 vette head
keep searching there was a guy on here that cut it up to do what you want to do. i dont remember how it came out. i think you need something called a drop base air cleaner and a smaller filter to make it work the way it is being that you have the hi rise intake. you could also change the intake to lower it
I cant go any lower with my air cleaner base because of my electric choke.

I currently have a 3" cleaner, and could go to a 1.5" but I'd rather not...

Okay, so who's got the pictures.....post 'em up! lol
Old 05-30-2010, 10:30 PM
80vette21
Racer

*BUMP*

I still need some serious help! My head is spinning lol.

I'm starting to think the stinger wont fit, and I dont want to chop it up. I dont know how to figure out how much clearance I need....

Who out there has experience with a motor setup similar to mine? What have you done for a hood?

Im now looking at other options. Vanacor's regular long L88 looks very nice, but will it clear? They have a 4" extra-high L88 hood. I think this should fit.....right?? Id rather not get the obnoxiously high L88 unless I have to though....

Please, any opinions are greatly appreciated, and pictures are even better! Ive searched and read every related hood thread on here, but Im still lost.

Last edited by 80vette21; 05-30-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:59 PM
coda2112
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1981 vette with a ZZ3 motor. I purchased this hood but would not clear. I went to a low pro file air cleaner but still needed another 1/2 inch. Had to return it which cost my $100.00.

Get notified of new replies

To Stinger Hood Help!

Quick Reply: Stinger Hood Help!