C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No brake lights in '80!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Slotehog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default No brake lights in '80!

Ok ladies and gents...here's the deal:

Brake lights do not work (engine running or off). Both blinkers, flashers, and reverse lights do. I am assuming it has something to do with a ground but have absolutely no idea where to find said grounds. If someone can offer assistance on the locations of these grounds it would be greatly appreciated! Pictures will help exponentially.

With all the knowledge floating around this forum, I'm sure it will be only a matter of time before my rear end will be lit up

Thanks.

Andy
Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Since your flashers work the STOP/HAZARD fuse will be good.
The blinkers and the brake light is the same so the ground must be good.
The wiring for the blinkers and brake lights is the same wires so its not that.
That leaves the stop light brake switch or the turn signal switch as the culprits.
I think I got that right , I just drove 1200 miles and I'm still jet lagging a bit.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

check your brake light switch- it is alongside the brake pedal arm (yep,under the dash). put a meter on it and see if the switch opens/closes. I assume its probly open at all times. tip- get ur kid neighbor to do it with u supervising.!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:05 PM
tak82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a forum member won't light you up I'm sure a cop will eventualy, sound to me like the switch on the pedal.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is your turn signal switch loose or does it fail to return to the off position? The brake lights are routed through the turn signal switch and if the switch is faulty they may not work. My turn signal switch worked but it was loose feeling and didn't click positively between positions. When the switch was down for a left turn (engine off) the left brake light would work. When the switch was in the center position the right brake light would work. When the right turn was activated (engine off) neither brake light worked. Replacing the turn signal switch solved the problem.

Rick B.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:25 AM
Slotehog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help and suggestions everybody! It turned out to be the brake switch. It just needed a good ole fashioned fingering. After pulling the switch from it's bracket and seeing the brakes light up, I readjusted it so that it wasn't pushed in at all times. The switch probably needs to be replaced but will work until I get a chance to grab one.

Get notified of new replies

To No brake lights in '80!

Quick Reply: No brake lights in '80!