C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Seats in a 79?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:24 PM
hkdcamcain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Seats in a 79?

Im restoring my interior on my 79 and the seats are beyond gone, one is missing and one is cut/ripped/stained and since im having to rip the entire interior out anyway, i figure id just replace it all with new stuff. So i need seats! im 6ft 4, i know im a big guy... i drive an s2000... anyway, anyone know what seats would fit a big guy and still give me waist and head room (ish)? thanks
Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 AM
hkdcamcain
Intermediate

bump
Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Lt1er
Drifting

You need head room. The fix is to cut out the floor hump under the seat and reglass it in flat with the feet area. That gains about 2.5 inches. You need to look at racing seats which can be mounted flat and clear back to the battery box.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:54 PM
hkdcamcain
Intermediate

K, makes sense, you know of any?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

This is a sparco seat. I made custom flat bars that bolt to the original 4 bolt holes. I to mounted my seat as low as possible and all the way back to the battery box.

All these racing seats give dimensions. I have the non folding for the driver and a folding for the passenger

Last edited by gkull; 05-21-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hkdcamcain
Im restoring my interior on my 79 and the seats are beyond gone, one is missing and one is cut/ripped/stained and since im having to rip the entire interior out anyway, i figure id just replace it all with new stuff. So i need seats! im 6ft 4, i know im a big guy... i drive an s2000... anyway, anyone know what seats would fit a big guy and still give me waist and head room (ish)? thanks
If your considering OEM seats consider Fiero seats. Common mod. They are sized correctly and sit low and the price is right.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:07 PM
mupepe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
If your considering OEM seats consider Fiero seats. Common mod. They are sized correctly and sit low and the price is right.
where can i check out the prices on them?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:18 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mupepe
where can i check out the prices on them?
1984-1989 GM Fiero

They can be found on Ebay and Craigslist for under $100/pair.
You can get cloth new covers for under $200.
You can get vinyl covers for around $350.
You can get leather for around $700.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...t-seats-2.html
http://www.mrmikes.com/corvettes.htm
Old 05-21-2010, 04:45 PM
mupepe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
1984-1989 GM Fiero

They can be found on Ebay and Craigslist for under $100/pair.
You can get cloth new covers for under $200.
You can get vinyl covers for around $350.
You can get leather for around $700.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...t-seats-2.html
http://www.mrmikes.com/corvettes.htm
great! thanks!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:56 PM
hkdcamcain
Intermediate

I wanted to run 4pt harnesses which is why i was trying to find the racing seats, i do realize how annoying it would be to make the seats fit, which is my im asking yall lol, im ordering my GM 350 HO and new 5speed tranny within the next two months, then gutting the interior and seeing where to start... bleh
Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

George, do you have any idea just how much lower your bottom is with those Sparcos the way you've mounted them vs. with the stockers? ...and which particular model seats those are?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:46 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
George, do you have any idea just how much lower your bottom is with those Sparcos the way you've mounted them vs. with the stockers? ...and which particular model seats those are?

Sparco Ultra fiber seats are maybe an inch thick. They only weigh 12 pounds. Comfortable enough for me to drive 1500 miles in one day. I just used two 1 1/2 wide by 1/8th thick steel stock bolted to the seat bottom and bolted to the floor. I originally bought the kit that used the stock seat slider, but it was to high and my helmet would touch the t-top panel. I considered just taking out the snap in panel out of the t-top for some extra head space. If I was taller I would have cut out the floor and made it level with the foot area. Maybe even cut the battery box wall and get a couple of more inches. I still might.

It is really nice to drive with your legs nearly straight out. The flat bar stock I drilled three sets of holes and all the way forward my wife could actually drive my Vette. All the way back and her feet can't even touch the pedals
Old 05-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
This is a sparco seat. I made custom flat bars that bolt to the original 4 bolt holes. I to mounted my seat as low as possible and all the way back to the battery box.

All these racing seats give dimensions. I have the non folding for the driver and a folding for the passenger

Hey George, who is the foxy lady? Is that your daughter? You've got big brass ones if your running numbers on the street. It's say's "Race Car" to the local heat here in Cali. It also says "don't cover me" to the insurance companies here, who take a picture of every car covered.

