C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The oil Gods have spoken BP OIL

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default The oil Gods have spoken BP OIL

Not too shabby, I'll use BRAD PENN oil in my motor any day like I said from the beginning
Time to update the sticky, can you give me a yea haww and look it's dated today !

And I do not want to hear any BS about which labs are better than others keep that : to yourself, signed Wayne the oil guy

Last edited by MotorHead; 04-09-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Hauq`
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool; I like the stuff, there break in oil worked great, and I've had good luck with their 20-50.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:22 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently changed to their 10W-40 High Performance Oil based on a 2 hour cellphone conversation with a lubricant engineer that is now the West Coast distributor for Brad Penn brand. I now run their oil in both of my '71 LS6 Corvettes.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

They got allot of mud slug at them for making a perfectly good high performance product
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brad Penn's recently introduced 10W-40 wt High Performance Oil from the Northern California distributors should run $6.34 a qt. retail. If your able to acquire it for less, terrific. I bought 2 cases, each from a different distributor, the price was almost identical, $75.00 a case, shipping to CA is expensive from Bradford, PA.

I was asked if I would like to be a distributor, but I don't have anyplace to store a pallat of oil (80 cs. is the minimum) and a $6K purchase cost is not in the cards at the present time.

Last edited by early shark; 04-09-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cool!

will definitely save this.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is the 20W/50 BP oil labeled Racing Oil or High Performance oil? Which lab did the testing? Don't forget the analysis results I posted on BP 20W/50 Racing Oil one month ago. Also should keep this info on one thread. As most of you know, one is already alive under "List of Flat Tappet Oils". Why start a new one??
Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Neptune75
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brad penn is what i run,,, love it!!!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So does Brad Penn.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by MotorHead
They got allot of mud slug at them for making a perfectly good high performance product
Good results. Your machinist and my machinist both use it. Still has me scratching my head as to why the test results vary so much from one test to the other. I have seen a dozen tests of their oil and the Zink ranges from under 800 to your test being the highest. Seen 2 tests over 1100 out of all of them, yours and Billa's. Some of the other oils seem to come out within 5% of advertised every test so I really can't explain it.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 PM
fwillison
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use any brand of off the shelf API service category CJ-4 oil and it will be just as good, with 12 ppm ZDDP
CJ-4 must be listed as the first service category on the API "donut" on the label, if so you are assured 12 ppm ZDDP
Old 04-09-2010, 11:43 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by fwillison
use any brand of off the shelf API service category CJ-4 oil and it will be just as good, with 12 ppm ZDDP
CJ-4 must be listed as the first service category on the API "donut" on the label, if so you are assured 12 ppm ZDDP
CJ-4 is limited to 1200 PPM max most are well under 1000.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 PM
fwillison
Racer

Originally Posted by 63mako
CJ-4 is limited to 1200 PPM max most are well under 1000.
well, I'm just parroting what Duke Williams has written in his paper on engine oil:

"The current CJ-4 specification also limits P due to the addition of catalysts to 2007 and later over-the-road heavy-duty diesel engines, but the limitation is 0.12%, which is about the same level as earlier S and C category oils. Typical CJ-4s analyze at 0.11-0.12% P, and this concentration of ZDDP is necessary to pass the tougher CJ-4 anti-wear test suite. As a general rule, the CJ-4 test suite is a higher hurdle than the SM test suite.

Thus, CJ-4 is the best current commonly available oil for vintage engines because you are essentially guaranteed the ideal concentration of ZDDP for maximum protection of vintage engine sliding surface components. If you happen across a (first listed service category) CI-4, it is perfectly acceptable. CI-4 has no P limitation, but the typical amount is about the same as the 0.12% CJ-4 limit – not enough to be of material difference, so there is absolutely no need to seek out CI-4 in lieu of CJ-4."

He is a pretty high authority, but as I've said, I don't really have first hand knowledge.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 PM
TheFinn
Racer

No.

Their product, when measured in separate occasions, have shown big variance in it's properties. That is not a sign of a good product. Why it is so (variance) I don't know but that is enough for me to look elsewhere for oil.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:35 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheFinn
No.

Their product, when measured in separate occasions, have shown big variance in it's properties. That is not a sign of a good product. Why it is so (variance) I don't know but that is enough for me to look elsewhere for oil.

They changed their formulation 2 years ago if you read you stuff, probably the bad results are old oil. My friend owns a race engine shop and has not had one oil related failure since changing to Brad Penn good luck on your search.

As for the quote about it already beiing on the list of flat tappet oils, read the list again

THe results are what they are and pretty much what I suspected, muy buddy is not a novice and builds hundreds of motors a year and he is not the only engine builder that swears by it. Any failure comes out of his wallet. When the numbers dated yesterday are in front of you and you can't see them there is something wrong.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:14 AM
TheFinn
Racer

So your test is correct and the rest are not?

In the same sticky topic there are links to test results that show lower than expected zinc and phosphorous levels for Brad Penn oil(s). I'm not questioning
- your test results
- your buddy's engine building abilities
- his shop's zero engine failures

What I want to know is what is the reason for the variance in test results for Brad Penn oil?

You see, I would really like to use Brad Penn oils as the Finnish importer is located just three kilometers from where I work. Because of my roller engine I probably could use it despite of the variances but as long as there is no logical and trustworthy explanation for the variance, I consider BP products good but that their quality fluctuates. And because of this as long as the oil test results are conflicting I will use other oil brands that test evenly. Despite the fact that their importer is 240 kilometers away.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:23 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

DId you read the part where I stated BP changed their formulation 2 years ago. Take a look at the date on the reports on the net, more than 2 years old they don't mean anything.

Good luck with you interests, and I would seriously consider using a oil that has 1440 ppm Zinc no matter who makes it

Get notified of new replies

To The oil Gods have spoken BP OIL

Old 04-10-2010, 12:31 PM
TheFinn
Racer

Yes, but BP did state even back then, that their products contain the amount they advertise.
I believe they make good products, just too much inconcistencies for my taste.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

By the way I am not a BP cheerleader. I just don't like misinformation of any kind.

WHen I was building my very expensive 427ci small block my buddy told me to use Brad Penn oil 20W50. He never stated any numbers or showed me any charts or diagrams.

He simply told me he has had no oil related failures as a direct result of using this oil. He told me he can't keep enough in stock. He is a millionaire and therefore making correct decisions is an every day occurrence for him. So I take whatever he says as gospel
Old 04-10-2010, 02:18 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

He simply told me he has had no oil related failures as a direct result of using this oil.
Has he had any oil related failures as a direct result of any other brand?

Quick Reply: The oil Gods have spoken BP OIL