C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Frame Rebuild 69 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:52 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Convertible Top Frame Rebuild 69 Questions

So I have been fixing by Convertible top frame as it was very loose and had some rust issues. Fixed the rust and took one side apart by grinding off the rivets. Blasted and painted the removed parts. I kept the other side together so I would match up the other side when I put it together.

Has anyone else here replaced the rivets etc?

The problem I have is the rivet repair kit has a bunch of differences. The plastic bushing are longer and larger O.D. so they need to be cut down to work, the original top used large and small spring washers. The repair kit only includes the small size. My original top used a few plastic washers, but the replacement kit includes double the number.

The distributor sent me another kit, but it is the same and I have left a message for the original supplier in California. There are no instructions and I have searched for some online, but don't see any info on rebuilding the frames on these.

Anyone have experience with rebuilding the frames? I need to get it done soon!

Last edited by RobRace10; 05-17-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you tried the 69 Corvette Assembly Manual? It usually has every washer and detail part you could think of.

I'll check mine tonight and see.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 AM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I looked in the assembly manual and didn't see anything. I'm putting the frame back together with some old parts and modified new parts. The washers are also the wrong ID so I have to drill them all out. The rebuild kits are not what I would call plug and play!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:44 AM
jaychis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Paragon a call. They call their parts re-issues, since they are manufactured exactly like the originals. https://www.paragoncorvette.com/ I believe they also carry some NOS as well. This is one of the only vendors where you can get bolts, washers, etc that look like they came from the factory. I feel your pain. I have ordered parts that do not match up at all and at worst I have paid a premium for the same fasteners (same markings) I could get at Fastenel or our higher end hardware store for a much cheaper price. You may pay a little extra but the product is worth it. If anything give them a call and explain your situation. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer69
Have you tried the 69 Corvette Assembly Manual? It usually has every washer and detail part you could think of.

I'll check mine tonight and see.
AIM has final assembly of the car - not the construction of individual assemblies.

-W

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top Frame Rebuild 69 Questions

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Frame Rebuild 69 Questions