I ran those Sparcos in my Porsche for a year. I yanked them and put the stock seats back in. They are great for racing and yanking and banking in the mountains, but if you wear a sport coat to work daily, they are a pain in the *** to get in, hook up the four point harness, and turn to look behind you to back out, then realize you left your cell inside. I'm 6' 240lbs, so that may be a part of the problem. Also, they don't fold, so getting to the storage area behind the seats is difficult. I know, all minor inconveniences, but after a year you get tired of them. I still have the Sparcos up in the attic. I'll use them on some future project that will only get driven at autocross events and thru the mountains, and hardly ever to work. I'm recoverning my stock '79 seats which aren't that heavy surprisingly.
Bee Jay
Old 05-22-2010, 10:40 AM
gkull
Team Owner

My wife! Yes, I drive around with the numbers. They are part of the door. It would require a repaint to get rid of them. I got stopped for speeding and the cop kind of mentioned them also.

I'm a bit smaller at 180 pounds and fit very comfortably
Old 05-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gkull
My wife! Yes, I drive around with the numbers. They are part of the door. It would require a repaint to get rid of them. I got stopped for speeding and the cop kind of mentioned them also.

I'm a bit smaller at 180 pounds and fit very comfortably
Your wife? You lie! I'm calling the cops. She's half your age and beautiful too. I bet you used the Vette to get her interested in you.] 180lbs? I'd have to skip a few meals to get down to 230lbs. There is just more of me to love.
Bee Jay
Old 05-23-2010, 04:52 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

OMP Design II Sports recliner seats. I'm 6ft, 210lbs, and I couldn't wear a helmet with the new seats.
These seats will fit... about the driver, it could be a bit tricky. Full story & pictures here :

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...rial-pics.html

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 05-23-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

73StreetRace those OMP's look nice. However, it is important to note that the real height issue isn't really about how tall you are standing, but how tall you are in the saddle, as not everyone has the same torso/leg ratio. I'm only 5'10", but sit higher than my 6'2" father, while he has to push the seat back further than I. As you may see in my avatar, Reynard didn't fully take this into account when designing the 98E cockpit, which presents somewhat of an aero disadvantage and safety issue.

I inquired of George about seat height vs. that with OEM seats because that is the reference by which I can judge whether or not a particular seat/installation might work better for me. I'd really like to be able to re-install my driver's side T-top headliner...

edit - BTW, 73StreetRace, what steering wheel is that? Looking at something along the lines of Momo's Mod 7 or 8, but open to suggestions.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 05-23-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Seats in a 79?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

73StreetRace those OMP's look nice. However, it is important to note that the real height issue isn't really about how tall you are standing, but how tall you are in the saddle, as not everyone has the same torso/leg ratio. I'm only 5'10", but sit higher than my 6'2" father, while he has to push the seat back further than I. As you may see in my avatar, Reynard didn't fully take this into account when designing the 98E cockpit, which presents somewhat of an aero disadvantage and safety issue.

I inquired of George about seat height vs. that with OEM seats because that is the reference by which I can judge whether or not a particular seat/installation might work better for me. I'd really like to be able to re-install my driver's side T-top headliner...
Even with the t-top liner out, my helmet doesn't fit. No problem because most autocross events let me run with my tops off. But I would like to do other events some day like the Mojave Mile or Willow Springs or Button Willow. I may explore Georges suggestion of the floor on the drivers side. Anybody do this? How hard is that?
Bee Jay
Old 05-23-2010, 07:15 PM
gkull
Team Owner

[
I just measured from my Sparco seat bottom straight up to the head liner and it is @ 36 inches. So sit on a hard surface and place a tape 36 inches up and see how far above your head that is.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:36 AM
bluzman2004
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

73Streetrace, so those when in without too much trouble? I'v been needing to up grade from my stock seats since the sholder belts on my 5 point harness doesn't have anything to go through. They just slide around the stock seat. Looks like a good price, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racing Seats in a 79?