C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Pulls when Braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Rich_71Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Pulls when Braking

I finally took the first ride of the spring I noticed that when coming to a stop that the car pulls to the right. I am assuming a brake piston may be hung up on the left side. Any other suggestions as to the cause? What would be the best way to fix this? I never have worked on brakes.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Project80
Racer

Originally Posted by Rich_71Vette
I finally took the first ride of the spring I noticed that when coming to a stop that the car pulls to the right. I am assuming a brake piston may be hung up on the left side. Any other suggestions as to the cause? What would be the best way to fix this? I never have worked on brakes.

Thanks
Simple test -
Jack up the front end so that the front wheels are just clear of the ground and have somebody press the brake pedal as you try to spin the tires by hand. If you can get one to spin, you need to look further at that caliper.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Attfay Elleybay
Burning Brakes

Check for leaks on the left side
Old 05-23-2010, 09:26 PM
jlaw68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure how old your rubber brake lines are but they eventually deteriorate on the inside. i just replaced the ones on the front of my 78 and it cured my pulling issues. i had no leaks so that was the only thing i could figure that would cause this.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

I think the main problem with classic vette brakes is that people don't drive them for months. I think the common story is that the brakes worked fine when it was parked last Fall, but in the Spring the brakes were spongy or the car pulls, etc. You might want to just refresh the brake fluid i.e. bleed the brakes so that there's all fresh fluid. If you bleed the brakes using the pedal then you can also diagnose any m/c or caliper problems.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

commonly C3's first indication of leaking caliper and / or collapsed rubber line.

My calipers were not so old but one leaked badly; my lines were ancient.

I installed rebuilt Lonestar calipers & new Wagner rubber lines; instant gratification!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:36 PM
marz
Burning Brakes

My experience in the past was a bad hose on the opposite side. If you have never replaced hoses that is where I would start. JMO.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlaw68
not sure how old your rubber brake lines are but they eventually deteriorate on the inside. i just replaced the ones on the front of my 78 and it cured my pulling issues. i had no leaks so that was the only thing i could figure that would cause this.
Had the same problem and the rubber lines weren't that old. It cured the pull when braking.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Rich_71Vette
Instructor

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally got the brakes repaired. It turned out that 3 calipers had slight leaks. I also had 2 brake hoses look a bit weak, so replaced them also. No surprise that the brakes feel better than they ever have in the 4 years I have had the car.

On the way home from the garage, the fuel pump quit. Got that replaced, then today finally got to give the car a good cleaning (since putting it away from last winter!) and now the power windows don't close!!

Gotta love a nearly 40 year old car.

Thanks again

Rich
Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 PM
NATO61
5th Gear

Hey , I been having the same pulling to the right when braking issue. I changed the left caliper and noticed that fluid was coming right through the pistons on old one. I used brake cleaner but the pads and everything else was oily from the fluid. I still have the problem and thats why Im looking here. I think i need to clean the rotor better, and change the pads since I think they have been ruined by the fluid. Also It seemed that I wasnt able to bleed this "drivers side" as well as the passnger side. The fluid is fizzy when I bleed it. dambbit. Let me know if you come up with anything . Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Car Pulls when Braking

Quick Reply: Car Pulls when Braking